Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Typically when I don’t let the car warm up it runs a little sluggish. I was in a rush leaving for work today and the temperature outside is -18 feels like -30. I hopped in, the car fired right up as per usual and I pulled out of my driveway. I didn’t realize but a car was coming up behind me fast so I stepped on the gas, I wasn’t accelerating fast enough so I stepped on it more and the car shut off. I pulled over put it in park (dash flashing to do so) and the car won’t start again. I disconnected the battery for 5 minutes and tried again until the battery died. I went back and tried boosting it but nothing. It cranks but that’s it, no chugging or like the engine is trying.

There’s no codes

Any ideas or suggestions is greatly

125,000 KM. Recent new plugs and a coil pack

·
Super Moderator
Outback 2011 3.6R Premium (sold Jan 22)
3,179 Posts
I suspect it will start when things warm up.

Another forum member posted about a very similar situation just a few days ago and their vehicle started up when the day was warmer.

Seagrass

·
Registered
2010 Outback 3.6R 2014 Legacy 2.5i
3,326 Posts
connect a scanner to it and verify

ambient temp matches IAT when cold and not running
coolant temp is reading ambient

highly unlikely both exhaust exits are plugged

my very first guess would be lack of fuel delivery.

how many miles on it?

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
12,948 Posts
How much fuel is in it? Is it parked level?

I've had something similar happen when low on fuel.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Premier 2.5i
1,409 Posts
Had a similar experience when test driving a used car, doing a bit of a jack rabbit start from the light. Timing belt jumped.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just an update. I got it towed to my mechanic and he thinks the engine is done. He thinks it’s to do with a major timing issue and suggests a new engine. I have an extended warranty so I’m getting it towed to an approved mechanic (the dealership I bought it used from). What a mess. I loved the car

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6r touring //// 2004 Wrx wagon 5mt SOLD
156 Posts
That would be pretty rare, but not impossible, for the 3.6 to blow from a timing issue. It's not like the older 4 cylinder motors with a belt that can snap. These have timing chains. That's a major bummer. Keep us updated.

·
Registered
2010 Outback 3.6R 2014 Legacy 2.5i
3,326 Posts
mileage?
did they remove and inspect plugs?
did they do a compression test?

guessing the engine is done vs actually being that way are two different things

those 3.6L can go 300K or more without any major work outside of leak fixes

1 - 9 of 9 Posts