Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2017 OB 2.5i Limited / Black on Black
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if anyone else experiences this problem. Whenever we fill the gas tank in our 2017 OB 2.5i Limited, the gas overflows before the pump's automatic shutoff occurs and a small amount of gas runs down the side of the car below the tank. It doesn't matter what gas station or what pump we use, there is always a small amount of gas that overflows. The pump does automatically shut off, but it's a bit late which causes the problem.

Is this a common thing or is it just my OB? Would this be a warranty issue?

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5i Limited, EyeSight & Nav.
565 Posts
Never had this happen before, but I will warn others, if you try to squeeze every last drop and fill that tank to the top you may be met with your dashboard lighting up and having to spend some money at the dealership getting them to reset some stuff. Does it have to do with the EVAP stuff? I have no clue, but it's happened to me.

·
Registered
2018 3.6R Limited
6 Posts
The automatic shutoff is triggered when the gasoline reaches a sensor tube on the nozzle (which changes the venturi pressure and triggers a mechanical stop). If you've ruled out a particular malfunctioning pump ("It doesn't matter what gas station or what pump we use"), it may be that the nozzle is not being inserted far enough (i.e., by the time the gasoline reaches the sensor tube, it's already at an overflowing level.) You use the plural "we," so, assuming this is not just one person too timid with insertion depth, you might want to explore whether something on the car is preventing the nozzle from entering as far as it should--a misalignment, protrusion, etc.

·
Registered
'15 Outback 2.5i Premium
2,500 Posts
That happened to me twice in 2016 at different places, but in both those cases the pump didn't shut off at all until manually stopped. The other 102 (wow!) fill-ups have been uneventful. It had been decades and probably thousands of fills since the last time that had happened.

Your post made me wonder if there's something about the filler neck that was behind the mishaps, but your problem sounds different, and my experience was probably just coincidence. After two incidents, I do watch for it more carefully now, though.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Limited, Ice Silver/Black
2,116 Posts
Might not matter, but I always use the slow fill notch on the nozzle and don't have the problem.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Dubs, I've been having the same problem since I purchased the car, I have a 2017 Outback. Wherever I fill it up from empty to full, the pump stops and it then overflows. I've tried different gas stations with the same outcome. I do NOT top off my gas and I get fill up every week for the past 52 week. Today, I went to the dealership to go over this problem, they could not replicate the problem and they checked the EVAP system, no problems. But they opened a trouble ticket with Subaru. I'm going to video my experience at the gas pump the next time I fill up.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Dubs, I've been having the same problem since I purchased the car, I have a 2017 Outback. Wherever I fill it up from empty to full, the pump stops and it then overflows. I've tried different gas stations with the same outcome. I do NOT top off my gas and I get fill up every week for the past 52 week. Today, I went to the dealership to go over this problem, they could not replicate the problem and they checked the EVAP system, no problems. But they opened a trouble ticket with Subaru. I'm going to video my experience at the gas pump the next time I fill up.
Do you run the pump on fast fill? I got away from doing that on my other cars, not because of overflowing but because the pump would just want to shut itself off anyway (possibly because of an anti-siphon device?). Habit now. Ignore as needed.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5i Limited
1,108 Posts
Do you guys with the overfill issue live in states where they have the evaporative covers over the fuel nozzle? I wonder if this is the issue?

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Outback, 2002 Audi S4 Avant, 1980 CB750F Supersport, 1985 Carrera 3.2
568 Posts
Do you guys with the overfill issue live in states where they have the evaporative covers over the fuel nozzle? I wonder if this is the issue?
This is what I'm thinking, too - I went to a gas station that had new pumps installed with these covers and the spout wouldn't go down the tube as far. So it felt like the handle was almost falling out of the fill-tube and subsequently was angling at the wall of the fill-tube, splashing against the wall and causing it to auto-shutoff several times during my fill (I could hear it gurgle up a bit as it stopped). I eventually had to hold it manually because it would keep stopping automatically and I was afraid it was going to fall out. If I kept it angled like that when filling then I'm sure it would have spilled out when finished because it was so close to the cap at that point.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
I'm not sure what you mean by "run the pump on fast fill"?
Normally the handle has 2 or 3 positions where you can lock the handle so you don't have to hold it open the whole time.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5i Limited
1,108 Posts
It would be interesting to see if any Oregon or New Jersey members report this issue, especially considering there are no self-service gas stations in those 2 states.

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Limited, 2013 Tesla Model S 85
1,059 Posts
Might not matter, but I always use the slow fill notch on the nozzle and don't have the problem.
Me too. Got started doing that when I had a diesel. ULSD foams much worse than gasoline so going slow gave the foam time to condense back to liquid. Still, the foam was enough to shut off the nozzle.

These days most gasoline purchases are for my Yamaha FJR. It has an insert in th3 tank like a cup that makes it hard to fill the last inch or two, mandating an air space at 5he top. This is great because it aids in filling to exactly the same level Avery time. And is my first motorcycle since 1975 (and not even then) for which the autocutoff could be used. Not even my Goldwing.

·
Premium Member
2015 Legacy 3.6R ES, 2014 Forester Touring ES, 2005 Jeep Liberty Limited
3,239 Posts
In the State of New York, those devices that prop the handle in the open position are not allowed.
Naturally it's NY!

Laughing at Oneself and with Others is Good for the Soul

·
Registered
2015 Outback LTD 2.5
1,046 Posts
FWIW, I NEVER have had this happen to my 2015 AND always use the "fast" fill position on the nozzle.......no matter where we've filled up, the pump always clicks off without any overfill and leakage.....also never had this happen when I only want (meaning only needing to add several gallons) to top off before a long drive....

I DO always insert the nozzle completely as part of my normal fillip process........maybe that helps avoid the overfill....

Steve

·
Registered
2015 Outback LTD 2.5
1,046 Posts
One of many reasons why I enjoy no longer being in NJ.........BUT, the tradeoff is no more shad roe in the Spring! Some of the required pump jockeys in NJ are careless when they wave the nozzle around.......I used to hop out of the car when we lived there and watch the nozzle being inserted and removed. Several times, the attendant became far more "controlled" as soon as he saw me standing there.....

Steve

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Limited, 2013 Tesla Model S 85
1,059 Posts
In the State of New York, those devices that prop the handle in the open position are not allowed.
NY government is run by idiots. Gas caps, credit cards, any number of things do a fine job holding the nozzle open. Outlaw the latch and all you do is encourage even more risky behavior.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts