Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Limited 3.6R
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. New guy here and looking for some advice from owners!

I have a 2007 Subaru Forester X/Columbia Edition, automatic (picture below) that I am looking to upgrade. I like the Outback because #1 it's Subaru, it is a newer, slightly larger, quieter and more luxurious version of my car. I feel most of the things I would change about my car can be found in the 2017 Outback. So here's my question.

I am trying to decide between the 2.5 manual or the 3.6R auto. I would love to drive a manual again and the new 2018+ (here in Canada) will no longer come with a manual option. However, I also wish my Forester had more passing power which I could only find in a 3.6R. Looking for personal experience from owners of both models and what are your pros and cons. Also, my Forester averages 26-30mpg depending on the trip, how does your real life mpg compare with your 2.5 manual or 3.6R? I am looking at the Touring model which here in Canada is one above the base trim and comes with the auto-lift gate, dimming mirrors, sunroof, etc.

Less important lifestyle info - I use my Forester as a commuter to and from work 2 miles each way. However, I love to road trip/cottage, etc. and drive 20,000+ miles each year and this is why fuel economy and comfort is also important. I also tow my seadoo a few times each summer to different lakes and 1-2 times a year I'll haul a utility trailer to the cottage. I use my roof racks a lot for carrying my kayaks, etc.

Attachments

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have a 2017 Outback manual. I love it BUT I should have taken the automatic transmission... The manual is, of course, fun to drive, but due to the lack of power and torque... well I think that the automatic would have been much adapted to it. Still I average 8 l/100 @110 km/h which isn't bad (except when the Thule box is installed...)

·
Registered
493 Posts
6 forward gears in a 4 cylinder car that weighs as much as an outback is a lot of shifting if you drive local streets with frequent traffic lights and stop signs. Even if the acceleration is acceptable, it is still a lot of shifting.

·
Registered
2016 Limited 3.6R
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the information both of you.

Carl, how do you enjoy driving the car day to day? Is the shifter/clutch smooth or is it a car where shifting feels more of a hassle. Do you ever tow or load it full of gear or goodies and if so how does it pull the weight? I had that same thought about power/torque. My Forester weighs roughly 400lbs less but makes the same power and I find it to be just barely enough power. Any less and it would struggle especially when loaded with gear or towing. Your mileage seems very good though!

Seajay, Is your comment from experience or speculation?

I'd still love to hear more opinions if anyone has more to add but so far I am leaning towards the 3.6R due to power alone. Also, on paper the 3.6R is still rated for marginally better mpg than my 2007 Forester and makes 83hp more.

·
Registered
90 Posts
CDnScooby, clutch/shifter is very smooth and I got no problem towing fairly good load. But the 6th gear is clearly an overdrive.... downshift is required when passing or when climbing hills.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts