Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My OB premium 2.5 has the type B dual climate control. Full Auto seems to be the preferred setting but the fan really blasts full on especially if the cabin is hot after sitting in the sun. Lowering the fan speed causes the system to revert to Auto. What the manual fails to explain is what, if anything, is being controlled "automatically"? Ideally I would like to have the Full Auto temperature control allow for fan speed control but in lieu of that, I guess I can go manual (with a less annoying fan speed) until the cabin cools down and then let the Full Auto take over.

·
Premium Member
2015 Legacy 3.6R ES, 2014 Forester Touring ES, 2005 Jeep Liberty Limited
3,246 Posts
If you understand the manual's explanation Auto is Auto. Just let it handle it or do it manually that is your choice.

:welcome:
Fill out your Profile and have Fun!

Laughing at Oneself and with Others is Good for the Soul

·
Premium Member
3,246 Posts
So what's the difference between Auto and Full Auto?
Full Auto (Auto Button) start high, it cools the cabin then the fan decrease once it get to the designated temperature. Once you manually alter it then you changed it to manual A/C and no longer in Auto mode.

·
Premium Member
3,246 Posts
You are confusing Auto where the compressor forces cool air( let call it engage just for ease of understanding) to temperature set then ?disengaged? the compressor without temporary lower temperature and increasing fan speed.(Auto) Auto Button is just automatically is in control a lot like a home Auto heat pump.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So when it drops out of Full Auto the display should really show "Manual" (or nothing) instead of displaying "Auto". Misleading but pretty much what I was thinking.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just read your last. I'll have to see if the temperature control really affects anything in Auto. My initial impression was that it didn't.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just confirmed that the temp setting does work fine in Auto. Maybe the only difference is the fan automation.

Thanks

·
Registered
2017 2.5 Touring
1,412 Posts
Just confirmed that the temp setting does work fine in Auto. Maybe the only difference is the fan automation.

Thanks
Full Auto controls everything: Where the air comes from, where it is directed, fan speed, defrost, as well as temp.

·
Registered
2016 Outback 2.5i Premium
302 Posts
My OB premium 2.5 has the type B dual climate control. Full Auto seems to be the preferred setting but the fan really blasts full on especially if the cabin is hot after sitting in the sun. Lowering the fan speed causes the system to revert to Auto. What the manual fails to explain is what, if anything, is being controlled "automatically"? Ideally I would like to have the Full Auto temperature control allow for fan speed control but in lieu of that, I guess I can go manual (with a less annoying fan speed) until the cabin cools down and then let the Full Auto take over.
FULL AUTO means the system controls everything. If you make a manual adjustment then it will revert to plain AUTO. When it's in AUTO, it's still controlling everything except the setting(s) that you manually adjusted.
@ammcinnis clarified this for me a while ago. I'm in Florida and prefer to have recirculation always on. I set my AC to FULL AUTO and enable recirculation manually, which puts it in AUTO. Now my Outback manages fan zones, speeds, etc. but doesn't manage recirculation.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's perfect and just how I'd design it. Too bad the manual doesn't clarify the difference.

Thanks for the explanation!

Marty

·
Premium Member
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,663 Posts
FULL AUTO means the system controls everything ... When it's in AUTO, it's still controlling everything except the setting(s) that you manually adjusted.
You said it better than I.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts