Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Outback 2.5i Limited
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our 2016 Outback needs a new rear wheel bearing at 65K. At 78 years old, I'v owned a lot of vehicles and i never had a wheel bearing failure on anything at this low mileage. In fact I only had one wheel bearing failure and it was on an old Chevy pick up. While The car is less than 5 years old the power train is only warranted for 60K miles so I am out of luck for a warranty repair.
Come to find out wheel bearing failures are pretty common on Outbacks going back many years. I guess I'll have to expect the other three to fail soon. What's the experience of forum members on this issue?

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,222 Posts
contact SOA and meet a Regional Rep. at your dealership. No guarantees but, Subaru has a history of stepping up on pricey repairs 'near' but past warranty. Or they may discount the work.

Read several times of it happening.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My 2017 Outback has 85,000 miles on it. I had replaced the left front, and the two rear hubs myself, because i preferred to do the job, rather than letting the dealership mechanics work on my car. Last night the front left genuine replacement hub failed too. When I saw that the Subaru price for the Front Hub is a mere $258 now, I really got upset, and today I took all the old failed hubs to my local dealership. I showed the 4 hubs to the service manager and asked him, how it was possible that Subaru was letting NTN, the hub manufacturer, destroy the brand reputation. He was very attentive and did not deny that Subaru has a chronic wheel bearing hub problem, and described them as crappy. He asked me to bring the car in, promising to good-will replace all the defective hubs. He said that under 100,000 miles, he has no problem doing so. When I came home to put the car together to bring it to him, I decided against it, because they will use the same Subaru NTN crap hubs, even if they use the superseded part numbers. I decided to purchase the Timken HA590150 front hub from Amazon for $100 (vs $258). I also wrote a rather strong note to NTN USA and NTN Global. It is unconceivable that in 2021, wheel bearing hubs are an issue, when my 1994 Maxima, 1998 Volvo, 2003 Outback never required a wheel bearing replacement. Shame on Subaru and NTN

1 - 3 of 3 Posts