Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
2017 3.6R Limited
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought a used 2017 3.6R Limited 6 weeks ago with 15.5k on the clock. I've been browsing the forums for gas mileage reports and am a little concerned with how far below them my car falls. I've put 1700 miles on the car since I bought it and Fuelly says I have averaged 21.0 mpg with roughly 70% highway miles. Everything (so far as I know) is stock besides the 19 mm rear sway bar I installed maybe 800 miles ago. I've approached 26 mpg on one tank of gas where it was maybe 95% highway miles but I'm a little concerned. Has anyone else found the 3.6 to be this kind of gas hog? I should note I have drastically lightened my lead foot since buying this car.

Edit: the title should read "concerning" instead of "disappointing". I was not expecting great gas mileage when buying an H6 OB.

·
Registered
2015 2.5i and a 2018 3.6R
74 Posts
I get about 24 mpg max on long highway trips. Just came back from a 10 hour round trip and got 23.8 mpg. I drove around 75 mph and my car is a 2018 3.6R with 45,000 miles. 235 18 all terrain tires on aftermarket wheels, roof basket with a full sized spare. Lots of extra weight.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Hate to say it....... but you'll always use more fuel than the 2.5. Well, unless you get a tailwind when the 2.5 beside you has a headwind. :LOL:

Might run a tank (or 2) of really good fuel to see if you get any changes, but it'll just be a test. Doubt if you want to pay the extra, long term.

Also, check your tire pressure. Keep up with that, it can be crucial.

·
Registered
4,787 Posts
falls how far below what? fuelly shows about what you are getting - depending on which stat, either fill ups or # of vehicles - it's on the 22mpg side of the 21-24mpg range. your average is close to what most of those cars get.

on long highway runs I get 28 or 29... no car top carrier, just me and my stuff (not a lot of extra weight). That's mostly flat highway runs.

It's not going to be that much better. Could try non-ethanol fuels, or ones that don't have as much ethanol in them... I see an immediate hit if I get cheaper higher ethanol content fuel.

Your numbers are also in line with the EPA test cycle for that car (20 city / 27 highway / 22 combined)

·
Registered
2017 Outback Limited 2.5, Twilight Blue/Ivory, Eyesight. Also 1995 BMW 525i with 240,000 miles
2,244 Posts
My 2017 2.5 has always been low in town. I get 14 mpg is cold weather to18-19 mpg in the summer. These are short trips of about a mile to 5 miles on city streets. usually from a cold start. Interstate I get 29-32 mpg. Go figure.

Reactions: walker

·
Registered
2017 3.6R Limited
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I appreciate the responses. Definitely didn't expect the 3.6 to get great mileage. Seems like I see a lot of owners reporting the EPA estimate or higher while I end up on the lowest end of the spectrum. My main concern with the mileage I'm getting is that something might be wrong with the car. If the mileage I'm getting is from a healthy car I'll be happy because it's at least as good I was getting in my previous car, and on regular vs premium gas to boot.

·
Registered
2019 Outback 3.6R Touring
378 Posts
I appreciate the responses. Definitely didn't expect the 3.6 to get great mileage. Seems like I see a lot of owners reporting the EPA estimate or higher while I end up on the lowest end of the spectrum. My main concern with the mileage I'm getting is that something might be wrong with the car. If the mileage I'm getting is from a healthy car I'll be happy because it's at least as good I was getting in my previous car, and on regular vs premium gas to boot.
1) inflate tires 2) change engine air filter if dirty or old 3) oil change. What type of tires are you running? How do you like the change with the 19mm bar?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 3.6R Limited
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
1) inflate tires 2) change engine air filter if dirty or old 3) oil change. What type of tires are you running? How do you like the change with the 19mm bar?

Tires are 1 psi above factory spec (something I came across on the forums), as far as I know the car had an oil change and new engine air filter installed by the dealer. I'm going to get an oil change and regular service soon though just to be on the safe side.

The 19 mm bar has no negatives so far. I think the car handles slightly better regarding body roll with no ride quality drawbacks. Was also a fun wrenching project (which lasted all of 20 minutes).

·
Registered
4 Posts
We are getting around 25-26 in and around town in Colorado Springs. Wife’s 3.6r has about 6800 miles on it and completely stock. we don’t baby it either, you have to be somewhat aggressive with the go pedal to stay with traffic.

·
Registered
2018 Limited 2.5i
590 Posts
its probably hard to keep your foot out of it. i know now that my 2.5 has 50k on it and its getting "broken in" the gas mileage has started to get better than i initially thought. i never see below 25mpg mixed driving. this last tank or 2 has been 22-23 as the car has been sitting idling more than usual due to waiting at places(coronavirus stuff) with the car running and AC on. it will get better.

·
Registered
'17 OB 3.6R Touring [ex-'09 OB Ltd. (2009-16); ex-'01 Audi A6 Avant (2001-2009)]; '14 Impreza Sport Premium
854 Posts
4 years, 26k miles.

25-27 mpg highway tops (could probably do 27-28 at a 60 mph cruise control), 22-23 with 2 kayak on the roof. ~21 mpg average overall driving 80% local/suburban.

I essentially get the approximate EPA rated numbers for those specific types of driving.

·
Registered
2019 Outback 3.6R Touring
378 Posts
4 years, 26k miles.

25-27 mpg highway tops (could probably do 27-28 at a 60 mph cruise control), 22-23 with 2 kayak on the roof. ~21 mpg average overall driving 80% local/suburban.

I essentially get the approximate EPA rated numbers for those specific types of driving.
These numbers seem spot on, I get 20 on avg, but I do 90% city driving. I have gotten 27 on the highway.

·
Registered
2016 OB Limited 3.6R
228 Posts
There are few SUV/crossovers that can deliver the same horsepower, MPG and AWD capability the 3.6R OB does. It's a very good balance. Maybe not the most horsepower compared to other manufactures but it's typically more fuel efficient than them.

I currently average 26.5mpg mostly rural driving 30-50mph and extremely light traffic. I have a K&N drop in filter, inflate tires to manual spec. time lights and no excessive acceleration. Grandpa driving...

Pure city I average 21-22mpg and pure highway 27-28 at 70mph. I find this unbelievable compared to the 17mpg average of my 1991 and 1999 Cherokees lol. And better than my 2007 2.5i Forester which averaged 23-24mpg.

Reactions: Dyngwal

·
Registered
'17 OB 3.6R Touring [ex-'09 OB Ltd. (2009-16); ex-'01 Audi A6 Avant (2001-2009)]; '14 Impreza Sport Premium
854 Posts
There are few SUV/crossovers that can deliver the same horsepower, MPG and AWD capability the 3.6R OB does. It's a very good balance. Maybe not the most horsepower compared to other manufactures but it's typically more fuel efficient than them.

I currently average 26.5mpg mostly rural driving 30-50mph and extremely light traffic. I have a K&N drop in filter, inflate tires to manual spec. time lights and no excessive acceleration. Grandpa driving...

Pure city I average 21-22mpg and pure highway 27-28 at 70mph. I find this unbelievable compared to the 17mpg average of my 1991 and 1999 Cherokees lol. And better than my 2007 2.5i Forester which averaged 23-24mpg.
my ‘17 3.6R gets the same or better fuel economy as my ‘09 2.5 4-cylinder (With 100+ additional hp). /ftw

and on our 525-mile trip to MA each year, the 3.6 probably makes dozens of fewer downshifts, which makes it a much more relaxing and enjoyable car to drive imo.

·
Registered
2018 3.6r Touring, Black, modifications: 255-55-zr18 Continental DWS06
341 Posts
Your results appear to be normal. My 2017 3.6 and 2018 3.6 are similar. The 18 is touring so lower profile roof but don't think that gave even 1mpg difference.

In Houston, normal highway speed when not stopped-peak hours is 65-80 mph.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
383 Posts
Your results appear to be normal. My 2017 3.6 and 2018 3.6 are similar. The 18 is touring so lower profile roof but don't think that gave even 1mpg difference.

In Houston, normal highway speed when not stopped-peak hours is 65-80 mph.

I agree, MPG depends on a lot of things including: type of gas, extra weight in the car, wind conditions, driving style, tire inflation, and many many other things. Your MPG is definitely within spec.

·
Registered
2018 3.6r Touring, Black, modifications: 255-55-zr18 Continental DWS06
341 Posts
I have oversized diameter and width all.season tires at 35-36 PSI and typically use 89 octane fuel.

·
Registered
'17 Outback Limited 3.6R in Venetian Red.
434 Posts
I bought my OB with the 3.6 for smoothness of power delivery and the extra torque. My mileage also isn't stellar, especially since it's tuned. It's nice to have one of the last port injected, naturally aspirated motors with great reliability. Although the 3.6 has some strikes against it, I believe it is one of Subaru's best motors.

·
Registered
2017 3.6R Limited
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Same reason I wanted the '17 3.6R: smooth, reliable, and the car is kind of quick. Wasn't expecting (or even looking for) phenomenal mpg, especially with my last car getting 19-20 mpg on premium. I kept reading 3.6 owners reporting EPA-estimate or better mpg and I'm on the low end and was worried something might be wrong with the car. But I guess I'm within spec so I'll live with it. Absolutely love the car though. It's my first Subaru and probably won't be my last.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts