Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all -- I have a '16 Outback with 66K miles on it. I just had it in for servicing and was told I needed to replace one front and one rear wheel bearing. I've read elsewhere that for some it's been covered under the powertrain warranty? Can anyone give me good guidance on how I should proceed and what I need to know, and where I can find more information? I had the work done to the tune of about $500+ for both about a week ago and now am reading this could be part of a larger problem. Your responses are appreciated.

/p

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What would that larger problem be?

Bearings wear out and the're a maintenance item. I think they're covered up to the first three years 36k. I have to look it up.
Thanks -- the larger problem I found in searching online would seem to suggest that Subaru has had a problem with bearings wearing out prematurely. I was surprised to learn I needed to replace half of them at 66K.

·
SubaruOutback.org Founder
2018 Outback Limited 2.5L - 100,000+ miles
4,913 Posts
I recall others mentioning wheel bearings being a potential issue on Gen 5 Outbacks but I do think that a wheel bearing going bad on a car 4-5 years old with 66000 miles is a bit out of sorts.

I have a 2018 Outback with just under 100,000 miles and it is beginning to show telltale signs of at least one wheel bearing starting to go bad but this car has seen a lot of wear and tear over 2.5 years.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts