Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

I own a 2016 OB 3.6R, has 81,200 miles on itI take care of it.
For the last month I’ve noticed a weird clunking/popping sound coming from the front when I turn in any direction and accelerate.
had my mechanic take a look and we determined it is LIKELY the axle. Weird, huh, or have any of you subie bros/gals experienced this?

frankly, I’m disappointed. I bought this subie in hopes of having a good and reliable-vehicle for the next 120+k miles.

Anyway, my question.... Is this covered under the extended warranty or does that warranty only apply to the CVT?

second issue, it appears there is a slow leak in the front differential. Is this also common and covered under the CVT warranty...?

finally, stupid and annoying wiper fluid dispenser motor appears to be failing. The reservoir is full but when I use it spurts like an shitty sprinkler. You experience this?

do I have a factory lemon?

thanks in advance for you replies.

forgive my typos...

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Limited w/ES
2,845 Posts
Not really that weird. While it's a bit early, axles can go bad at any time, I had one start knocking in tight turns around 70k miles. Reliable? Well, my understanding is you can continue driving on that axle for quite a long time if you can tolerate the noise. Anyway, an axle would be covered under Subaru's extended warranty, if you purchased one, but that has nothing to do with the CVT. There's a separate extension for that out to 100k which will cover any leaks. Weeping of CVT fluid is somewhat common on the 3.6's HT-CVT. As for the wiper, the fronts should spray just fine, it's the rear that dribbles.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
3,708 Posts
At 81K miles and 4 years it would be quite a stretch for any of those problems to make me categorize the car as a "factory lemon" at this point. Disappointing maybe, but nothing there that I would feel completely blindside by for a car at that age and miles.

·
Registered
2015 3.6 Outback (green)
190 Posts
I think you should be covered under powertrain warranty and won't require the extended warranty, but I'm not an expert.

Our 2015 needed two new front axles (same symptoms as yours) and it was covered. While there, they the also found a leak near the transmission and that was replaced.

This happened at 65k miles.

We've had a number of problems with our car (see my other posts here) but all were handled reasonably well by Subaru and the local dealerships.

My opinion is that we don't have lemons but we are seeing the limits of a value-engineered car where Subaru might have gone a little too far to pack functions/features into a car at this price point. I also recall there being a shortage due to popularity when the gen 5 first came out. I know ours was pretty slapped together with poor panel fitment and other assembly issues.

Not sure I'd buy another one, but I'm not embittered over it either. I like the car and it has served our family well despite frequent trips to the shop.

My preference is for higher quality and fewer features.

Jason

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
I think you should be covered under powertrain warranty and won't require the extended warranty, but I'm not an expert.

Our 2015 needed two new front axles (same symptoms as yours) and it was covered. While there, they the also found a leak near the transmission and that was replaced.

This happened at 65k miles.
Unless it was different for 2015 the powertrain warranty is 5 years/60K miles so if they covered your axles at 65K it was likely a good-will exception unless the problem started while still under warranty. For this case with the car at 81K+ it would be less likely to be covered. Might be worth a try though.

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Limited w/ES
2,845 Posts
I asked my dealer and was told, "that'll be $750". I looked at it as a, "hey, that's why you buy the extended warranty" moment. Then I just had my indy shop do it for $400 - I'm at 92k now, and the other front axle is still going strong, so it's extremely unlikely I'd ever have made my money back on an extended warranty. That's why I never buy them.

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
I asked my dealer and was told, "that'll be $750". I looked at it as a, "hey, that's why you buy the extended warranty" moment. Then I just had my indy shop do it for $400 - I'm at 92k now, and the other front axle is still going strong, so it's extremely unlikely I'd ever have made my money back on an extended warranty. That's why I never buy them.
The extended warranty is never about making your money back. Who would ever want problems just to make the warranty a good deal? The extended warranty is about peace of mind. I've said multiple times that I hope that the money I paid for my extended warranty turns out to be 100% profit for Subaru.

·
Registered
2015 3.6 Outback (green)
190 Posts
Unless it was different for 2015 the powertrain warranty is 5 years/60K miles so if they covered your axles at 65K it was likely a good-will exception unless the problem started while still under warranty. For this case with the car at 81K+ it would be less likely to be covered. Might be worth a try though.
I thought the powertrain warranty was extended to 100K miles a few years back based on transmission issues but maybe I remember incorrectly. I did buy the 7yr/100k extended warranty because I knew I'd be having troubles based on issues in the first three years. Maybe that is what covered my axle repair.

Car has just had the entire rear lift gate assembly replaced under warranty. Haven't seen the paperwork yet, but I'd bet that was costly repair after buying the oem part (around $1900) and paying the body shop to replace and paint.

If I hadn't bought the warranty, I'd be in a real spot.

