Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning. I am new to this website and needing feedback on my 2017 Outback. Before I decided on purchasing one, I did my due diligence by checking reviews and such, which all turned positive. However, now that I have the Outback it seems issues have been coming up one after another. First, my Sirius XM failed after about a year. After checking online reviews and writing to Subaru, I brought the car to the dealership and they replaced the audio/radio component - of course it took awhile for the Subaru dealership to acknowledge the issue and eventually replaced it. Second, there was an oil leak that I did not even know it had. The Subaru dealership "fixed" the problem - however, after a month of getting the oil leak was "fixed", the oil light came on that it was low on oil. I figured maybe the dealership did not put enough oil and I put more in. A month later, the light came on again and I put more oil in. A month after that, same thing. I finally brought the car back to Subaru dealership and they tested it for oil consumption, which ended up failing. So now the short block on my Outback is getting replaced. I brought my car to the Subaru Dealership on 8/24/20, and as of today, 9/15/20, is still in the dealership. The Subaru dealership has been very vague about providing me updates. They kept telling me that some parts are in order and they are waiting for it. As much as I love my 2017 Outback I am considering dumping it after this experience.

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
5,942 Posts
If this is all being done under factory warranty, I'd stick with it. You'll most likely end up with a good engine and vehicle that will last a long time.

And no offense, but if your oil level check process only involves waiting for the low oil light and than adding it, you're headed for another engine failure at some point. High mileage engines can sometimes use a little oil between changes, and it requires monitoring. If you wait until the low oil light comes on, it's too late - damage is already done.

And welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
Outback 2011 3.6R Premium
1,438 Posts
If you wait until the low oil light comes on, it's too late - damage is already done.
I am doubtful this statement is true.

The first oil warning light that illuminates in a 2017 Outback is a “low oil level“ light which is yellow (I acknowledge the OP has not advised which light was on or what colour the light is)

The low oil level light comes on when the engine needs 1 quart of oil. At this point there should be no damage to the vehicle.

If you continue to drive the vehicle with a “low oil pressure“ light (this light is red) then engine damage should be expected.

Seagrass

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
5,942 Posts
Perhaps I've overstated it for this particular year of Outback, given it has the two-threshold system of alarm as you've stated it.

But if you make a habit of always doing the oil checks this way in every vehicle owned, it's going to end badly at some point.

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
Perhaps I've overstated it for this particular year of Outback, given it has the two-threshold system of alarm as you've stated it.

But if you make a habit of always doing the oil checks this way in every vehicle owned, it's going to end badly at some point.
I agree with you and think it a good idea to pop the hood on regular basis. However automakers seem to be going in a different direction. Over the last few years we are seeing cars being produced that have no dipsticks and are relying solely on a low oil light sensors to let you know when it is time to add oil.

Since vast majority of owners never check under the hood, maybe not a bad idea.

Reactions: johnre

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
4,151 Posts
As much as I love my 2017 Outback I am considering dumping it after this experience.
You love the car and Subaru has stepped up to the plate to fix the issues. Maybe dumping it for a car from another manufacturer that might not be so responsive isn't the best option here.

Just sayin'

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for the comments. It was very unusual for my Outback to consume that much oil in about a month after the oil leak was replaced/fixed. I have not been driving that much due to COVID.

Last Wednesday, 9/16, I picked up my car from the dealership after being there for almost 3 weeks. Tonight, 9/21, I drove to the park for my walk. Afterwards I jumped in the car and turned the engine to drive home and a huge plume of white smoke emitted from the exhaust. I will be bringing my Outback back to dealership and start thinking about replacing this car. It certainly feels like I got a lemon and it certainly has been a frustrating experience.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts