Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Outback 3.6r Limited
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've received a few questions about my C-light install, and figured its time to actually post a new thread since I haven't been able to find an install anywhere for the Outback or the legacy.

The C light I used was the Diode Dynamics Switchback with Amber, for the turn signal. The install was pretty straight forward and went along with most of the WRX install, granted the bumper removal was a little bit different along with the wiring. I was able to go on eBay and purchase 2 HID headlights that were in excellent condition with all the wiring harness's for 275 total. Getting the bumper off is by far the easiest part of the job. Everything is held together with clips, it comes of and on in about 10 minutes. Next for the wiring of the c - light, I was able to use all of the existing wires on the headlight harness to tap into for the; parking running lights, ground, and blinker. I used the old C-light wires for the parking and constant ground. For the DRL, I used a "wire tap" not a spice to the vehicles existing connecter under neath the driver headlight. I replaced the current incandescent blinkers with LED's and added the resistor there, so they would both flash at the same time without hyperflash. The only two things that have to be "tapped" into are the two DRL wires. Other then that there is not a single "splice" anywhere on the vehicle.

Questions:
Does the Outback use the same glue for the lenses as the WRX? No, it uses this thick black glue that is absolutely BRUTAL to get apart and clean up.

Questions on the wiring, answered above.

How bright do I feel they are? I feel that they were bright enough that I was able to unplug the current incandescent DRL's. In the video below you can see the C-light and then the HID headlights running, and they don't look much brighter. I think you will have to be the deciding factor on that, but I'm rolling with it.

Anything to be careful of? Yes! the blinker inside the lenses is VERY easy to break, I broke one of mine getting it apart. Its not a big deal it still functions and will look great as is. I've read about some people JB Welding/Supergluing it back.

Pictures and videos from the install

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-Zuv--F0uLONG5zc1BRSklWRXc

·
Registered
2017 3.6r white
43 Posts
@runner9595 Could you explain how the blinker was easy to break and how to avoid it? Also how did you end up opening the headlights and resealing them? (did you have to cook them or just pry??) I was looking at installing this and stumbled on your video, its a bummer I thought our headlights would be easy to take apart like the wrx/sti.

Do you also mind making a walk through the drl tapping for those of us who have very little knowledge in the area.

It would be much appreciated if you could

·
Registered
2016 Outback 3.6r Limited
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
@runner9595 Could you explain how the blinker was easy to break and how to avoid it? Also how did you end up opening the headlights and resealing them? (did you have to cook them or just pry??) I was looking at installing this and stumbled on your video, its a bummer I thought our headlights would be easy to take apart like the wrx/sti.

Do you also mind making a walk through the drl tapping for those of us who have very little knowledge in the area.

It would be much appreciated if you could
So to tap the DRL, the kit from Diodedynamics actually came with the pieces to do so. Basically all you need is a light tester, put it on your negative battery terminal, then touch the 2 wires located right below the drivers headlight assembly, and see which one is off when you turn the blinker from side to side, that way you know which wire goes to what side (since the DRL turns off when the blinker on that side is on), then you tap it with the plastic piece provided, basically just put it over the wire and clamp it. And run another piece of wire over to that headlight. that is the ONLY wire that needs to be ran. Everything else can be connected to wires on the existing headlight.

You might have to email the seller... this is the guy I got mine from, but they were HIDs not halogens.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NICE-COMPLETE-SET-PAIR-OF-BLACK-HALOGEN-OUTBACK-LEGACY-15-16-HEADLIGHT-50936Q/253147950567?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Opening the headlights is a complete pain! Thats why I suggest you buy a set off eBay. the set I got was in perfect condition for $250. Yes you HAVE to put in the oven multiple times to get the glue hot enough to keep working the lens apart from the back piece. I highly recommend also using a heat gun along with the oven. I split the black plastic piece twice, not a big deal, it you can't see it once you install it. Just use some glue to seal it back up. You can go to an auto parts store to find some that doesn't completely harden, but stays soft like silicone.

In order to avoid breaking the blinker... take your time! Once the lens is separated, don't force it completely apart. It takes some maneuvering and twisting to get it apart.

Good luck! Let me know if you need anything else

1 - 4 of 4 Posts