Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2017 outback 3.6r with 124,000 KM’s. Recent work done is a new front axle and oil change (synthetic 5W/30) privately. Transmission fluid change at 100,000 at Subaru.
As of last week I’m experiencing jerking only when I accelerate roughly between 20-80KM per hour. It seems at random intervals but it happens all the time. It doesn’t seem to do it or as much at higher speeds. It doesn’t start until the car is warmed up (which doesn’t take long). It idles fine and doesn’t do it while slowing down. No codes on the dash or on my reader.
Any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated. Thank you

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Limited w/ES
4,328 Posts
It's early, so not likely your problem, but I'm guessing you haven't had the plugs done - I stretched that service way longer than planned (115k miles) and eventually had something that could be described as jerky behavior. If it happens to be misfires you're feeling, it's not unusual to find no codes, but a good OBD reader will be able to confirm the issue. See if your reader supports Mode $06 data (On-Board Monitoring). After a drive where you've felt the jerking, shut off the engine, and scan mode 6 - you should be able to view misfire counts for the past drive cycle on each cylinder (plus moving averages over the past 10 cycles). FWIW, I was able to stop them completely, until I could get the plugs done, by adding some dry gas (ISO-HEET). I only use regular (87), so I suspect switching to higher octane would have had a similar effect, but I've also read that poor fuel quality can cause the engine to miss.

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
Is it possible that the fresh fluid change is causing the TCU to have to “relearn” inputs and pressures? I mean, 100,000 km isn’t that much, if it was 100,000 miles I would think there is a bunch of gunk.

Mass air flow sensor cleaning? Engine air filter replacement?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It seems to be around 1200-1600 RPM. If I accelerate very fast it seems to be fine. It’s that normal accelerating range it jerks randomly. I’ve cleaned out the throttle body the best I could. It was actually very dirty but I’ve had another vehicle that cleaning worked. It very well could be the throttle body but the symptoms were much different. I appreciate all the ideas. I’ll start checking off things

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So far I’ve cleaned out the throttle body (without fully taking it off but I scrubbed it out pretty good with a toothbrush. I sprayed off the mass air sensor and the engine filter is clean

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
16,494 Posts
Was the CVT Fluid changed as an attempt to rectify the jerkiness?

Battery and grounding?

At this point I'd say data would be needed to determine what is causing it. If it's the engine you'd look for knock correction, odd feedback from sensors and the like. If it's the trans you look at the turbine speeds, lock up and ratio output.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The fluid was changed just as general maintenance. I did notice the battery has a lot of corrosion and it was just changed when I bought the car (around 90,000km). I’ll clean those up today.
It seems to be doing it a lot more often and more significantly now. More so when I even step on the gas from a traffic light (already warmed up) I was hoping to see something on the dash but nothing yet. I’m at the point where I might just have to take it in to Subaru but I can’t really afford to take it in blindly. I did talk with them and they mentioned maybe a faulty axle or a pcv valve is due anyways. With research, the pcv valve doesn’t seem like my issue but for the relatively easy install and cost, I might just do it.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Clean the Throttle Body and the MAF and use the correct cleaners. I would also disconnect the battery before you start and reconnect when done. When you start the Engine let it idle for 10-15 min. then take it for nice 30-45 min ride.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just an update. I setup an appointment with Subaru but they’re booked up until Jan 5th! I’m ordering a scan tool that has mode 6 capability and going to check for misfires.
It seems to be consistently jerking at around 1300-1600 RPM. Sometimes a jerk once I press the gas to begin with but usually there’s a pause. If I step on the gas to over 2000rpm it doesn’t jerk at all but it’s super hard to drive like this and in a snow storm!

So far I’ve tried the following and still no codes.

• Cleaned the throttle body
• Cleaned the mass air flow sensor
• Added seafoam to the tank and the throttle body as directed
• Cleaned up the very corroded battery
• Checked the engine air filter and it’s clean

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So I just got the scanner and it’s misfiring on cylinder 5! Now the fun begins figuring out where that one is and if I can do it myself. I truly appreciate all the feedback and suggestions. If anyone has any experience with this, please let me know. I’ll be doing some research as well
Product Telephony Portable communications device Communication Device Gadget

Gadget Communication Device Portable communications device Font Line

1 - 12 of 12 Posts