Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'2017 Subaru outback 4 cylinder with navigation. First oil change was done by dealer and now I am doing my own. From other posts on this topic the i/o buttons on the steering column should bring up a "maintenance" section that I could select and enter the mileage at the time of the oil change. I do not have that menu option with my 2017. Can this be only done at the dealer now?? I doubt it. please help. Sorry for the newb question but hey, everybody should get at least one : )

·
Premium Member
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,722 Posts
... the i/o buttons on the steering column should bring up a "maintenance" section that I could select and enter the mileage at the time of the oil change.
The menu you're looking for is found in the entertainment system head unit, not via the steering column switches. Select Info->Maintenance, or see the 2018 Legacy/Outback Entertainment Systems Manual, pages 40 and 196-197.

Reactions: Shortsonfire79

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
AHH the dang "info" button! Thank you so much! We purchased this car for my wife so that I could have my precious 96 outback all to myself as my winter driver, no such convoluted mass menu system to navigate on that heathen!
Wife has to leave on an unexpected road trip and I wanted everything to be in order for her, searched for several hours with no luck till I came here.
Again, our sincere appreciation.
David

·
Registered
187 Posts
Will this maintenance section actually notify me when I reach certain mileage targets or is it just for keeping track? If it just keeps track then I'd rather write it down. less chance of getting lost with a factory reset or something.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It will notify you. You can enter miles, date or both till notification. So I entered 6k miles and a date about 8 months out. I haven't had time to dig around to see where that info is saved so I am keeping a written log as well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
in my case yes, my first oil and filter was done at 3K free at the dealership. When I finally found the menu for the reset thanks to this forum it was set to remind me at 6k miles after the first service.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Premium 2.5i CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
132 Posts
You will actually get a pop-up on the infotainment screen. In my case, the dealer has forgot to reset this twice now.

Nice feature of the setting though is you can program your dealer into the settings and you can call them from the reminder.

·
Registered
3 Posts
You will actually get a pop-up on the infotainment screen. In my case, the dealer has forgot to reset this twice now.

Nice feature of the setting though is you can program your dealer into the settings and you can call them from the reminder.
Great to see another happy amateur radio operator cruising around in a Subaru.

73's
w3msb

·
Registered
2017 3.6R Limited with Eye Sight
783 Posts
I miss the feature in my Acura TL where it all worked magically (the reset had to be done manually). It would tell me when I had 15%, 10% and 5% oil life left. It took into account both driving conditions and mileage.

·
Registered
152 Posts
John, my old Ford Fusion did that as well. I'm actually surprised the Subaru doesn't do that also.
My Chrysler does it too, and with a nice big display of remaining oil life percentage. My Ford Focus also had it, but they made it more difficult to extract the miles until next service. Mercedes introduced this beginning with the 1998 model year. So also surprised that Subaru is still using fixed time & distance service intervals and a manually programmable reminder. Quirky!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.