Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Carbide Grey 3.6R
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone noticed your H6 transmission stuttering when accelerating? This typically happens in low speed, low-to-mid RPMs, in first "gear", coming from a dead stop. It's kind of a jerky feeling. It's weird. It doesn't happen all of the time. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason for it. It just happens once in a while at random.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2016 Carbide Grey 3.6R
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes, but it doesn't feel like the cvt to me, more like the electronic throttle control. similar to what my audi did.
Interesting. Have you found a solution or have you decided to just live with it?

·
Registered
2016 Outback 3.6R EyeSight, 20mm RSB, STB, 2" ECOhitch
627 Posts
Interesting. Have you found a solution or have you decided to just live with it?
30k miles and haven't been back to a dealer yet. I have only noticed it 3 or 4 times in all these miles, but I haven't tried to duplicate the conditions yet. Twice I have had it fail to accelerate while starting out in a turn, let up on the pedal and push down again and it works fine, my audi did the exact same thing only more frequently. I plan on a dealer visit soon to take care of the recalls and check out the ac recirc function, which doesn't seem to be working properly, I'll add this to the list.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Mine (2015) does it often. They say it's an unavoidable CVT torque converter thing. I'm afraid it is one of those things you'll never fix. Just some design flaw that shows up on some cars but not all.
Recently I drove a Volvo sport wagon for hundreds of miles which is technically very similar to the OB. What a pleasure their transmission is compared to the CVT. And while I'm talking about comparison, the Volvo's steering and ability to track well is MUCH better than Subaru's. Electric assist steering sucks.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Brought mine in for service and they said they updated the software for the CVT seems to happen less now, but still noticible

·
Registered
2016 Outback 3.6R LBP "Dingo"
642 Posts
From my understanding, it's a torque converter on the CVR and it's a very common issue with CVTs. I don't notice it as much with my Subie as I do with my (older) Mitsu.

·
Registered
2016 Outback, Premium 2.5i, EyeSight
6 Posts
This isn't just a 3.6R problem. I have the 2.5i, CVT and I frequently experience a hesitation in acceleration, mostly between 20-40 MPH, but only under light throttle pressure. Acceleration is always smooth when using a heavier foot on the peddle. I have also read reviews of the Outback from Edmonds.com and another car magazine (can't remember which) that found the same issue.

In the 55 years that I've been driving, this is the first vehicle of any kind that I've driven that had this sort of problem. (So much for advanced technology.)

·
Registered
2018 Subaru Outback 3.6 Touring Dark Blue Pearl
8 Posts
I have a 2018 Outback 3.6 with 1400 miles and it has a bad case of acceleration stutter. Happens on deceleration too. At its worst, it is a lurching sensation.

I spoke to the dealer GM and Service Manager. Their suggestion is to give it 2k as the transmission may adapt to my driving style. I am highly skeptical of this advice but am going along with it for now.

Has anyone else has acceleration stutter and either had it fixed by Subaru or had it go away?

·
Registered
855 Posts
Mine never accelerates right. Seems to bounce around and larch up to 20+ mph. Embarrassing if I have someone in the car. Sealer said it has to do with the torque converter and is normal. I personally think the CVT is just not well refined. I'd take a 4-5 speed automatic over this trans any day.

·
Registered
2017 3.6R Limited with Eye Sight
651 Posts
The torque converter shudder is one of the most annoying things about the car.

It really negatively affects the 'driving experience'. I'm not feeling the love.

·
Registered
184 Posts
My 18’ 3.6 does same thing. From a dead stop, when accelerating. It accels normal for a split second, then hesitates, then surges with extra power. It’s going in 2mrw for a brake issue. So I’m going to let them know about the accel issue.

·
Registered
855 Posts
The torque converter shudder is one of the most annoying things about the car.

It really negatively affects the 'driving experience'. I'm not feeling the love.

Exactly.....It's hard to warm up to a car that goes out of it's way to be annoying every time you roll form a stop.

In fact, I've just downgraded the Outback from daily driver to utility / winter vehicle. I bought a 3 yr old BMW 335xi that is very practical as a daily driver and handles like a true sports car. It's about the driving experience and fun of driving. The 8 speed automatic is a true joy.

Reactions: CdnScooby

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Limited w/ES
3,172 Posts
LOL, I noticed this on the test drive in my first Subaru 12 years ago. I considered it acceptabel for something that gripped the road like nothing I had ever experienced - got used to it. I have been asked about it once, by a passenger who is extremely OCD about their vehicles.

·
Registered
2018 3.6R Limited
549 Posts
The only reason this is noticeable is because you don't feel other gears shift... on auto transmission you get quickly used to all kind of shifting.
It is like living on a quest street and being annoyed by a single car passing by vs living next to interstate and hearing all the cars.

IMO I'd rather have this and some CVT drone rather than auto transmission that's always out of power and in a wrong gear.

·
Registered
855 Posts
So, we should just accept a poorly designed defective transmission because "it's a Subaru"???

·
Registered
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,110 Posts
... a poorly designed defective transmission ...
Not smooth enough for some owners? Apparently. "Poorly designed?" Hardly. "Defective?" Only a small number of failures are apparent, and most of those involve the lockup clutch in the torque converter, not the CVT itself. YMMV.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Not smooth enough for some owners? Apparently. "Poorly designed?" Hardly. "Defective?" Only a small number of failures are apparent, and most of those involve the lockup clutch in the torque converter, not the CVT itself. YMMV.

Ask yourself.... Is there some reason I should accept this disturbing flaw after paying over $35K for a new vehicle? Oh, because Subaru said it's OK? Is there some good reason that the same problem is there year after year while they can design and build entirely new models to sell?

The problem does vary, apparently from vehicle to vehicle. It should be a recall issue.

·
Registered
'18 OB 2.5 Ltd, No Eyesight, No Nav
2,823 Posts
When I test drove a 3.6, I noticed a stutter, but I figured I was imagining things.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts