Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Outback 2.5i 2017
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure if it's the car or me. I'm parked on a steep slope and I have the hill holder set on. I start the car, go into drive and the handbrake is on, when I hit the accelerator the car hits the brake and won't move. I release the handbrake and the handbrake is now off. When I take my foot off the brake the car starts rolling backward. That's it. Is it the car or me?

Still in drive, I put my foot on the brake, I turn the hill holder off, turn it on again, the park brake goes on. I try and accelerate and the same, park brake is on, car won't move.

I'm taking it in to the dealer today to either learn how to do it or get it fixed.

·
Registered
'13 2.5 Premium
2,401 Posts
According to your OWNER'S MANUAL, you must have your seat belt on. Was it on?
Yeah, seat belt on - and I think all doors must be closed.

The difference between the hill-holder and the not-hill-holder is that one will engage automatically and the other won't.

Both modes, hill holder or manual parking brake engagement, release automatically as long as your seatbelts are on and the doors are closed.

·
Registered
Outback 2.5i 2017
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Seat belt. Hmmm. Probably, it's illegal to drive on public roads without it here, so it becomes automatic, but I was in a driveway so it's possible I didn't have it on, I don't remember.

·
Registered
'13 2.5 Premium
2,401 Posts
Seat belt. Hmmm. Probably, it's illegal to drive on public roads without it here, so it becomes automatic, but I was in a driveway so it's possible I didn't have it on, I don't remember.
I run into it in my own driveway, too. Put the car in park and engage brake, get out to move the trash can, get back in (do not put seat belt back on), release brake, pull up closer to garage door, stop to check the mirrors will clear, hill holder will engage but I don't realize it, try to pull into garage and brake holds the car still as I keep giving it more gas.

I don't use hill holder, but in the winter, when I wear heavy gloves, I can accidentally turn it on.

·
Registered
Outback 2.5i 2017
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I tested it today and it worked fine. I think must have not had my seatbelt on. I do tend to leave it off until I leave my drive and get to the road.

Thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts