Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
'06 Outback, 2.5l with sport-shift
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I have a 2017 2.5 Limited OB. I usually carry Yakima Highroller bike rack on my roof, but my Yakima universal holders make a ton of noise when driving down the road. I found that the opening under the bike rack and between the universal holders is what causes the road noise.

My question is this, does anyone have any experience with the E361SAJ801, Subaru Mounting Clamps, indicated for 2015-2018 vehicles? Basically, do they work with the aerobars?

Subaru Outback Mounting Clamps - Bike / Kayak (Part No: E361SAJ801)

If they work and are tight fits, then I may get a set to see if the cause the road noise. Any help is appreciated. Thanks much!

Kevin

·
Registered
2017 OB 2.5 Lim/ 2005 STI 400 WHP
277 Posts
I have those. First off they do not come with any bolts. There is nothing with them at all. I did find a way to use them to attach them to a bike trey. They are surprisingly strong snug and sturdy fit.

That being said, I never actually used them past the test fit phase. I ended up going with a hitch mount rack, a way better option for my life.

I have had several wagons over the years, 2000 OB, 1990s legacy, 1990s toyta camery wagon, 2003 jetta tdi wagon. They all had one thing in common that my 17 OB doesnt have, a low roof. The roof rack on those cars was easy to get a bike on. The 2017 OB IS SO MUCH TALLER that at 5'9" I can not get a bike on top with out a step stool. maybe if I had a fork mount.

·
Registered
'06 Outback, 2.5l with sport-shift
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK, thanks for the help and the knowledge that they do indeed fit. I ordered some from my local dealer, same price as online, but no shipping!

I do agree that the newer OB's are too tall, and that's why I also have a trailer hitch. We are going on a longer vacation and will be pulling a pop-up camper and will have bikes on top of the car, so it's basically the only real option for us.

I'm a little irritated that they don't come with bolts, but can get some at my local hardware store. I think it'll be a bit sturdier and will hold easier than the Yakima universal mighty mounts that are currently up there. I'll try to remember to update when I get them in a few days and am able to put them up.

Kevin

1 - 3 of 3 Posts