Subaru Outback Forums banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Adding myself to the affected list

Got dealership to replace stereo in my ‘16 outback a couple weeks ago due to the capacitive lines and the replacement was obviously not new but screen is better. Called Sirius to activate new radio ID and I’m only getting channels 2-16, 70, then 300 something.
Repeated calls to Sirius and dealership have them blaming each other.

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT, Cinnamon Brown Pearl
151 Posts
Add me to the list. I usually use my presets, but yesterday I was looking for something else and the entire menuing system was missing in action.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just found this post. I have a 2015 and 2016 Outback and they both have this same issue. Can't determine when the issue developed but both have it. Yesterday took the 2016 to the dealership and explained the problem. The Tech performed an update on the Starlink radio. Current version of software was NU9306. New version NU9312 installed. NU9312 was the result of Technical Service Bulletin 15-205-16. I issued a SiriusXM Radio Update and I wish I could report a fix, but still have the problem on the 2016. I'm following to see the final outcome.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 3.6R
2 Posts
A number of weeks ago I contacted Subaru about this same issue with My 2017 OB. They claimed at that point that it was a known issue and that it was an issue with Sirius. I asked for an update from Sirius earlier this week and they told me that Subaru plans to have a software fix available by mid December. Apparently Subaru (at least my dealership)has been trying to deflect this issue to Sirius to buy some time. I plan on taking the email to my dealer to see what they have to say.

·
Registered
1 Posts
add me to the list.. my 2015 OB had the list just disappear. Kept my saved, at least. At least this forum saved me the time to call Sirius.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5i Limited
18 Posts
I too have had this same issue!!! ‘16 outback, called Sirusxm 3 times now just to have them refresh the signal but not fixing anything! They said it’s electronic head unit issue, but you going in verifies that this could be something else..? I’m almost wondering if this happened when I updated my maps a month ago!?! It is super annoying/frustrating ! If you find out anything please update me!

Hi my 2017 is also having this issue, no map update involved however I did change my battery. I didn’t notice this issue until 10 months later.
I had xm refresh my radio list was there until I turned off my car. Presets were not effected.
I had the car serviced today at my dealer they stated that there was an update for the radio which they downloaded.
Of course they said normally there is a charge but waived it for me. As if there should be a charge. I’ll refresh my radio tomorrow and let you know if the radio retains the info.

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT, Cinnamon Brown Pearl
151 Posts
Here's an update to my story:

When the issue first manifested itself, I thought it was a SiriusXM problem. I called SiriusXM (got CS in the Philippines - very difficult to decipher) and got transferred a bit, and finally reached the advanced Technical Support team. They told me that they were very aware of the Subaru problem and had a fix: Go ask Subaru to install a software update per TSB-15-205-16R. Sounded reasonable to me.

So I took the car to a local dealer and they updated the software from NU9305 to NU9312. Then I got home and could not activate SXM. There was no longer a visible ESN number on Channel 0 and I couldn't even get the preview channel. As an added bonus, my Android phone would no longer pair with the radio.

So I took the car back to the dealer and told them what happened. They sent a guy out to show me how to work my car LOL. He figured out that the radio was hosed and they took it back into the shop. After 2 more hours of waiting, they said it was fixed and that they had "discharged the capacitors" and that everything was working OK. They also told me to activate SXM by VIN rather than ESN. So rather than going home, I called SXM from the dealer. SXM said they could look up the ESN by VIN, but with the radio no longer having an ESN identity, they could not activate the radio. Also, I still couldn't pair my phone.

So I went back in and got more assertive. Had one more trip out to the car to show me how to work it. Finally, they succumbed and ordered a new head unit.

When the new head unit came and was installed, my phone could pair again, and SXM worked again (except for the channel listings). Amazing! And I am back to square one.The new head unit had NU9312 software. No one needed to come out and show me how to work the radio this time.

Anyway, if you can believe SXM, FWIW they told me that the problem will be fixed in a December software release. So all this was done on warranty, which will run out before December.

In the unlikely event that there is a timely fix, it should be entirely at Subaru's and/or SXM's expense. This is the stuff that drives class action suits.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just took my 2017 outback to the dealership to see if the latest software update would resolve the XM radio glitch. They flashed the update 9509 and that did not solve the problem. Does anyone know if Subaru released the fix and that 9509 is not the update that resolves it?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Having the same issue. Subaru updated the head unit software last week 12/20/18 and the issue with Sirius XM is still there. My head unit also freezes periodically when scrolling through the Sirius XM preset stations. I have a 2016 Outback. I think this is a Sirius XM programming issue.

·
Registered
2015 Premium 2.5
4 Posts
FWIW: Just went to the dealership for regular service and asked about firmware updates relating to this issue, had a younger/newer and I assume more tech savvy service advisor, stated that I knew this is a known issue, that I follow Subaru forums and that I work in I.T. to try to ward off any run around. Anyway, she stated that March would be the next update and "thought" that the fix would be then. I hoping that is true.

·
Registered
2016 Outback 3.6R
2 Posts
Subaru has come out with a software update for this. Just tell your dealer that your radio has the incomplete Sirius XM channel list display and they'll apply the software update. I had mine updated yesterday and the channel list is displaying properly again.

·
Registered
2015 Premium 2.5
4 Posts
Subaru has come out with a software update for this. Just tell your dealer that your radio has the incomplete Sirius XM channel list display and they'll apply the software update. I had mine updated yesterday and the channel list is displaying properly again.

Could you please tell us what the firmware version so we can ask for it? Thanks

·
Registered
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
6,419 Posts
Could you please tell us what the firmware version so we can ask for it?
Careful! It's not just one version for all Outbbacks. The firmware files and version IDs are different for different model years and NAV vs. no-NAV. Attempting to install the wrong file can brick your head unit.

·
Registered
2016 Outback 2.5i Limited Ice Silver Metallic
58 Posts
Had my 2016 2.5i Limited radio/navigation system updated today to Version NU9313. It fixed the SXM station list problem to now list all stations. The service manager would not tell me the TSB #, just said it contain numerous updates and the TSB just came out about a week ago. According to the Subaru Tech Info site the most current TSB for infotainment issues created on Dec 28, 2018 is TSB 15-205-16R, Reprogramming File Availability to Address Operational Concerns with GEN2 Fujitsu TEN (F10) Navigation and 7inch Display Audio Units.

·
Registered
2001 Legacy L Sedan, 2009 Impreza Sedan, 2013 Crosstrek, 2016 WRX
134 Posts
Has anyone found a link to the updated TSB?

Did the dealers charge to flash this?

·
Registered
Outback Limited 2020 Red (former 2015)
46 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Legacy L Sedan, 2009 Impreza Sedan, 2013 Crosstrek, 2016 WRX
134 Posts
This forum limits PDF attachments to 1MB but I was able to find the latest revision of 15-205-16R dated January 30th 2019 and attach the first two pages outlining the fixes as well as the software versions here.

I tried having the dealer flash it but they seemed completely incompetent. First telling my they couldn't find a TSB for my car, then when I shared the specific number they said they found it but when I checked they had downloaded an old version from August 2018 that didn't fix my SiriusXM issue and sent me on my way. Thinking that returning to them would be another circus I started digging online and found the documents / updates!

You all can access this too from the Subaru Technical Information System website which looks like it's run by SOA:

https://techinfo.subaru.com/stis/#/

For $35 they allow users 3-day access to all of their technical documents! This includes TSB's, Head Unit Updates, even the dealer Service Repair Manual! I registered and spent the weekend downloading as many PDF's & Updates as I could for my Subaru. In the TSB is a link to the download page for the software updates.

I'm pretty good with computers so feeling I could probably do a better job than the average mechanic I dug around myself (thinking about it, shouldn’t there be at least one computer tech at dealers to work jobs like these and not the guys doing the wrenching?).

The update was successful and my SiriusXM issue was fixed. Part 1 takes 15 minutes to download and 2 minutes after reboot, Part 2 takes 10 minutes to download and 5 minutes after reboot. You need a 2GB min - 4GB Max flash drive which I had to buy on eBay since I had nothing that small. They recommend a battery maintainer so that the voltage doesn't drop while updating. I used my generic one on the 12V 2A trickle charge setting which maintained 12.3V through the update. You can't just leave the car running as the TSB says the update will abort if the voltage rises above 14.5V which my alternator would spike at 14.7V. You don't want a bricked HU.

I did download all of the Jan 30 '19 files for each year / model but from other posts it looks like sharing is not allowed here, mods can feel free to chime in if that's incorrect.

Attachments

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5 Premium
146 Posts
Thank you! I paid my $35 and downloaded the software (plus a bunch of PDFs). Updated the radio software AND the Gracenote database. Easy enough if you follow the instructions.

The dealer was going to charge at least one hour of labor to do the job.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Limited
18 Posts
Apparently, it took me a while to even notice this issue, but add mine to the list. I'll ask my dealer about it when I head in for 60,000-mile service.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
2,950 Posts
I had the update done on my '17 Premium done yesterday and now all of the Sirius/XM stations show up in the list. The "Tune Scan" now also seems to work as well.

But does anybody know exactly what the Tune Scan does and how it works? I haven't had time to play with it much. Nice to have the list thing finally working. Covered under warranty on mine.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts