Subaru Outback Forums banner

101 - 103 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
17'SOBL said:
I don't suggest a human trusts a computer to double check a computer. Both have error.
Huh?
You're obviously not familiar with "auditing" or "computer bugs". Go-a-head, put your life in the trust of a computer. Do you know what "once bitten, twice shy" means?

Hand calc is the only accurate way I know I can "trust". Simple math!
Are you asserting that using a pencil and paper is somehow more accurate than using a hand calculator or a computer?

"Trust, but verify." ~ Ronald Reagan
"Check your work." ~ every good teacher I ever had
WOW man, but that's a sorta demeaning to my statement. Please watch your words.
Measure twice, cut once. - done by every smart carpenter I've ever met.

All a computer CAN DO is "estimate".
The problem with Subaru's fuel mileage display isn't a computer problem, it's a data problem. It isn't an error in the calculations, it's uncertainty in the fuel delivery data input to those calculations, which is based on the long-term sum of fuel injector ON-time pulse widths. Consider that: 1) the fuel delivery per fuel injector pulse is measured in microliters, 2) fuel delivery vs. injector ON pulse width is a nonlinear function, 3) each fuel injector has its own slight variation in flow rate, and 4) there is some interaction among injectors sharing a common fuel rail that affects flow rates.
Data is used by computers to do math, or estimate. If one is not right, nothing is right.
EXACTLY ......what I said!
It's an estimate! (K.I.S.S.)

·
Registered
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
6,927 Posts
You're obviously not familiar with "auditing" or "computer bugs".
Your assumption is incorrect. I've been designing and implementing microprocessor-based embedded systems since 1973, starting with the lowly Intel 4004 ... systems that typically ran 24/7/365 and often involved human health and safety. I owned and managed my own computer design and consulting business for more than 40 years. Your life has probably been affected by some of the work I have done over that time. At this point I'm simply not receptive to lectures on software quality and reliability from some anonymous person on the Internet, thank you. 'Nuff said.

Bonus: Sign that always hung prominently somewhere in our office or shop: "'Zero Defects' is barely good enough."

·
Premium Member
2018 Subaru Outback Limited 3.6R Crystal White Pearl/black interior
369 Posts
I am not nearly as disappointed in the mpg of the 3.6R in our 2018 Outback, as I am in the electronics and software. The head unit software is flaky and the battery in our Outback has failed for the second time in three years.

101 - 103 of 103 Posts