Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone out there have experienced very loud engine noise,(sounds like a can of bolts being shaken), from a completely cold start? The noise subsides a bit after the engine is completely warmed up. The noise is especially noticeable when you first start to drive.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6R
84 Posts
Sounds like something very similar I had in a Forester. Turned out to be the exhaust system was loose in a few places. The "can of bolts" is what got my attention with that.

·
Registered
2010/2016 outback
1,067 Posts
Anyone out there have experienced very loud engine noise,(sounds like a can of bolts being shaken), from a completely cold start? The noise subsides a bit after the engine is completely warmed up. The noise is especially noticeable when you first start to drive.
Do a search it is normal. Some folks have claimed different oil helps. I use Mobil 1's finest(once a year stuff) although it does not get rid of rattling during start up the car seems to run better and even have more pep.

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Outback, 2002 Audi S4 Avant, 1980 CB750F Supersport, 1985 Carrera 3.2
568 Posts
Most likely variable valve timing solenoids filling with oil pressure, common on any car with it especially in colder climates. Different types of oils can help but it's not a major concern and normal operation.

·
Registered
2016 Outback 3.6R Ltd. w. Eyesight
232 Posts
Most likely variable valve timing solenoids filling with oil pressure, common on any car with it especially in colder climates. Different types of oils can help but it's not a major concern and normal operation.
I haven't noticed it with my 2016 OB, but my 2012 Honda CRV makes a ton of racket on first start of the day when it's below freezing. Many of them do. According to Honda, it's the VTEC actuator, similar to what you said above. Examples:
and

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Outback, 2002 Audi S4 Avant, 1980 CB750F Supersport, 1985 Carrera 3.2
568 Posts
I haven't noticed it with my 2016 OB, but my 2012 Honda CRV makes a ton of racket on first start of the day when it's below freezing. Many of them do. According to Honda, it's the VTEC actuator, similar to what you said above.
Yup, my old Element did it notoriously as well. I've heard it a few times on my Outback, primarily when the oil is getting older and it's below freezing out. The worst I've heard are the older BMW VANOS systems; they sound like someone just dumped nails all over the motor when it starts but it's absolutely fine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts