Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2017 outback 2.5i
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to get a stock rim and full size tire for a spare so I don't have to use the "donut" . spare

can anyone give me some advise?

thanks

Phil

·
Premium Member
2016 OB Premium
95 Posts
there are numerous discussion on this site. The space for the donut spare is not large enough for a regular rim and same size tire as on the car. I order a regular steel rim and plan to put a regular but smaller size tire on it. I plan on putting a tire ie regular that is the same dimensions of the donut spare. My thought is I would not be limited to the speed and distance limitation of a donut spare and I would have more options on replacing the flat tire. Not sure if it will work but thats my plan. One other option, which I have heard people discuss, it to put a normal size rim and tire but have the tire deflated and then pump it up when needed. Not sure is this will work.

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Limited, VF37, STI intake, 5MT
1,553 Posts
there are numerous discussion on this site. The space for the donut spare is not large enough for a regular rim and same size tire as on the car. I order a regular steel rim and plan to put a regular but smaller size tire on it. I plan on putting a tire ie regular that is the same dimensions of the donut spare. My thought is I would not be limited to the speed and distance limitation of a donut spare and I would have more options on replacing the flat tire. Not sure if it will work but thats my plan. One other option, which I have heard people discuss, it to put a normal size rim and tire but have the tire deflated and then pump it up when needed. Not sure is this will work.
I would be careful using that technique. The overall diameter of the doughnut spare is designed to be the same overall diameter as the factory tire (at not intended for long-term use). Running a tire/wheel combo even 3/16ths different in overall diameter is enough to upset the AWD system. Even tires of the same "size" can have diameters different enough to upset the system.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts