Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.51 Limited/HDF
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2017 is going into service for the second headlight adjustment. they are not projecting far enough at night, and there is an annoying black line right in the middle of my vision. Is this an issue with any other 2017 2.51 Limited. Or did I get a lemon.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, the HID illumination is about 1/2 of my LED vehicle. I am getting severe eyestrain driving at night, as the black line demarcation is driving me crazy. When buying the Outback,I was told that the HID wonderful for night driving. Bull pebbles. this is not acceptable to me, and is causing the start of night driving migraines. There has to be others out there who are having this issue. I am going to look into the Lemon Laws if this continue, I am not a happy Outback owner right now. With the Outbacks previous class action with headlamps burning out, you would think they would put LEDs on all the Outbacks. I am wondering if the 2018's are all LED, and they are doing away with the HIDs. Does any one know.

·
Premium Member
2015 Legacy 3.6R ES, 2014 Forester Touring ES, 2005 Jeep Liberty Limited
3,243 Posts
Nope

Laughing at Oneself and with Others is Good for the Soul

·
Registered
2017 OB 2.5 Lim/ 2005 STI 400 WHP
277 Posts
HID's have a distinct cut-off point as to not blind oncoming traffic.
Additionally, the left beam is typically slightly lower than the right.

Is this what you mean?
This is what mine look like I love them

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Eyes are fine, just the dang HID black cutoff, may be because I have excellent distance eyesight,maybe too good for the HID illumination short distance.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Limited, Ice Silver/Black
2,452 Posts
Just raise them a little yourself. But don't go crazy. If you get flashed more than about once a week (with lots of night driving), you've gone too far.

Attachments

·
Banned
6,264 Posts
I am going to look into the Lemon Laws if this continue, I am not a happy Outback owner right now. With the Outbacks previous class action with headlamps burning out, you would think they would put LEDs on all the Outbacks. I am wondering if the 2018's are all LED, and they are doing away with the HIDs. Does any one know.
You headlights are functioning as designed.....how is this a lemon law issue?

Reactions: Yoda_One

·
Premium Member
2015 Legacy 3.6R ES, 2014 Forester Touring ES, 2005 Jeep Liberty Limited
3,243 Posts
Because I am mad and I expect my HID be LEDs. Why in the heck can they get away with this since it says on the Specifications it is HIDs and I am going scream, shout then force the Lemon Law because I am entitled. :spin: Can you imagine getting into a vehicle with plain old headlight G_d forbid You would go blind.
You should have just bought a vehicle with LEDs.

All I know my HIDs has kept be hitting a few deers and one bear.

·
Super Moderator
2016 3.6 Limited with ES
2,954 Posts
Yes, the HID illumination is about 1/2 of my LED vehicle. I am getting severe eyestrain driving at night, as the black line demarcation is driving me crazy. When buying the Outback,I was told that the HID wonderful for night driving. Bull pebbles. this is not acceptable to me, and is causing the start of night driving migraines. There has to be others out there who are having this issue. I am going to look into the Lemon Laws if this continue, I am not a happy Outback owner right now. With the Outbacks previous class action with headlamps burning out, you would think they would put LEDs on all the Outbacks. I am wondering if the 2018's are all LED, and they are doing away with the HIDs. Does any one know.
There must be some sort of He\_\_ living inside your head.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Limited, Ice Silver/Black
2,452 Posts
I can relate to what @nhweaver is saying. My old Infiniti was recalled because both the HIDs and LED taillights were too bright. All replaced, but the HID's cut off appeared to be pointing at the ground about 20 feet out, far closer than the units that were replaced. This could be the case here. I tipped them up a bit, and they were fine for the next decade. I would doubt that the HIDs are even aligned at installation at the factory. They just bolt them on with whatever OOB settings they are manufactured with. Reference all the wonky fog light alignment posts.

·
Registered
Fresh Out of Outbacks!
14,494 Posts
Hot-spotting can be a problem. If the headlights put too much light down close to the car, your eye will try to adapt to that much light. Once that happens, you can't see anything other than the bright spot in front of you. You lose distance & edge vision.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Yes, the HID illumination is about 1/2 of my LED vehicle. I am getting severe eyestrain driving at night, as the black line demarcation is driving me crazy. When buying the Outback,I was told that the HID wonderful for night driving.
The Outback is the first car I've had with HID's. I'm not that impressed with them. They do a terrific job of lighting up the area right in front of the car, but if you drive in a rural area without much ambient light and you start to pick up speed, seeing down the road becomes a lot more important. The problem is especially pronounced in hilly areas. When going down a 10% grade that cutoff becomes uncomfortably close to the car. My solution is to just use the brights a lot. My Yukon had a good set of halogens and I actually preferred those, especially for night driving. I rarely used the brights in that truck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
90% of my night driving is on rural twisty roads, with deer and other animals running around, there is some traffic, I am getting them adjusted again on Monday. Seems that something may be an issue with HID on the 2017, the 2018 Limited has LED lights. Thanks for acknowledging that my issue is not in my head (only my eyes).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hot-spotting can be a problem. If the headlights put too much light down close to the car, your eye will try to adapt to that much light. Once that happens, you can't see anything other than the bright spot in front of you. You lose distance & edge vision.
:nerd: Thanks for giving a name to my eyesight issue with the 2017 Outback Limited.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts