Subaru Outback Forums banner

2017 or 2018 outback purchase which one do I buy

9K views 28 replies 20 participants last post by  irvine tim 
#1 ·
I am debating between buying/leasing the 17 or 18 outback limited. The 2018 limited outback radio sounds considerably lower in quality compared to the 2017 outback limited. It is actually swaying me towards buying the 2017. The glossy black on the steering wheel in the 2018 will show dust really bad. I do think the 2018 interior is quieter than the 2017 though. I have to go with the 6 cylinder though, soo much more power than the 4cylinder, and only sacrificing 6mpg. I don't like the roof line on the touring, so going with the limited. Did I miss anything else? Persuade me, which one to buy....

#11 ·
First, the 2018 drives remarkably better than the 2015. Not sure if they updated the steering feedback or suspension on the '17, but the 2018 is so much more refined than the 2015 Gen 5 model.

I just upgraded from a 2015 Outback premium to a 2018 Outback Limited. In my former 2015 OB Premium, I installed a JL AUdio HD 900/5 Amp, Focal KRX2 Component speakers up frnt and had a custom Sub enclose built that drops into the spare tire area ..without losing the spare! Also had an Audison Bit One DSP/EQ.

Yes my system kicked ass, but I paid a lot of money for the gear and had it professionally installed. I have now upgraded to the 2018 Outback Limited and I am just not inclined to mess with all that anymore. So I am selling all my top shelf gear.

Does the 2018 HK system rival what I had? Nope. But it sounds good enough for what I've come to realize is 'just fine' for me.

If anyone with 2015-2017 is interested in my High end gear, its all ready to 'drop in'. The sub however is quite heavy and would pricey to shop. (JL Audio TL10W3 Sub in custom carpeted enclosure)

#3 ·
Adjusted the EQ to same setting on both cars, tuned to same station, listened to same multiple songs, parked cars next to each other, jumped back and forth between both cars to determine sound quality. Hands down, the 2017 wins! Wish it was not so, but it is. 17 had deeper base and clearer sound.

#4 ·
That makes little sense. I haven't seen any indication that the sound systems changed to that extent between 2017 and 2018. BUT ... the 2018 does have a new head unit (does it not?) for Android Auto/Carplay compatibility (which the 2017 does not have).

If that's true then the "same settings" on both units would not necessarily be the same. If you want to compare them, then you (probably) need to set up each one to sound the best you can make it sound, then compare.

It's also at least possible that the 2018 you listened to had something wrong with it - subwoofer disconnected, electronic glitch, etc.

#5 ·
I just went through this debate and now have a 2018 on order. I thought the cabin was definitely quieter. I like the new exterior changes including the LED headlights and the extra stitching in the interior. We recently updated our Ford Mustang with Android Auto and love it over the on board navigation. Also, I really like the new Deep Pearl Blue color. For me it was not just one thing, but the sum of all the changes that pushed me over to the 2018.

#6 ·
If you like the 18 better on your test drive for everything but the radio, how about getting the 18 and upgrading the sound system. There are several threads on this forum about how (some less expensive in both $$ and time, some more) to improve the stock OB system. One that I found interesting included building a sub enclosure in the spare tire well while keeping the spare (donut) tire.

#7 ·
I purchased a 2018 last weekend. I had also looked at some 2017 but felt the upgrades to the interior, including the dash and the look of the front grill persuaded me to go with a 2018. I could not be happier. Go for the 2018 and in another year, it will still be a year old, not two years old.

#9 ·
Go for the 2018 and in another year, it will still be a year old, not two years old.

I also purchased a 2018 just a few days ago. We test drove a 2017 which they would sell to us for the invoice price. They wouldn't deal as much on the 2018. Went to another dealer and got the same model and features but in a 2018 for the same out the door price as the 2017.

The car is the newest model and won't be two years old this time next year which is huge for resale value if we need to get out of it. Unless he can get the 2017 for a few thousand below invoice no way I would buy it over a 2018.

#8 ·
Since the '18 has a quieter cabin, probably through more sound deadening, I would expect the same settings on the radio to sound differently between the '17 and '18.

Nothing to agonize over. Buy the '18.

#12 ·
We went with the 2018. Found that the pricing difference was 1500-1800 OTD vs 2017. Decided on a 2018 limited vs 2017 touring.

- Infotainment update is big and will keep the user experience up to date for much longer than 2017s
- AC upgrade is important here in Texas
- Adaptive headlights are an underrated safety feature
- Ride is noticeably quieter and smoother

Decided these features were worth 1500 vs the upgrades from limited to touring in the 2017.

#15 ·
If you want to save a few dollars a month with 0% financing get the 2017.

But hands down the 2018 is a better vehicle. More sound deadening material, updated windshield, updates door seals, thicker glass all around, nicer interior, updated CVT mapping, and having a year newer vehicle. And I'm sure there are more updates then pointed out.
This is why Subaru dealers nationwide have so many 2017 modes left on the lot. Because people want the new model and are willing to wait even if they have to order a 2018 Outback.

#18 ·
I bought a 2017 last week. I wanted to take advantage of a lower OTD price and 0% financing for 63 months. I also like the 2017 grille and limited wheels a little bit better. Sounds like you're leaning towards the 2017. You can try flipping a coin and pay attention to what you're hoping for when the coin is in the air. That's what I did for picking a color. I couldn't decide between Lapis Blue and Wilderness Green. Every time I imagined flipping a coin I would lean towards the green. Good luck OP!

#23 ·
You can try flipping a coin and pay attention to what you're hoping for when the coin is in the air. That's what I did for picking a color. I couldn't decide between Lapis Blue and Wilderness Green. Every time I imagined flipping a coin I would lean towards the green. Good luck OP!
I flipped my wife, she chose Lapis Blue. It is beautiful, as is she.

#21 ·
I'll be test driving a 2018 Touring OB tomorrow. This will be my first Subaru. Currently I'm driving a 1997 Honda CRV which has been great but its time. Also will be test driving a Toyota 4Runner but I'm leaning towards the OB. The 0% finance rate would be a nice perk.

#29 ·
Quite happy with my limited 17 3.6. Stereo is doing fine. Gas mileage combined, with my calculations, not the on board computer, 22-23 mpg city/highway. Definitely enjoy having the extra power from the 3.6 coming out of a 2016 M4. Thinking about plastic dipping the wheels.... I leased so I don't want to powder coat.

Any difference between the regular plastic dip and the plastic dip kit for wheels?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.