Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
2016 Outback, 2500 miles.
I have slight shake/vibration in steering wheel at highway speeds, 60-75. This vibration seems to come and go. Had tires road force balanced at the dealer did not make any difference.
This is very irritating for a brand new car. Any body else experience this with their new Subies and find a fix?

Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
2016 Outback, 2500 miles.
I have slight shake/vibration in steering wheel at highway speeds, 60-75. This vibration seems to come and go. Had tires road force balanced at the dealer did not make any difference.
This is very irritating for a brand new car. Any body else experience this with their new Subies and find a fix?
Question...are you on the alloys or on winter tires and steel rims? If you are and the rims are not hub centric they will never really be completely balanced. At first whe I heard this I thought it was a load of BS...but after having generic rims on a car for years and having a little wheel shimmy after multiple balances I believe it it true...as our new RAV has hub centric Toyota steel rims for the snow tire rims and there is zero shake or shimmy.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Question...are you on the alloys or on winter tires and steel rims? If you are and the rims are not hub centric they will never really be completely balanced. At first whe I heard this I thought it was a load of BS...but after having generic rims on a car for years and having a little wheel shimmy after multiple balances I believe it it true...as our new RAV has hub centric Toyota steel rims for the snow tire rims and there is zero shake or shimmy.
Thank your scoobydo for your reply!
I have the alloy rims and tires that came with the limited model. I bought the car late October before the temperature fell below freezing. Don't recall feeling the vibration then. Is it possible it could be a temperature related thing?

Registered
Thank your scoobydo for your reply!
I have the alloy rims and tires that came with the limited model. I bought the car late October before the temperature fell below freezing. Don't recall feeling the vibration then. Is it possible it could be a temperature related thing?
Cold should not do that to your wheels. It could be snow on the inside of your rims...that wil give you a shake...shimmy if it gets in there

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Cold should not do that to your wheels. It could be snow on the inside of your rims...that wil give you a shake...shimmy if it gets in there
Perhaps I should be more specific. Its not a shimmy or shake. Its a very fast slight vibration much like a vibrator would feel that comes and goes...best way I can describe it.

Registered
Hmmm...maybe a bad tire...twisted belt. I had a set of Goodyear ultra grips and one had a twisted belt in it. After winter #2 with them on as the tire started to wear it made the shell shimmy...I put it on the back until I could replace it.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Good suggestion, thank you.
When I had the tires road balanced I suggested they rotate them to. They said no, it would upset the wear pattern and void the tire warranty with only having 2500 miles. When I do finely have them rotated it will be interesting to see in the vibration goes away. I've heard they don't put the BEST quality tires on new cars.
Thank you scoobydoo2 for your input!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts