Subaru Outback Forums banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Premium Member
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,428 Posts
Also why did subaru ditch harman as a hardware oem?
All the MY 2015-2019 head units (except base trim) were sourced from Fujitsu Ten (now Denso Ten). The high-end "HK" systems added a Harman DSP/power amplifier downstream of the F10 head unit, as well as matching speakers. Head units for base trim were sourced from Clarion.

At some point in the past, source code for the open-source software in the F10 head units was available for free public download. Of course, that OS source code, by itself, was of little practical use.

Reactions: walker

·
Premium Member
2018 Outback Premium 2.5i, Twilight Blue and Titanium Gray
41 Posts
2018 Outback Premium and just received the email today.

·
Registered
15 Posts
All the MY 2015-2019 head units (except base trim) were sourced from Fujitsu Ten (now Denso Ten). The high-end "HK" systems added a Harman DSP/power amplifier downstream of the F10 head unit, as well as matching speakers. Head units for base trim were sourced from Clarion.

At some point in the past, source code for the open-source software in the F10 head units was available for free public download. Of course, that OS source code, by itself, was of little practical use.
The higher end models have a headunit sourced directly from harman. Looked up fcc ID. Although, harman's stuff is closed source. They keep it under lock and key.

·
Premium Member
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,428 Posts
Looked up fcc ID.
It's been more than 30 years since I had a project requiring FCC compliance testing and certification, so I'm not up on current practices. But it makes sense that adding a Harman DSP/amp to a F10 head unit would require recertification of the complete system, as installed in a vehicle.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I got the email as well.

Given how buried this interface is, hopefully there are no second-order effects with the head unit when it's reinstalled.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Outback 3.6r Touring
707 Posts
I have not received any notice yet. Those of you that are receiving emails or letters are you currently active subscribers?

·
Registered
18 Outback 3.6r Touring
707 Posts
I never got an email of my wife's 2017 Outback.
If I didn't look at MySubaru and this site I wouldn't have known about it.
Nothing about this at MySubaru. Just a note that I’m not subscribe to any services, my guaranteed trade, a $7 off oil change coupon and some trade up offers on 2021 models.

·
Registered
8,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
the training information indicates this is complimentary for active subscribers only. The notification section specifically calls out active subscribers only for email notifications, so that makes sense.

I'm guessing if you were under warranty and didn't want to subscribe you could get whatever upgrade for free.... the one situation they show for someone without an active subscription is that the customer can sign up for a starlink subscription and then have the upgrade performed. That would also cover someone - say you sold the car, and someone wanted to subscribe to STARLINK, they'd get some notice they'd have to have a free upgrade performed at the dealer to sign up.

"Claim will be submitted as a Policy Adjustment; An active STARLINK Subscription is required prior to completing the complimentary update; if the customer is not an active subscriber and is interested in receiving the update/service, they have the option of enrolling in a STARLINK subscription first"

Subaru of America isn't upgrading all the cars, only the ones with active subscriptions.

·
Registered
2019 Outback Limited
193 Posts
the training information indicates this is complimentary for active subscribers only. The notification section specifically calls out active subscribers only for email notifications, so that makes sense.

I'm guessing if you were under warranty and didn't want to subscribe you could get whatever upgrade for free.... the one situation they show for someone without an active subscription is that the customer can sign up for a starlink subscription and then have the upgrade performed. That would also cover someone - say you sold the car, and someone wanted to subscribe to STARLINK, they'd get some notice they'd have to have a free upgrade performed at the dealer to sign up.

"Claim will be submitted as a Policy Adjustment; An active STARLINK Subscription is required prior to completing the complimentary update; if the customer is not an active subscriber and is interested in receiving the update/service, they have the option of enrolling in a STARLINK subscription first"

Subaru of America isn't upgrading all the cars, only the ones with active subscriptions.
I have a active subscription on the 2017 but still didn't get a notification.
Dealer verified it was active and scheduled an appointment for the 30th
Since I made the appointment on the 18th it might have triggered not sending a email

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Outback Touring 3.6R, Crystal White Pearl
623 Posts
OK they told me today they don't have the 'file' to update cars yet. Maybe Friday or Monday.

Also told me our 2018 has 4g hardware? hmmm

Reactions: walker

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
4,500 Posts
I have not received any notice yet. Those of you that are receiving emails or letters are you currently active subscribers?
I canceled my Starlink subscription on February 17 because the discount code no longer worked and it was time to renew.

I received the email about the update on March 22. The email does specify that an active subscription is required to get the free update. Most likely the system just hadn't caught up with my cancellation and that is why I got the email.

·
Registered
2019 Outback Limited
193 Posts
Well my wife's 2017 Outback is in the service department queue for the update.
The Good news: for her car it is a firmware update
The Bad news: it appears it is as odorous as the USB Map update process. The service tech said it can take up to 2 hours to download and do the update. Some cars they have done the update to have aborted in the final step and they had to start over.

Stay tuned.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My 2018 Outback was in for 3 hours for “completed” update. System did not work. Retuned Outback for update “reinstall”. System still did not work. Dealer now says DCM must be replaced and there are no updated DCM’s available anywhere in the US..... new units are on back order. No idea of when new DCM’s will become available.

·
Registered
2016 OB LImited with 2.5, Lapis Blue Pearl, option package 23, body side molding, door edge guard
58 Posts
My 2018 Outback was in for 3 hours for “completed” update. System did not work. Retuned Outback for update “reinstall”. System still did not work. Dealer now says DCM must be replaced and there are no updated DCM’s available anywhere in the US..... new units are on back order. No idea of when new DCM’s will become available.
My 2018 "failed" the update and the DCM unit is dead. Have to order new unit. I guess I will have to wait awhile. If this goes on for too long I will go after Subaru for a credit for the time it was out of commission

21 - 40 of 53 Posts