Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi there!
I replaced the stock receiver in my 2016 Subaru Outback Premium 2.5 with a nicer Sony system. First, I bought all items recommended by Crutchfield, but noticed later on that not all of them were needed.

Parts
  1. Metra 40-LX11 Antenna Adapter
  2. Metra 70-1761 Receiver Wiring Harness
  3. Axxess AX-SUB5RVC-6V Backup Camera Adapter
  4. S&G Wire Cutter/Stripper Tool
  5. Posi-Products Car Stereo Wiring Harness Connectors
  6. 28-pin Head Unit Wiring Harness Adapter, Link: AutoHarnessHouse
    1. Alternative: Use quick wire splice taps. However, I find the adapter nicer. Since I only needed the male part of the adapter, I cut all cables in half and disposed the female end.
  7. Connects2 CTSUBARUUSB.2 USB Retention Cable, Link: Connects2 CTSUBARUUSB.2 USB Retention Cable For Subaru BRZ, Forester & Impreza
  8. Sony XAV-AV5600
  9. Quick Wire Splice Taps
    1. Only used for steering wheel control GND
  10. Metra Electronics - Subaru Legacy/Outback 2015-2019 (99-8906HG) Metra Radio Install kits
  11. DIYBypass Parking Brake Bypass for All Sony & Boss Radio Models: XAV, XAV-BT, XAV-DVD, XAV-AX, XAV-AX-SXM, XAV-BT, XAV-W-BT, BCPA-RC, BV, BV-B, BV-BLC, BV-BI, BV-NV, BVCP-A, BVNV-RC
  12. TE Connector for Telemetric Unit Bypass, Link: https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/TE-Connectivity-AMP/175615-2?qs=sGAEpiMZZMsyYdr3R27aV/VfB7QH8w1T&countrycode=US&currencycode=USD
    1. More Details, especially the last post: Disconnected cars: non-Starlink/LTE options
    2. There are ready-to-go adapters for sale, but at insane prices (>$50). Buying this part from Mouser and soldering a few pins is way cheaper and easy to do.
What works
  1. Radio
  2. Bluetooth
  3. Apple CarPlay/Android Auto via USB
  4. Microphone (attached to the steering wheel mount)
  5. Backup-camera
  6. All receiver options are accessible, even when driving
  7. Both USB ports in the front console work. Only one of them supports Android Auto/Carplay though.
  8. Steering Wheel control
    1. First, I tried the Axxess ASWC-1, but didn't succeed. I contacted their and Crutchfield's support, but they couldn't help me. I upgraded the firmware and tried several things without luck. Then, I just connected the receiver directly with the included 3 pin cable to the steering wheel pins in the 28port adapter. And everything works just fine!
What doesn't work
  1. SiriusXM - Theoretically possible, but requires a tuner. Since I don't plan to use it, I didn't care to buy it.
  2. AUX port. This receiver doesn't have AUX in. But since I don't need it, I didn't care.
  3. Subaru StarLink. Disabled by removing telemetrics and keeping front sounds working with TE Connector.
I hope this helps someone with the same idea. Especially the ASWC-1 part could have saved me a lot of time.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi there!
I replaced the stock receiver in my 2016 Subaru Outback Premium 2.5 with a nicer Sony system. First, I bought all items recommended by Crutchfield, but noticed later on that not all of them were needed.

Parts
  1. Metra 40-LX11 Antenna Adapter
  2. Metra 70-1761 Receiver Wiring Harness
  3. Axxess AX-SUB5RVC-6V Backup Camera Adapter
  4. S&G Wire Cutter/Stripper Tool
  5. Posi-Products Car Stereo Wiring Harness Connectors
  6. 28-pin Head Unit Wiring Harness Adapter, Link: AutoHarnessHouse
    1. Alternative: Use quick wire splice taps. However, I find the adapter nicer. Since I only needed the male part of the adapter, I cut all cables in half and disposed the female end.
  7. Connects2 CTSUBARUUSB.2 USB Retention Cable, Link: Connects2 CTSUBARUUSB.2 USB Retention Cable For Subaru BRZ, Forester & Impreza
  8. Sony XAV-AV5600
  9. Quick Wire Splice Taps
    1. Only used for steering wheel control GND
  10. Metra Electronics - Subaru Legacy/Outback 2015-2019 (99-8906HG) Metra Radio Install kits
  11. DIYBypass Parking Brake Bypass for All Sony & Boss Radio Models: XAV, XAV-BT, XAV-DVD, XAV-AX, XAV-AX-SXM, XAV-BT, XAV-W-BT, BCPA-RC, BV, BV-B, BV-BLC, BV-BI, BV-NV, BVCP-A, BVNV-RC
  12. TE Connector for Telemetric Unit Bypass, Link: https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/TE-Connectivity-AMP/175615-2?qs=sGAEpiMZZMsyYdr3R27aV/VfB7QH8w1T&countrycode=US&currencycode=USD
    1. More Details, especially the last post: Disconnected cars: non-Starlink/LTE options
    2. There are ready-to-go adapters for sale, but at insane prices (>$50). Buying this part from Mouser and soldering a few pins is way cheaper and easy to do.
What works
  1. Radio
  2. Bluetooth
  3. Apple CarPlay/Android Auto via USB
  4. Microphone (attached to the steering wheel mount)
  5. Backup-camera
  6. All receiver options are accessible, even when driving
  7. Both USB ports in the front console work. Only one of them supports Android Auto/Carplay though.
  8. Steering Wheel control
    1. First, I tried the Axxess ASWC-1, but didn't succeed. I contacted their and Crutchfield's support, but they couldn't help me. I upgraded the firmware and tried several things without luck. Then, I just connected the receiver directly with the included 3 pin cable to the steering wheel pins in the 28port adapter. And everything works just fine!
What doesn't work
  1. SiriusXM - Theoretically possible, but requires a tuner. Since I don't plan to use it, I didn't care to buy it.
  2. AUX port. This receiver doesn't have AUX in. But since I don't need it, I didn't care.
  3. Subaru StarLink. Disabled by removing telemetrics and keeping front sounds working with TE Connector.
I hope this helps someone with the same idea. Especially the ASWC-1 part could have saved me a lot of time.
Just found your posting, very helpful!!! Surprised there aren't more people doing the upgrade, but it's somewhat complicated as I am finding out (for me, that is).