Jason

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Limited w/ES
2,845 Posts
The extended warranty is never about making your money back...
I'm well aware of the risk involved. But I can tolerate risk knowing that the odds are in my favor. I've never regretted declining an extended warranty. If that days ever comes, I'll still come out on top.

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
I'm well aware of the risk involved. But I can tolerate risk knowing that the odds are in my favor. I've never regretted declining an extended warranty. If that days ever comes, I'll still come out on top.
And that's why it is about peace of mind and not getting more in repairs than the cost of the warranty. If you are comfortable without the peace of mind the warranty can provide then it isn't worth buying. If that peace of mind has a value at least equal to its cost to you then it is.

Definitely a case where there isn't a right or wrong choice.

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Limited w/ES
2,845 Posts
...Definitely a case where there isn't a right or wrong choice.
Hence why I simply offered my stance on the subject - and why your responses are really unnecessary. I haven't told anyone what to do.

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
Hence why I simply offered my stance on the subject - and why your responses are really unnecessary. I haven't told anyone what to do.
Ah, I thought discussion and differing points of view were welcome here. Silly me. I never told you what to do either. I will try not to respond to your posts in the future. Sorry to have upset you.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks to all that replied. I’ve got to do some digging in my collection of documents. I recall Subaru sending out a letter to me indicating they were extending the warranty to 100k. I can’t remember off hand if that was related to CVT only or power train. I’ll post once I find out.
I’ve owned a few vehicles and I have to say, this is the first time I’ve come across this, an axle problem this early. Matter of opinion I guess.

Also, how stupid is it that the motor is starting to fail for my windshield fluid cleaner? Ugh. It’s this little **** that bugs the **** out of me. I’ve got all these bells n whistles but they take a nap on the assembly line for this smaller stuff. Frustrating.

anyway, thanks for the responses. I’ll do some digging and post an update. Really dig this forum, I find lots of useful information here.
Be well All!
Iván

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Limited w/ES
2,845 Posts
Ah, I thought discussion and differing points of view were welcome here. Silly me. I never told you what to do either. I will try not to respond to your posts in the future. Sorry to have upset you.
It's all good, I simply don't see the need to rehash this old debate here (which is covered in tons of other threads already), just because I injected a little obvious opinion into one of my posts. Just a tangential comment which doesn't merit further discussion.

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Limited w/ES
2,845 Posts
Thanks to all that replied. I’ve got to do some digging in my collection of documents. I recall Subaru sending out a letter to me indicating they were extending the warranty to 100k. I can’t remember off hand if that was related to CVT only or power train. I’ll post once I find out.
I’ve owned a few vehicles and I have to say, this is the first time I’ve come across this, an axle problem this early. Matter of opinion I guess...
There's no need to dig through documents. This is all well known here - there's been no comprehensive powertrain warranty extension for any Gen 5. You're thinking of the 10 year/100k mile warranty extension for the CVT (just the transmission, but that includes the front differential because it's part of the assembly). Subaru decided to extend this warranty to help alleviate reliability concerns.

As for the axle - it's purely bad luck - they can go well over 100k miles, or fail at 10k (just search this forum). You don't say what other vehicles you've owned, but my understanding is that lifted vehicles tend to be harder on axles, so this potential problem may just be new to you. BTW, in case you're unaware, most folks recommend sticking with Subaru axles instead of aftermarket (you might even consider a junkyard axle if cost is a concern).

And your washer fluid issue does not appear to be common for Gen 5s. I'm no expert, just curious, but how did you diagnose it with a bad pump? Could it simply be clogged somewhere? Are you the original owner of this vehicle, or does it have some unknown maintenance history?

·
Registered
910 Posts
I’ve owned a few vehicles and I have to say, this is the first time I’ve come across this, an axle problem this early. Matter of opinion I guess.

Also, how stupid is it that the motor is starting to fail for my windshield fluid cleaner? Ugh. It’s this little ** that bugs the ** out of me. I’ve got all these bells n whistles but they take a nap on the assembly line for this smaller stuff. Frustrating.

anyway, thanks for the responses. I’ll do some digging and post an update. Really dig this forum, I find lots of useful information here.
Be well All!
Iván
It was specific to the CVT, not the power train in total. However, contacting SOA mightcover some or all of it..... the tone and tenor of the letter will make all the difference..... praise the likes and value of the vehicle and don’t complain about all the “things” wrong with it..... open with your needing help especially so close to the 60k mile warranty cutoff.

good luck. Nhcycle

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
It's all good, I simply don't see the need to rehash this old debate here (which is covered in tons of other threads already), just because I injected a little obvious opinion into one of my posts. Just a tangential comment which doesn't merit further discussion.
2.5i 🤭

1 - 20 of 29 Posts