Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to rent a towable boom lift that weighs 3400 lbs to paint my house. I will be having it delivered so my question is do you think my Outback will be capable of moving the boom lift around my yard without issue, given my Outback is rated at 2700 lbs?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2021 OB Touring, 2011 OB Premium
522 Posts
I need to rent a towable boom lift that weighs 3400 lbs to paint my house. I will be having it delivered so my question is do you think my Outback will be capable of moving the boom lift around my yard without issue, given my Outback is rated at 2700 lbs?

Thanks.
If I were you, I would not exceed the towing capacity of 2700 lbs. The CVT is a problem prone transmission and you’re asking for trouble in my opinion if you exceed that capacity by 800 lbs. What’s more, if you have any soft ground in which the car or boom sinks, it’ll be that much more of a load on the power train.

·
Registered
2011 6MT Outback Premium
19 Posts
I personally would do it. 6MT but I think in this application the CVT (cold) might be better.

·
Registered
2021 Outback Premium
22 Posts
I mean you can move just about anything if the ground is flat and hard. Of course at some point you simply cannot overcome inertia but we are not talking about that here. Towing limits reflect that most people want to tow that weight at highway speeds, over potholes, etc, all of which put extra strain on the powertrain and brakes and trailer mount. I think your yard setup is going to be a bigger determinant than anything else. Mine for example is generally soft, sloped sloped in places, and unevenly so; I would not do it. Clearcut flat ranch yard in Nevada with mostly hardpan? Different story.

It's kind of like saying, can I move a 150lb washing machine by myself. Yes, if it's on the concrete floor and I can shove it two inches at a time. No, if I have to move it outside, uphill, to the shed.

Bassman's advice is spot on IMO.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
4,560 Posts
I tend to concur with what others have said. If the ground is level and solid I wouldn't worry too much about using the Outback to move it around. If those two things are good then the only thing I would think about is the tongue weight. I wouldn't worry about being a bit over the 200lb tongue weight limit for low-speed maneuvering on hard level ground, but it could be a problem if the tongue weight is way over the 200lbs. It could be possible to position the boom to distribute the weight away from the tongue while moving it but I don't know if that can be done.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
4,560 Posts
If money were no object I would get one of these just for the cool factor. Except I would be so busy playing with it I would never get the house painted.

It might be possible to rent something similar at the same time as the lift.

·
Registered
2017 Subaru Outback, Limited w/Eyesight
11 Posts
Send it.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Limited w/ Eyesight
10 Posts
I would do it like others have said only if the yard is level and solid, I wouldn't want to drag it up a steep incline or have to pull hard to get the wheels out of a hole dug in the soft soil.

I would also let the engine run for a few minutes after pulling to let the oil and coolant run a little longer just in case this puts a lot of heat in the engine and transmission. I wouldn't want to shut it off as soon as I'm done if everything's still super hot, but just as a "being ultra-mega-safe" measure

1 - 10 of 10 Posts