I have a 2016 Subaru Legacy Premium, assuming it has similar OEM cablings as the Outback. I am installing a Sony unit as well, the XAV-AX3200, mainly for the CarPlay capability.

I ran into similar issues:
1. the original Starlink module, which is mounted directly underneath the original headunit, needs to be transferred and kept plugged-in in order to preserve front speaker functionality. Without it, no sound from front speaker. Crutchfield does not tell you where this module is located as there could be variations, whether the original system has Nav or other functions - for the 2016, on the Premium model, it's underneath the original stereo. Remove and mount underneath the new headunit.

2. For the steering wheel control which I still haven't figure out, but thanks to d8ALkTWIj6's post above, I will be getting the 28-pin Head Unit Wiring Harness Adapter, Link: AutoHarnessHouse. Do not get the Crutchfield-recommended adapter, it doesn't work. Would've saved me lots of time had I found d8ALkTWIj6's post first.

3. Crutchfield also sells a USB adapter AX-SUBUSB2, this cable does not work for the Subaru, at least not the Legacy Premium. Will try what d8ALkTWIj6 suggested above.

Thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi d8ALkTWIj6,

It seems that I am still having problem getting the steering wheel control to work. You mentioned "...I just connected the receiver directly with the included 3 pin cable to the steering wheel pins in the 28port adapter.", can you tell me which 3 pins of the 28port adapter that you connected to?

Thanks!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks d8ALkTWIj6!

It's really frustrating - seems relatively straight-forward, Sony 3.5mm cable's 3-wires (GND, Input 1, Input 2) connecting to pin 21, 22 and 23 of the 28-pin harness, but no luck thus far. Tried to reverse pin 21 and pin 22, connecting to Input 2 and Input 1...also no luck.

I will keep trying to figure it out...argghhh...will update when I have good news.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Very happy to report back - got the Steering Wheel controls/buttons to work!

Sony head unit comes with a 3.5mm cable for the steering wheel control. It has 3 wires, (GND - black, Input 1 - Green, Input 2 - Brown or Red).

Like d8ALkTWIj6, I purchased the 28-pin harness which makes the connection easier. What threw me off is the GND connection. Sony's GND which is black, needs to be connected to the Pink wire on the 28-pin harness, not to the Black wire.

3.5'mm - 28pin harness:
Black - Pink
Green - Green
Brown - Gray

Hope this helps anyone putting in a Sony headunit.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Also to add that if your Sony didn't come with 3.5mm, both Crutchfield and AutoHarnessHouse sells one. Just beware that their wires are of different colors than Sony's.

AutoHarnessHouse 3.5mm - 28pin harness:
Yellow - Pink
Red - Green
White - Gray

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, do you happen to have a parts list, Im installing the same head unit in my 2016 legacy and this is my first time doing something like this so I dont know what I need besides what crutchfield tells me and it sounds like they might be recommending things I dont actually need. Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Arctic,

here is what I purchased (below). Do NOT buy the Steering Wheel Control Adapter, nor the USB Adapter. Neither of them work. Your system will be full functional, with the exception of steering wheel controls. If you really want that, buy the 28-pin harness from AutoHarnessHouse, not cheap but that's the only solution that works. Make sure to take note on the wiring colors in my message above. You can also skip the Posi-Products Connectors if you have wiring connectors yourself, but these do a great job.

Rectangle Font Parallel Triangle Brand

Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Software

Rectangle Font Parallel Circle Magenta

Rectangle Font Parallel Circle Magenta

Water Rectangle Font Circle Brand

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Arctic,

here is what I purchased (below). Do NOT buy the Steering Wheel Control Adapter, nor the USB Adapter. Neither of them work. Your system will be full functional, with the exception of steering wheel controls. If you really want that, buy the 28-pin harness from AutoHarnessHouse, not cheap but that's the only solution that works. Make sure to take note on the wiring colors in my message above. You can also skip the Posi-Products Connectors if you have wiring connectors yourself, but these do a great job.

View attachment 546064
View attachment 546065
View attachment 546066
View attachment 546067
View attachment 546068
Awesome, thanks so much man, how does the dash look with the new radio, im concerned about the appearance.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts