Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Was told for my 2017 it was a firmware upgrade.
The comments my be just boiler plate for the service code.
The Dealer tried the firmware upgrade/update twice. Both times, the update resulted in DCM hardware failure of the communication capabilities (no STARLINK or mobile telephone communications). Replacement DCM hardware is out of stock nationwide and on back order. Meanwhile, my Outback is out of service and remains at the dealer. Loaner car provided, but no idea of when updated DCM’s will become available.

·
Registered
2016 OB LImited with 2.5, Lapis Blue Pearl, option package 23, body side molding, door edge guard
59 Posts
The Dealer tried the firmware upgrade/update twice. Both times, the update resulted in DCM hardware failure of the communication capabilities (no STARLINK or mobile telephone communications). Replacement DCM hardware is out of stock nationwide and on back order. Meanwhile, my Outback is out of service and remains at the dealer. Loaner car provided, but no idea of when updated DCM’s will become available.
Very strange -my Outback needs a new DCM too, but we can still can use the car. Why is your car out of service? I was told by my dealer that the unit should be in a few days. We shall see.

·
Registered
2016 OB LImited with 2.5, Lapis Blue Pearl, option package 23, body side molding, door edge guard
59 Posts
Was told for my 2017 it was a firmware upgrade.
The comments my be just boiler plate for the service code.
It shows a "old" and "new" DCM S/Ns. Sure looks like it was replaced. ALso it shows same failure code that mine did. I'm waiting for a new unit.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Very strange -my Outback needs a new DCM too, but we can still can use the car. Why is your car out of service? I was told by my dealer that the unit should be in a few days. We shall see.
They had already removed the head unit after the 2nd Service visit, and I think they have been told by Subaru that the DCMs will start shipping “soon”. So that’s why they are keeping it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
They had already removed the head unit after the 2nd Service visit, and I think they have been told by Subaru that the DCMs will start shipping “soon”. So that’s why they are keeping it.
Interesting - in my case I'm really not sure If the DCM is still in the car. Neither the red or green light near the "SOS" button are lit. Keep us informed and so will I

·
Registered
2019 Outback Limited
199 Posts
wonder if the DCM replace is 2016 only.
mine is a 2017

Walker did state there are two TSB's for this fix
"
What Gets Fixed?

Depends on what is needed. You will either get a NEW Data Communications Module (DCM) or a software update to the DCM. "

·
Registered
59 Posts
wonder if the DCM replace is 2016 only.
mine is a 2017

Walker did state there are two TSB's for this fix
"
What Gets Fixed?

Depends on what is needed. You will either get a NEW Data Communications Module (DCM) or a software update to the DCM. "
I have a 2016, but they did try to update and it failed. I would think that if the TSB said to replace the DCM in a 2016 the tech wouldn't even tried tried ot update it.

·
Registered
2019 Outback Limited
199 Posts
I have a 2016, but they did try to update and it failed. I would think that if the TSB said to replace the DCM in a 2016 the tech wouldn't even tried tried ot update it.
My dealer mentioned some of the updates timed out and the had to start over on several vehicles
after the update on mine they used the system to contact Starlink to validate the connection and verify the VIN numbers matched after the update

seems results vary
guess I lucked out
build date might have something to do with it

·
Premium Member
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,437 Posts
build date might have something to do with it
Competence of the dealer tech might also have something to do with it. Some techs seem to have a hard time following written instructions, and unvalidated "shortcuts" abound.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Had my 2018 Outback Touring 3.6R updated yesterday for Starlink. Looks like firmware, no issues noted from the dealer. The update seems to have worked, I am able to lock/unlock doors, but I have never used the call feature.

My paperwork had the following information:

3G SUNSET VOLTE SOFTWARE DCM SOFTWARE
UPDATE
LABOR OPERATION # A067-928
LABOR TIME: 1.9
OLD: DCM_05.00.30_20170413
NEW: DCM_06.03.17_20191029/DCM_06.00.17_20190816
PART #:86222AL11A

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
I found a copy of TSB 15-280-21R "Gen1 Telematics Reprogramming for 3G Sunset".

The TSB is a bit long - there are several sections, and you skip to the section depending on what phase of the firmware upgrade you are performing.

Some things I noted:
  • There is a vehicle preparation section - the car must be attached to a charger/power supply, and the battery must stabilize at a 13.5v float charge. Any voltage that goes over 14v causes the flashwrite process to abort (then you need a new DCM I guess).
  • There are two phases to the actual firmware upgrade (two different firmware files). Each phase must be successful. So two chances to ruin the DCM ;)
  • Phase 1 the version is verified, and the correct file is chosen. Choosing the wrong file will result in an unusable DCM.
  • Each phase can take up to 60 minutes. Again, there are two of these.
  • Errors in the flashwrite process will occur at less than 5% complete (so you know sooner rather than later if it worked I guess)
  • In one version of the firmware update, the on screen instructions for the flashwrite2 software indicate the car must be in PARK, but if you do that the CAN will shut down to the DCM and the process will abort (and you'll need a new DCM). The instructions in the TSB say to have the car in NEUTRAL during all of this. The TSB instructions are different than the on screen prompt instructions in the software. That could be confusing (it's only in one section of the first phase update - so it depends on which of the initial files are chosen).
  • Car has to be moved from NUETRAL to PARK when power cycling the ignition after the first file, and then it should be moved back to NEUTRAL to begin the second file.
  • Functionality testing of the STARLINK system is performed before and after the firmwares are written - basically a check that the GREEN LED is lit (no red, nothing flashing) and a call to the STARLINK call center using the iButton, verifying the location and VIN of the vehicle. The guidance in the TSB is to NOT realease a car that fails the final functionality test at the end, even if the flashwrite software part of the procedure was OK.
  • any DTCs are out of scope for the free upgrade, so if there are errors or starlink isn't working properly, those need to be remediated before anything can be upgraded (either warranty pays for it, or if your warranty is expired, you pay for that).
So, reading the instructions carefully and doing the shifter hokey pokey look like they're critical to successfully applying the two different firmware.

I attached the TSB to the first post, and also attached WRZ-61R since this TSB references it - that only applies to 2016 models - that one was originally released March 15, 2016 so it is not something new or particularly exciting, you just don't have to go far if you read the reference.

You'll likely have to read it a few times to figure out the failure points, things to look for, what to do, what NOT to do (jump here, go there, see this section, here is something new in THIS phase 1 section that's not in the OTHER phase 1 section), and so on. Read it if you want to be confused and possibly annoyed for a short while.

·
Registered
59 Posts

The TSB is a bit long - there are several sections, and you skip to the section depending on what phase of the firmware upgrade you are performing.

Some things I noted:
  • There is a vehicle preparation section - the car must be attached to a charger/power supply, and the battery must stabilize at a 13.5v float charge. Any voltage that goes over 14v causes the flashwrite process to abort (then you need a new DCM I guess).
  • There are two phases to the actual firmware upgrade (two different firmware files). Each phase must be successful. So two chances to ruin the DCM ;)
  • Phase 1 the version is verified, and the correct file is chosen. Choosing the wrong file will result in an unusable DCM.
  • Errors in the flashwrite process will occur at less than 5% complete (so you know sooner rather than later if it worked I guess)
  • In one version of the firmware update, the on screen instructions for the flashwrite2 software indicate the car must be in PARK, but if you do that the CAN will shut down to the DCM and the process will abort (and you'll need a new DCM). The instructions in the TSB say to have the car in NEUTRAL during all of this. The TSB instructions are different than the on screen prompt instructions in the software. That could be confusing (it's only in one section of the first phase update - so it depends on which of the initial files are chosen).
  • Car has to be moved from NUETRAL to PARK when power cycling the ignition after the first file, and then it should be moved back to NEUTRAL to begin the second file.
  • Functionality testing of the STARLINK system is performed before and after the firmwares are written - basically a check that the GREEN LED is lit (no red, nothing flashing) and a call to the STARLINK call center using the iButton, verifying the location and VIN of the vehicle. The guidance in the TSB is to NOT realease a car that fails the final functionality test at the end, even if the flashwrite software part of the procedure was OK.
  • any DTCs are out of scope for the free upgrade, so if there are errors or starlink isn't working properly, those need to be remediated before anything can be upgraded (either warranty pays for it, or if your warranty is expired, you pay for that).
So, reading the instructions carefully and doing the shifter hokey pokey look like they're critical to successfully applying the two different firmware.

I attached the TSB to the first post, and also attached WRZ-61R since this TSB references it - that only applies to 2016 models - that one was originally released March 15, 2016 so it is not something new or particularly exciting, you just don't have to go far if you read the reference.

You'll likely have to read it a few times to figure out the failure points, things to look for, what to do, what NOT to do (jump here, go there, see this section, here is something new in THIS phase 1 section that's not in the OTHER phase 1 section), and so on. Read it if you want to be confused and possibly annoyed for a short while.
After reading theTSB there will be many cars., like mine, that will need a new DCM, since there are so many places for failures to occur and that it's so confusing.

·
Registered
2019 Outback Limited
199 Posts

Some things I noted:

Nothing like making it easy for a generation of techs with a 5 minute attention span 😀

41 - 56 of 56 Posts