Subaru Outback Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
" You're thinking of the 10 year/100k mile warranty extension for the CVT (just the transmission, but that includes the front differential because it's part of the assembly). Subaru decided to extend this warranty to help alleviate reliability concerns. " Thanks. I just discovered that and will have dealership take a look. Adviser said he's not sure how/if they'll cover a slow leak - as the area is not in full drip mode - I can see some moisture around the area a gasket would be. I'll have them take a look to get that repair under way.

"You don't say what other vehicles you've owned, but my understanding is that lifted vehicles tend to be harder on axles, so this potential problem may just be new to you. BTW, in case you're unaware, most folks recommend sticking with Subaru axles instead of aftermarket (you might even consider a junkyard axle if cost is a concern)." Prior cars include Mazda3 year 2000 sold at around 130K bought brand new and I drove that thing hard, Toyota Corolla purchased brand new - the struts went out close to 110K but no axle issues on any of these vehicles - not to mention the plethora of used cars I went thru as a teenager. I spoke to Subaru dealership and they said that the axle would likely be a a remanufactured part. Honestly, I don't care if it is, as long as it lasts. Also, they said if I call Subaru directly they may be able to cover the repair since I'm pretty close to the 60K cut off for warranty. I'll give it a go.

"And your washer fluid issue does not appear to be common for Gen 5s. I'm no expert, just curious, but how did you diagnose it with a bad pump? Could it simply be clogged somewhere? Are you the original owner of this vehicle, or does it have some unknown maintenance history?" The good ol'eye balling it diagnosis, ha... Its the front dispensers. The one in front of the driver when I initiate the fluid it comes out fine then it starts to spit like it's struggling meanwhile the right side (passenger side) flows just fine. I tried cleaning the little plastic part the fluid comes out of and no luck. I purchased the Subie brand new with 6 miles on it. I wonder if a tube got dislodged or cracked somewhere, too... hmmm...

Thanks again for the reply.

·
Registered
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
6,783 Posts
Its the front dispensers. The one in front of the driver when I initiate the fluid it comes out fine then it starts to spit like it's struggling meanwhile the right side (passenger side) flows just fine. [Emphasis added]
Then we already know that the pump isn't the problem. Look for a crimped or cracked hose, or an obstruction in the hose and fittings supplying the driver's side nozzle. Be careful with the plastic fittings and nozzles, which are susceptible to damage.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Hey All, another update, kinda.....

CVT chain cover is seeping, again. This is what the dealership mechanic suspects is getting on the front differential box. This cover/gasket was replaced approx 10k miles ago as a recall. Ugh, I hope this time they’re able to fix it for good. For now, getting that fixed and will check the front differential in a few hundred miles to see if there is still moisture.

Axle issue.... they’re gonna keep my car to keep trying to diagnose it & work with Subaru of America for which I started a claim. The dealership is pretty confident that if they can confirm it’s an axle issue it will be covered as an exception. For anyone reading this that doesn’t have the full story, my car is at 81k and the warranty is technically over at 3 years or 60k miles which ever comes first. I’m kinda close to the 60k soi figured I’d see if SoA would cover. I treat the car well, so we’ll see.

window washer dispenser: they’ll check that out too while the car is there. Weird issue.

Anyone here do this on their own?
“Intake, throttle body, fuel injection service combo: Recommended every 45k miles. No history of service”
is this the same as getting some fuel cleaner and pouring in the gas tank? Just curious.
Take care.

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Limited w/ES
2,845 Posts
I'm not sure I can see how 81k is anywhere near "close to the 60k", but, good luck! If you've already had the CVT repaired (don't think you mentioned that before), then I suppose maybe it's possible they damaged an axle in the process. According to a couple reports here, recurring leaks have been cause for complete replacement of the CVT (with a remanufactured unit).

A bottle of techron can handle injectors, and there's a DIY around here somewhere on throttle body cleaning if you're so inclined, but none of that is recommended maintenance according to Subaru.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I'm not sure I can see how 81k is anywhere near "close to the 60k", but, good luck! If you've already had the CVT repaired (don't think you mentioned that before), then I suppose maybe it's possible they damaged an axle in the process. According to a couple reports here, recurring leaks have been cause for complete replacement of the CVT (with a remanufactured unit).

A bottle of techron can handle injectors, and there's a DIY around here somewhere on throttle body cleaning if you're so inclined, but none of that is recommended maintenance according to Subaru.
Ha.. I know it's a stretch, but the squeaky wheel gets the grease. I have no expectation, just asking if SOA will cover it. When speaking to the dealer's mechanic he said "I don't see why not".... I know i've already said this, but it is odd to me that an axle needs repairing this early on. Others have said it's pure luck of the draw. I'm just perplexed because I don't drive crazy and for the most part, my Subie is a concrete princess - no lifted and going on off-expeditions...

On the plus side, I'm driving a 2020 Forester Loaner. Pretty nice bells n whistles inside. I absolutely love the Apple Play function. So much easier than my 2016 interface. I will say though, the Outback feels so much better driving, much more comfortable.

Take Care All,
Ivan

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Update...
Subaru of America agreed to cover part of the cost for replacing both my front axles. Like I said, I didn’t expect anything but I asked. This works out to be 750.00 SOA is paying for.

also, the dealership discovered “a problem with my transmission” and replaced the whole thing. This was covered under the 10 yr/100k warranty and no cost to me.

moral of the story, some axles are bad off the assembly line and fail sooner than expected, if you reach out to SoA and work with your dealership, this may get covered fully or partially. Be polite, always. I was never a “let me speak to the manager” type and was polite with everyone I encountered.

Finally, thanks to this forum for helping me get thru this. I appreciate everyone’s insight, it helped me navigate the issues.

take care

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Then we already know that the pump isn't the problem. Look for a crimped or cracked hose, or an obstruction in the hose and fittings supplying the driver's side nozzle. Be careful with the plastic fittings and nozzles, which are susceptible to damage.
Mechanic discovered a rodent must've chewed at the tube! Spliced and replace, all good now. Thanks!

21 - 29 of 29 Posts