Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2016 Premium that I really love, but...the audio is severely lacking. I was hoping to upgrade the speakersand leave the HU in place to see if that would significantly improve the muddy sound they currently provide. Any recommendations on brand/model of replacement speakrs would be appreciated.
thanks!

·
Registered
'13 Outback 3.6R
77 Posts
You will get a lot of response on this topic. Speakers alone will get you so much with this HK system.

I have a '16 Legacy and a '13 OB with the HK. Not sure what happened in the HK programming, but there was a change between '15 and '16. My '13 sounds amazing but the '16 was less than satisfying. Something about the sound stage being so focused on the front really bugged me. Using the installed controls couldn't fix my issues with the sound. Eventually I got tired of it and fixed the system. Added a DSP/amps/new speakers. Pricey, but it sounds amazing. Hopefully just speakers will help you. I understand Infinity's are pretty nice.

·
Registered
2017 outback 3.6
63 Posts
sound system

You will get a lot of response on this topic. Speakers alone will get you so much with this HK system.

I have a '16 Legacy and a '13 OB with the HK. Not sure what happened in the HK programming, but there was a change between '15 and '16. My '13 sounds amazing but the '16 was less than satisfying. Something about the sound stage being so focused on the front really bugged me. Using the installed controls couldn't fix my issues with the sound. Eventually I got tired of it and fixed the system. Added a DSP/amps/new speakers. Pricey, but it sounds amazing. Hopefully just speakers will help you. I understand Infinity's are pretty nice.
How much did you spend, and did you do it yourself?

·
Registered
'13 Outback 3.6R
77 Posts
How much did you spend, and did you do it yourself?
I am almost embarrassed to admit that I spent close to $3k on components. I kept the factory head unit & HK amp, just added a JL Fix & TwK to the amp output to condition the signal. Then on to new amps, door speakers, and a sub in the back. Included new wiring for the amps/DSP and ran all new 16ga speaker wire for all the speakers. Left the factory wiring intact in case I wanted to revert to stock (and kept the crappy factory speakers). I also installed vibration damper everywhere (doors, floors, and trunk) to reduce the road noise.

I did all the work myself and it was a great learning experience. Did cost me some time, but I like to work on cars, so all good.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I researched and looked at components, etc, and decided to go the cheapie route put Polk db692 up front and db652 in back. 2018 Outback Premium.

Left the dash speakers stock and connected so the ohms given to headunit would remain the same.

Sounds much much better (mids and highs) has better bass response and is louder. I choose the Polks as they stock HU only puts out about 13-15 watts RMS and they have a high sensitivity rating.

Bought everything at Crutchfield and they throw in all the brackets and wire adapters needed.

Around $200 plus time to install.

I do see a little amp in future but as is it's 100% better than stock.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts