Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning all! New to Subaru and super thankful for all of the info this board has provided! You have helped me with so much already it has been amazing!

My 2016 3.6 OB just hit 90K and the struts are pretty tired. Going to refresh the suspension. For those of you familiar, is there any part of the front strut tops that is rubber constructed to isolate vibration? In viewing the parts list it seems the spring isolator is metal. Planning to replace top hats with new, but wasn't sure if there were other components that were not going to be reusable from original.

Thanks for any input you may have - much appreciated!

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,752 Posts
spin the mounts on your little finger and see if they feel rough/crunchy. The bearings in there can be bad at an early age sometimes.

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,752 Posts
yeah, top mounts could lead to more NVH (noise vibration harshness) I guess if you switched to Group N or some kind of hard-durometer or poly construction I guess....?

If you are chasing NVH of some kind, consider a new thread with more details. There are multiple ways vibration could be felt and someone here will probably be able to guide you.

If you are doing the strut swap yourself, be careful with spring compressers and make sure the 'spacer' between top perch and mount (looks like a domed washer) is put back on the right way.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts