Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings and good day.

i'm seriously considering purchasing my first Subie, a used 2017 OB. did a short test drive and really liked the car. i've read lots of reviews and one indicated that the seat comfort wasn't great (short seat pan) for a tall guy. i thought it was reasonable in the short test i did.

wondering if any of you are particularly tall (i'm 6 5) or long legged and what your thoughts are.

thanks, J

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
4,151 Posts
I'm a bit shorter and fat so my personal experience won't help, but I've seen a few complaints from taller folks who say the outside mirrors don't have enough range of adjustment when they have the seat all the way back. I can't remember if there is a good workaround or not but it is something worth considering when testing out a car.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5i Limited
123 Posts
I am 6' 4" and have had my 2017 Outback 2.5i Limited for just about a year. Plenty of room for legs and head. Love the seat.

·
Registered
2015 Outback Limited 3.6r
336 Posts
Plenty of room sure, but some of the worst lumbar support. That, coupled with the fact that there is no extending thigh cushion would make me say: pick a 2020 or don't get a Subaru.
The seat bottom cushions are so short that half of my thighs aren't even in the seats. At 6'4" I do fit, but the seat is in its lowest position for me.
If it was 2017 and I was picking a car I would've gotten something that fit me better. I regularly take 600+ weekend trips throughout the year. If you are dead set on a Subaru get a pillow.

Edit: Added pic to substantiate my claim and emphasize that due to my driving habits (frequent 600+ mile trips) that the Outback is not a suitable car for me. I will not be buying another Subaru unless it has an extending thigh cushion. Just because I "fit" doesn't mean I fit comfortably.
Thank you.

Attachments

·
Registered
164 Posts
2015, content.

Not a full german low low seat back/high knee with lap range steering column travel... But it works for 6'4"

- you'll find the sweet spot...
And if it's a 3.6r, you'll find a reason.

I've got a head full of locks that generally fit up as well, fwiw

·
SubaruOutback.org Founder
2018 Outback Limited 2.5L - 105,000+ miles
5,121 Posts
I am 6'1" and have been fine with two 2018 Outbacks over the past three years. If you are going long distances over several hours of driving I personally recommend stopping every 2-3 hours to get out of the car and move around. I remember a time in which I drove five hours non-stop and you would have thought that I was crippled if you had seen me getting out of the car afterwards.

·
Registered
2018 3.6 Touring
3 Posts
6'2 and second what Kevin said. Just made a 1500 mile road trip in the thing and holy ****, after a couple hours my hips were killing me. The eyesight cruise control did offer some relief though; plenty of room to move your legs around.

·
Registered
2017 Subaru Outback Limited
46 Posts
I am just under 6'6" and weigh 245 pounds. I have a 2017 Limited Outback, and have no issues with leg room and find it very comfortable to drive. I would not be hesitant to buy a Subaru. My wife owns a Lexus RX 350 and I have more leg room in my Outback than she does. Hope this helps in your decision making.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i think that even the very best car/truck seats can only do so much. i can't sit in my high end recliner more than an hour without getting antsy. humans weren't designed to sit still for long. second drive tomorrow of the specific car in question and i'll probably make an offer to buy.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6 Touring
25 Posts
I've got you all beat. 6'8". My 2018 Outback has at least as much, if not more, leg room (and headroom, even with the sunroof) as any car or SUV I have owned so far. I tested a number of vehicles before buying, and the only one that had significantly more legroom was an Audi Q8. A little pricey for my budget.

For what it's worth, I've had a couple vehicles with more thigh support, but frankly didn't make any difference with my long legs.

·
Registered
2018 Limited 2.5i
619 Posts
im 6'5", alittle on the hefty side and love the outback. the leg room and headroom are comparable to if not better than most SUVs ive been in. the seats provide plenty of adjustment. i will say on longer drives, the card could use alittle more thigh support in the seats. but it didnt and wouldnt stop me from buying another one

·
Registered
2015 Subaru Legacy 2.5 Premium. Now has 115,000 miles.
15 Posts
Greetings and good day.

i'm seriously considering purchasing my first Subie, a used 2017 OB. did a short test drive and really liked the car. i've read lots of reviews and one indicated that the seat comfort wasn't great (short seat pan) for a tall guy. i thought it was reasonable in the short test i did.

wondering if any of you are particularly tall (i'm 6 5) or long legged and what your thoughts are.

thanks, J
I have a 2015 2.5 Premium Legacy, I am 6'4" and weigh 285. The seat is fine, more comfortable than my Audi A4. The driver's door mirror could use a little more adjustment, but I can live with it.

·
Registered
2012 Outback Ltd 3.6r
480 Posts
The 5th Gen ('15-'19) seats are every so longer than a 4th Gen, which they claimed the same thing in reviews. Actually, they didn't state it was uncomfortable, just that 'some' drivers may wish for slightly longer (deeper) seats. I'm 6' 2.25" (33 inseam) and also around 280-285 lbs, and while the cushions are shorter than my prior GMC Envoy, they're plenty comfortable, even on long drives. I've run 7+ hours up into Canada with my '12, which keep in mind has slightly smaller seats than the 5th Gen, and was comfortable all the way, and more importantly, after getting out of the car when arriving. - That's the true test, what do you legs feel like after the drive. (Had a Windstar in the 90s, and could barely stand or walk after a 1.5 hour drive, with the pedal placement/angle).

·
Registered
2018 2.5i Premium ES
191 Posts
Greetings and good day.

thanks, J
6'7" over here. I have had no issues in my 2.5 years of ownership. Nor knee room issues either, 36" inseam

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6R Touring CVT
26 Posts
6'4" and just finished an 800 mile drive. Seats are OK but I have to shift from right to left hip after a few hours. Full tank runs make for interesting contortions at the gas stop.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Outback Limited w/ Eyesight, Wilderness Green
67 Posts
I'm 6'4" and find the OB to be completely satisfactory. My biggest complaint is the mirror adjustment. They just don't turn out far enough when you have the seat pushed back all the way. Otherwise legroom, headroom, etc. are all good. I get restless after long drives and have to shift around in the seat, but that happens with every car I've driven. I wouldn't turn away from the OB due to the seating, but it's always worthwhile to cross shop if you are concerned about it.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
4,151 Posts
I don't remember anyone ever complaining about head room in the Outback anyway, but I remember talk here about the non-moonroof cars having a little more head room than with the moonroof,

1 - 17 of 17 Posts