Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The stock drain plug that came with my Outback is tapered with the edges of the six sides head filed off. This means only about 1mm of the socket grabs the head. Does anyone know the size of the boot and thread pitch? My dealer just says 16x17 which is meaningless. I want/need to buy an aftermarket drain plug that is actually usable. Thanks!

·
Registered
282 Posts
There is nothing atypical about the factory drain plug. I believe it uses a 14 mm socket. FYI - my other Subaru (cars) use a 17 mm socket on the drain plugs.

·
Banned
2017 Outback
179 Posts
you need to replace the one drain plug in the 2.5 with the one from the 3.6, it is of much higher performance, as any 3.6 owner will tell you

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
you need to replace the one drain plug in the 2.5 with the one from the 3.6, it is of much higher performance, as any 3.6 owner will tell you
The 3.6l plug is a different size. According to Subaru the later model cars have a different size (diameter and pitch) than the earlier ones. That is why none of the aftermarket part dealers list a drain plug for them.
My goal is to have one that fits next time I change the oil instead of having a handful of them and hoping for the best.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5 Limited
143 Posts
even if I was looking for one of those their site does not list one for the 2017 outback.
Lol really? Because my link brings you right to the 2017 Outback page and I bought one for my 2017 Outback so I think you are mistaken.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Lol really? Because my link brings you right to the 2017 Outback page and I bought one for my 2017 Outback so I think you are mistaken.
According to my phone call to the company they only sell the 3.6l and it won't fit on the 2.5l. Plus, I am not looking fo rthat. I am looking for the specs on the 2017 2.5l outback drain plug.

·
Registered
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,110 Posts
even if I was looking for one of those their site does not list one for the 2017 outback.
Reading comprehension time!

According to my phone call to the company they only sell the 3.6l and it won't fit on the 2.5l.
That will no doubt be news to the thousands of 2.5-engined, MY 2015-2018 Legacy and Outback owners (including me) who are currently using one of the F-108x family of valves.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Reading comprehension time!

That will no doubt be news to the thousands of 2.5-engined, MY 2015-2018 Legacy and Outback owners (including me) who are currently using one of the F-108x family of valves.
Yes, reading comprehension time. Read the reviews on the part you linked with the manufacturer's response. Subaru changes the drain plug sizes all the time and the mfr says it probably will not fit the 2017 subaru outback 2.5l. Plus, if you bother to read the reviews, check out the negatives. Almost everyone who bought it for a subaru it did not fit right and dripped - Either because it was off sized or defective.

FYI: There are many courses to improve your reading comprehension. And as much as you want to believe something that isn't true it doesn't make it work if the facts by the manufacturers, etc., say it doesn't fit. If you do have one of these on your subaru you should probably change it out for a real drain plug. I will post the specs when I get them. Subarus could have a 16x1.5, or a 20x1.5 or even a 1/2 inch drain plug. That is why Subaru asks for the vin number when you go there to buy one. And that is why I am looking for the specs. So, please leave your inaccurate data at home and ignore this thread. I am looking for facts.

·
Registered
7,110 Posts
Rave on, dude/dudette.

·
Registered
2016 Carbide Grey 2.5 Limited Outback with Eyesight. Add-on: Geolandar GO15's on 17" WRX rims, Ecohitch
300 Posts
Subarus could have a 16x1.5, or a 20x1.5 or even a 1/2 inch drain plug. That is why Subaru asks for the vin number when you go there to buy one. And that is why I am looking for the specs. So, please leave your inaccurate data at home and ignore this thread. I am looking for facts.
Yet you came to a forum to seek the answer?

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5 Limited
143 Posts
According to my phone call to the company they only sell the 3.6l and it won't fit on the 2.5l. Plus, I am not looking fo rthat. I am looking for the specs on the 2017 2.5l outback drain plug.
LMAO You must have called the wrong company. That valve is installed on my 2017 2.5 Outback and on my GF's 2014 2.5 Forester. They both use the same plug.

See attached for the valve options for the 2.5.

If you were smart, you would just measure it yourself. Also, there are no leaks, so the ones complaining that it leaked did not tighten it properly.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,110 Posts
... the ones complaining that it leaked did not tighten it properly.
... or are shills for a competing vendor. Maybe the Russians are involved. :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yet you came to a forum to seek the answer?
Subaru says there are 3 different bolt sizes. I am only guessing at what it could be. That is why I was asking if anyone knew what theirs was. I would rather have 2 or 3 in my pocket when changing oil instead of a random grouping where none might not fit.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
LMAO You must have called the wrong company. That valve is installed on my 2017 2.5 Outback and on my GF's 2014 2.5 Forester. They both use the same plug.

See attached for the valve options for the 2.5.

If you were smart, you would just measure it yourself. Also, there are no leaks, so the ones complaining that it leaked did not tighten it properly.
You might want to check again. Subaru says there are 3 different bolt sizes that year, and the mfr you speak of says they only have one of the three. Call them.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts