Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2017 3.6R Outback
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I have a 2017 3.6R. I went with the 17 because it seems to have been a good year for the Outback. I figured the 18 could be a risk since it's brand new. I've been reading that a lot of people see more value in the 18. My Subaru knowledge is decent regarding features and benefits but I'm not a technical guru.

Are there advantages to the 17 as opposed to the 18? Thanks in advance. :jump:

·
Registered
2018 2.5i Limited w/EyeSight
207 Posts
Not really that I could see when I cross-shopped these. The head unit in the 2018s is really buggy, but I'm not sure how much better the 2017 is. Otherwise, it's pretty much a straight upgrade.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6R Limited
203 Posts
Probably not really, other than it should cost less but it's value would be less to begin with. But it'll be a fine ride anyhow and good luck with it.

·
Registered
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,110 Posts
I figured the 18 could be a risk since it's brand new.
The MY 2018 Outback isn't "brand new." It's just a mid-cycle "refresh" of the G5 design.

Are there advantages to the 17 as opposed to the 18?
This question always strikes me as strange, since you say you've already purchased a MY 2017 Outback. Just enjoy your new ride, and don't obsess about it!

·
SubaruOutback.org Founder
2018 Outback Limited 2.5L - 111,000+ miles
5,165 Posts
This question always strikes me as strange, since you say you've already purchased a MY 2017 Outback. Just enjoy your new ride, and don't obsess about it!
This thread strikes me as strange, we have a 2016 Outback 3.6 thread, a 2017 Outback 3.6 thread, and a 2018 Outback 3.6 thread that were all popping up around the same time. Its like the "Thoughts on 3.6 Touring" type threads that are not a whole lot different from any "Thoughts on 3.6 Limited" thread.

There is no radical difference between any of these vehicles but do we ever have a lot of people who want to parse out every little nuance to the umpteenth degree.

·
Registered
17 OB Premium, White w/black
105 Posts
Hey guys,

I have a 2017 3.6R. I went with the 17 because it seems to have been a good year for the Outback. I figured the 18 could be a risk since it's brand new. I've been reading that a lot of people see more value in the 18. My Subaru knowledge is decent regarding features and benefits but I'm not a technical guru.

Are there advantages to the 17 as opposed to the 18? Thanks in advance. :jump:
I bought a 17 4 months ago and don't regret not waiting for an 18 at all. Enjoy your awesome 6cylinder Soobiemobile.!!!

Reactions: Outback-T

·
Registered
2018 3.6R Touring Outback
26 Posts
I could of purchased a 2017 touring 3.6R but I'm glad I waited and got the 2018 with the upgraded features.

·
Registered
2017 outback 3.6
63 Posts
I just bought the 17 3.6 limited, liked it better than the 18. Stereo sounded better in the 17, the shiny black plastic in the 18 will always look dirty and dusty. I leased so did not care as much about resale.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Enjoy your 17 3.6R! I leased mine in May, if it proved out I will buy it out at end of lease and lease an Ascent.

There is nothing about the 18 that makes me regret the 17. I'm a less is more person anymore, Limited trim no eyesight or any other gegaws that weren't standard. I really didn't want a new car but our lightly modded 05 OBXT was getting problematic as our primary car and i just didn't need the worry of what next to fix.

Wife wanted another Subaru and liked the turbo power so a six it was. Cheaper to operate and better mileage on regular was a win - win for us. Car is quiet and refined, not as fast as the OBXT but more predictable and consistent. Don't care for the starlink infotainment system at all, but it's there, thank goodness no other systems integrated with it, and it's working with no issues for now, in fact I don't have any real complaints about the 17 outback as a whole. One funny thing is though that my 98 Outback limited has a larger and more useful cargo area with the seats up.

·
Registered
2017 3.6R Limited with Eye Sight
648 Posts
I figured the 18 could be a risk since it's brand new.
When I was young, some smart engineers told me:

Don't buy the first version....it's buggy.
Don't buy the third version...it's where they make it cheaper to save money.

The second version, that's the sweet spot. The bugs are fixed and the bean counters haven't cheapened the product yet.

·
Registered
2018 Dark Blue Outback 3.6R Touring arrived 8/31/2017
343 Posts
When I was young, some smart engineers told me:

Don't buy the first version....it's buggy.
Don't buy the third version...it's where they make it cheaper to save money.

The second version, that's the sweet spot. The bugs are fixed and the bean counters haven't cheapened the product yet.
The 2018 I have seems solid in all but one aspect: the head unit.

As far as I’m aware, it was first in the 2017 Impreza, not sure if it’s exactly the same.

If things are following that pattern, it scares me to think how buggy it was in last year’s Impreza,and how bad it will be next year! :surprise::frown2:

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i Limited Eyesight - Remote Start - Auto Dimming In/Outside Mirrors
245 Posts
Test drove a 2016 Outback. I then test drove a 2018 Outback. First thing I noticed was the 2018 was noticeably a quieter ride. That sold me at least on the '16 vs '18. I never did test drive a 2017.

The price differences between a '17 and an '18 however were so close, for me, I could flip either way. With that being said though, why pay for a '17 when for the same amount I could have an '18?

For better or for worse, another deciding factor was the head unit in the '18. With Apple/Android Play and other features I figured (hoped) it would make more sense to get the latest/greatest electronics.

I also discovered that with the 2018 they improved airflow to the rear passengers and considering I have kids, the '18 continued to tip in favor (Maybe this was a Premium vs Limited package thing? - I can't remember now.).

The 3.6 Outback did intrigue me. I just did not feel I needed the extra muscle though. (I have a 6.2 Yukon that fits that nicely.) Coming from an '05 Corolla with a 1.8 engine and maybe 100 HP, jumping to a 2.5 170 HP was plenty enough of a jump for me. I just needed something to get me to and from work - safely.

So ride, electronics, price, rear passenger benefits all played into my decision for a 2018.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts