Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of weeks ago, I placed the replacement front axle for my 2017 2.5 Outback in the shopping cart, at the website of one of the on-line Subaru dealers. The part number for my VIN number was 28321AL000 ($293++)

Today I completed the purchase, just to get an email from the dealership, indicating that the part number was no longer the right one, and instead the 28321AL010 was suggested ($331++). This part number was previously indicated for the H6 model.

I guess Subaru realized how bad the original NTN USA CV Joint was. To start with, the outer CV Joint is not available by itself, it comes with the axle, with or without the inner joint.

When I took the old outer CV Joint boot off, I found out that the CVJ comes lubricated with heavy oil and not grease, which has been the norm in every other CVJ that I dealt with in the past. I also found the oil to be loaded with metal shavings, explaining the loud and scary noises coming out of it. I also noticed that the CV Joint bell was not as deep as they used to be, allowing the ball bearings to get out of the bell groves when turning. In the older CV joints this would not happen, and the only way to make the ball bearings come out of the bell groves was by removing the axle from the joint.

This 2017 is my 3rd Subaru, and I got all of them brand new. The 2017 is by far the most unreliable of the three. I like the car, alot, but 4 NTN USA wheel bearings hubs failed, (one of them a genuine replacement to a failed original one), 1 front axle (NTN USA), and one broken rear trailing link (arm) is beyond the pale, for a car with no off-roading, not even a gravel road drive, and with 85K miles on the odometer. Shame on Subaru, and shame on me.

·
Registered
327 Posts
wow! did the trailing arm rust or ? Do you drive in an area with salted roads? No excuses anyway at only 85k.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wow! did the trailing arm rust or ? Do you drive in an area with salted roads? No excuses anyway at only 85k.
I am in south FL, so no need for salt on the roads. The trailing arm failed in 2020. What surprised me was that the dealer had the replacement part in stock, and replaced it for me within 30 minutes, no charge, and after 60K miles. For sure Subaru knows about this. At the time, the part listed for $40 and change. Now the part lists for $86.

In the first picture, you can see the beginning of a second crack on the upper edge of the broken trailing arm.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Dang! This could/ should be a recall. I will inspect my gen4 arms that i swapped out at 95k mi.

These blue ones are adjustable and use a rod end at the front for less deflection.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
12,757 Posts
In the first picture, you can see the beginning of a second crack on the upper edge of the broken trailing arm.
I've seen really rusted trailing arms but these arms look to be in great condition except for where they cracked apart seemingly from stress or fatigue. Wonder if anyone else has seen this failure mode?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Dang! This could/ should be a recall. I will inspect my gen4 arms that i swapped out at 95k mi.
View attachment 512592
These blue ones are adjustable and use a rod end at the front for less deflection.
Very nice setup you have there. Those trailing arms gotta be so much better than the original parts.

By the way, after I purchased the front axle a few days ago :mad:, I get an email from subarudirectwholesale offering 35% off, site wide. Maybe someone in here can take advantage of this offer.

·
Registered
327 Posts
seems like you have to play a game with purchases now days; buy a small item, wait for the coupon or promo code, then buy the big ticket items.
Inspected my 14 oem arms and they are fine, but that metal is thin.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
seems like you have to play a game with purchases now days; buy a small item, wait for the coupon or promo code, then buy the big ticket items.
Inspected my 14 oem arms and they are fine, but that metal is thin.
View attachment 512667
That thin metal keeps the rear tires in position against the momentum of the car, when the parking brake is used to stop the moving car.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts