Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2016 Outback has a fully charged battery, and all systems appear functional, but WILL NOT CRANK. Last evening the driver couldn't turn the ignition key, and someone helped by spraying some graphite into the ignition. Key then turned. At the next stop the car started fine. This morning it would not crank. Battery was a bit low, so charged it to above 12.5v, cleaned terminals. Will not crank. No power to solenoid with key in "start" position. Security light STAYS LIT with key in ignition. Disconnecting battery, letting system power drain by leaving a light on had no effect.

My concern is that the key and anti-theft no longer agree to allow the car to start. No spare key nearby.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2001 Outback Wagon 3.0 VDC
356 Posts
I think there may be more than one issue here, normally if I remember correctly, a key which is not programmed to the immobilizer (security light stays on) will still allow the engine to start but it will then stall out right away. But to get a no crank situation with the key turned to start position could be something unrelated to the immobilizer.

One way to test and simply bypass the start position with the key.

Disconnect the trigger wire from the starter, attach a single wire with a female spade connector, touch the other end briefly to the positive post on the battery, if the engine still does not crank then either the battery is still weak (should still click at the least) or the starter solenoid is toast (it won't click at all and it will most likely feel warm/hot to touch).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
"One way to test and simply bypass the start position with the key."

Got the spare key from out-of-state, no change.

Disconnected the wire from the solenoid, installed jumper. Starter cranks fine. Repeated with key "on", engine cranked but no start.

Thus, neither key will crank car. Starter is good. No start when forced to crank.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts