Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

New to the forum. Recently downsized from a Tacoma to a Subaru. I’ve tried looking through the threads, but can find a simple answer. What performance impacts have people seen after bigger tires/lift on the 2.5i drive train? My fiancé and I often take trips to the mountains here in SoCal so I’d hate to sacrifice performance. Just curious on everyone’s experience.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
6,817 Posts
I myself have experienced the performance robbing effects of bigger heavier tires on cars with small engines, and the benefits of lighter wheels and tires on a car with a small engine.

Illustration:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TymEP9gzw4

This article is a good one but it's not gospel - do whatever you want but he shows his logic and you can draw your own conclusions:

·
Registered
2018 3.6r Touring, Black, modifications: 255-55-zr18 Continental DWS06
463 Posts
@SilverOnyx for the win. Everything after will be bloating the thread with additional.....hey wait a minute!!!

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yup. Thanks for the reply @SilverOnyx! Definitely answered my questions and prompted me to head down the rabbit hole for this topic. End result...MR 502’s with 235/65/17. Better tire than stock and not adding a significant amount of weight.

·
Registered
'10 3.6R Outback Limited, 2zr swapped Toyota Yaris track toy, '12 Mazda3 skyactive
596 Posts
To add some anecdotal evidence:

My 2010 3.6R has a very noticable performance loss with my winter steelies, same size tire and rim as my aluminum summers but with a decent weight penalty.

Subjectively this is really noticed on acceleration and even fuel mileage (albeit other factors such as winter gas factor in on that). The 3.6 is by no means a small engine and it is still very noticable, I don't want to know what it would do to the 2.5.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts