Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I am new to the forum and new to the world of outbacks, have had a forester for 10 years and recently upgraded to a diesel outback.

I am looking to convert the basically useless, in Australia that is, fog light to a hid spotlight or halogen spotlight to get a bit more light out the front of the OB. I have seen led fog light conversion bolt in kits but no conversion to spotlights for the fog lights. we live in a semi rural area and drive in the country a bit.

If I can do this conversion I may get away without having to buy a nudge bar etc to mount other driving lights on.

Any feedback, links or ideas would be welcome.
Cheers,

·
Registered
MY17 Outback Diesel Premium
83 Posts
G'day Gman12

I did this with my 2000 Outback some time back. At the time MRT Performance in Sydney offered a fog to spotlight conversion kit for the WRX model at that time. They advertised that it fitted the Outback. They were wrong - it didn't as the mounts were different. They did make up custom mounts for me from my design at the time so it worked in the end. The kit consisted of a pair of Cibie Oscar SC modules with said custom mounts to fit the Outback. In the end it worked well, but it was a lot of mucking around in the end. When I upgraded to the 2004 Outback I kept the spots and put the fogs back into the 2000. But the fogs were a different size on the '04 and it was quicker and easier to fit a nudge bar and a pair of spots. I am considering upgrading again to a '17 - just waiting to see if the '18 diesel Outback is available in a manual.

Fitting spots into the fog mounts is potentially challenging. You need to find a spot or optic that fits the hole. The Oz fog lights are smaller than the US fogs and we have the chrome bezel around them instead. I am not sure whether the chrome bezel is easily removable so that you can fit a bigger diameter spot. In general terms, the bigger the spot light diameter, the longer the range of the light.

I have looked at Baja Designs (https://www.bajadesigns.com/Products/led-auxilary-lights.asp) as a possibility. You would need to get some aluminium angle or similar to make a set of custom mounts in this example - remove existing mount from Baja Design light, drill mounting hole into angle flange to pick up light mounting screw (you will need two angles per light - one for each side), drill two mounting holes in other flange to pick up Outback fog mounting holes ( I believe there are 4 screws / bolts that hold each fog in place), tidy up angles and anodise in color of your choice, rig up wiring with relay on fog light circuit so that you can use fog light switch to turn spots on and off and with additional relay to pick up whether high beam is on or not (to comply with ADR's).

So if you want a wide choice of spots in all sizes, it is easier to put a nudge bar on (google East Coast Bull Bars or Subaxtreme). If you want a neat looking installation, then do some research on what will fit into the fog light hole. It is likely that you will need to make a custom mount.

Keep us posted as to how you get on.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Bergfalke,

Thanks alot for all the info. Sounds like you have covered a lot of bases. Yes sounds like it may just be easier to get a nudge bar. Then anything can be bolted on to light up the road. ???

There is the chrome bezel but also another round section of plasric that looks like it pops out to leave a bigger hole. Will have to get the bumper off when the wife isnt looking! So may still be worth looking at. I was thinking of making a mount with adjustable screws, 1 for up down and 1 for left right sobthe 4 inch or so leds/hid that may fit in can be fully adjusted. Might take a little while.

On another note the cvt in the diesel is brilliant. Smooth and always in the right ratio. Havent had a chance to tow with it yet but i am sure it will go better than the old 2.5l petrol by far. The diesel is a grunty litle engine. Off road it is good have been in light mud and gravel and some rocks in the hills.

Cheers,

·
Registered
83 Posts
G'day Gman

The only concern that I would have is the size of the driving lights. The diesel now has the intake for the intercooler under the bonnet with the scoop above the radiator (it takes in air through the top of the grill and the center area is blocked immediately above the Subaru emblem)). It is possible that if you fit very large driving lights that you could reduce the airflow to the intercooler by blocking the air flow with the wake of the lights and reduce the engine performance a tad.

I am considering the nudge bar from East Coast Bullbars (ECB East Coast Bullbars- Bull bars, Nudge Bars, Alloy, Steel Winch Bars for 4x4 SUV) and a pair of Lightforce Venom LED spotlights. I thinks the ECB nudge bar sits slightly lower than others and the Lightforce Venoms are a 150 mm diameter light. Hopefully any impact on intercooler performance will be negligible. I like the torque of the diesel. It makes it very easy and frugal to tow a trailer with.

Keep us posted with the fog lights. I am very interested in the possibilities there and I can't dismantle the test drive car from the dealer....

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Limited, Ice Silver/Black
2,422 Posts
Would something like this be suitable, with pencil beams or an LED light bar?

https://www.auxbeam.com/85619581

I think the fogs might be a little low for driving lights anyway, and a hassle retrofitting.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have seen quite a few Outbacks with that style of number plate mount fitted. I do not particularly like them for country driving or on dirt roads. I find that the spot lights vibrate too much over the bumps and I find it really annoying.

When I had the '00 Outback I found the spots worked well enough down low and the lower position meant they worked quite well (possibly better) in poor weather. You are right though, they may well be a hassle to fit.

·
Registered
2016 Outback 3.6r Premium purchased new
19 Posts
New here: MY2016 Subaru Outback 3,6R owner only since Sept 2016. The nose piece is only clipped to the front internal panel work as in most modern car [other car, Hyundai I30 with similar mounted noise piece]. The number plate bracket does not connect to any steel work and will shake due to weight of light fittings. The East Coast nudge bar only requires vertical slit at each end of the lower air flow entry for the mounting brackets to come out for the mounting of the nudge bar. YES the nose piece has to come off to mount the ECB mounting brackets. As you can gather, I went the nudge bar route and glad I did.
I live in rural Qld and the lighting on most modern cars is rubbish for country night driving. I fitted two 4" 100W pencil beam HID lights and a small 9 LED bar between them. The LED bar provides instant fill light until the HIDs warm up and get to full brilliance

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have now bought a 2017.

I have come across this: https://www.rallyinnovations.com/co...subaru-outback-light-conversion-su-gsa-lcn-01
It uses the Baja Design LED lights, but it is for the larger American fog lights. The Baja Design Squadron R Pro (the R is for round) appear to be the right diameter for the Australian model Outback with the small fogs and the chrome bezel. It may be worth an enquiry.

I will be fitting an ECB nudge bar and Lightforce Venom spotlights

·
Registered
2015 2.0D, 2" SLO lift, TRLT bash plate, aux batt.
37 Posts
I also looked at putting a pair of 6" spotlights in place of the fog lights. Unfortunately when the chrome ring is removed the location lacks strength and reasonably complex brackets would be required to mount the spotlights, so I didn't proceed with that idea.

I did replace the foglights with an aftermarket LED replacement with glass lenses which gives slightly better performance. I also replaced the high beam globes with Narva LED ones, which are good but I found these inadequate for night driving.

Finally, I have installed a single row 26" LED lightbar in the lower grill as per attached pic.

Attachments

·
Registered
2018 3.6r
104 Posts
i've got the JDM LED foglights (full modules, not just bulbs part no: H4517FL011) on order atm, will try to get a before and after comparo when i install them. the chrome surrounds pop out really easily once you have the front bar off but it doesn't look like they allow a simple hole to mount a larger diameter housing/light.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Baja Designs lights are very good albeit expensive. I have a 20" ONX6 light bar fitted to my MY06 Outback along with a pair of Hella Rally Compact HID lights. The lighting is superb.
Geoff

1 - 12 of 12 Posts