Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2017 Outback 2.5 having a problem of it will crank but won't start. Pulled the codes and had P0335 Crankshaft Position Sensor A Circuit. I looked at the sensor and could see one of the wires going into the sensor plug was broken. I had to remove the throttle body to get to the wire to repair it, which I did without issue. I had to disconnect the fuel line going to the throttle body and the fuel lines going from the throttle body to the injector rack, as well as various electrical connectors and other hoses. I got everything put back together and triple checked that all fuel lines, electrical connectors, etc. were reconnected. I cleared the P0335 code and tried to start it. It cranked over and stumbled several times, but wouldn't start. I tried turning the ignition on (push button) and letting it sit for a bit, then starting, but still the same problem. I checked for codes again, but there are none. I disconnected the fuel line going to the throttle body and there was fuel under pressure there. I tried turning the ignition on several times, to try and prime the throttle body, fuel injectors, etc., but it still only cranks and stumbles like it's not getting enough fuel.

Any thoughts on what I am missing?

Thanks!

·
Registered
20 Outback Premium; former 19 Outback Premium, 85 GL Wagon, 87 GL-10 Wagon
2,608 Posts
Seems awfully new to be having this issue. Wouldn’t the powertrain warranty cover this?

·
Registered
2018 Outback Premium 2.5i
189 Posts
Did you see this thread?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did you see this thread?
Yes, I saw that. I’ve resolved the P0335 problem and the code is gone, but it still won’t start.

·
Super Moderator
Outback 2011 3.6R Premium
2,857 Posts
At a guess you have a fuel line connected in the wrong place OR your repair on the crankshaft position sensor has not fixed the problem.

Did you happen to test the crankshaft position sensor with a digital multimeter?

Seagrass

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
At a guess you have a fuel line connected in the wrong place OR your repair on the crankshaft position sensor has not fixed the problem.

Did you happen to test the crankshaft position sensor with a digital multimeter?

Seagrass
I went back through and took everything apart and carefully checked everything as I put it back together again, with the same result. I did test the sensor with my Fluke multimeter and it shows 1.8k ohms, so I think it's good. Unless I can figure something else out, off to the dealer it goes tomorrow.

·
Super Moderator
2,857 Posts
@plain OM do you have a reference for how to test a crank position sensor on a 2017 2.5 Outback?

Seagrass

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Problem solved!

In order to fix the broken wire, I had to pull the pins from the connector shell. Apparently I had a moment of dyslexia and put the pins back into the connector shell backward. Once I fixed that, it would start for a few seconds then die. I disconnected the battery for 10 minutes, then turned the ignition on without starting. I waited 20 seconds, then it fired right up.

I appreciate the suggestions provided for what turned out to be a very unusual/unique circumstance.

·
Super Moderator
2,857 Posts
Thanks for the update, good to hear you got it fixed.

Seagrass

·
Registered
2018 Outback Premium 2.5i
189 Posts
Problem solved!

In order to fix the broken wire, I had to pull the pins from the connector shell. Apparently I had a moment of dyslexia and put the pins back into the connector shell backward. Once I fixed that, it would start for a few seconds then die. I disconnected the battery for 10 minutes, then turned the ignition on without starting. I waited 20 seconds, then it fired right up.

I appreciate the suggestions provided for what turned out to be a very unusual/unique circumstance.
Been there done that too many times (well maybe not exactly that 😜). Doesn’t it feel good when it’s done and working and no dealer! Congrats!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts