Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 2017 outback touring 2.5l originally for my wife and I had a Jeep Grand Cherokee for myself. I drive a lot and she is retired so after a year or so we swapped vehicles and I took over the Subaru. I started racking up the miles quickly and now as of 10-18-2019 I just cracked 80K. Overall this has been a great vehicle with only one repair. I had to replace a left CV joint at about 73K I think it was. It started popping. Otherwise the only other things are oil changes tires, spark plugs, wiper blades etc. I changed tranny fluid at 60K along with the differential fluids as well. I still have the original brake pads on too. I put on Pirelli P7 tires at 39500 so they now have 40,500 miles and are at 6/32". I started a thread on them in the tire forum. These are GREAT tires. Very quiet and they wear very even and didn't hammer my mileage too bad like some tires do.

Overall I love the car and REALLY love the eyesight. It makes interstate driving so stress free for me. The only quirks I see is that the NAV head unit is a bit quirky at times and seems to take too long to switch modes. I have never been able to get the stock quotes function to work well either but thats pretty minor. Compared to the Connect version on my jeep the Subaru head unit is a decade behind the times.

Lifetime mileage is 29,9 mpg and my last trip this week was 284 miles mostly highway and interstate where I get around 33 mpg usually. And no I don't normally drive at 80, I just staged that for the photo.

If anyone has questions post them up.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I left one item out. I also replaced the battery with a Bosch AGM when the car was new. I could tell it was very slow to turn over and didn't want to end up stranded so I bought this one at Pepboys and kept the OEM battery in the basement as a spare for my house Generator. Its still working but I keep it on a battery tender so at least the OEM was good for that.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5i Limited
116 Posts
I love the picture in your lead post. Had to take some planning to pull it off perfectly like that.

I have a similar garage to yours. A 2017 Outback and a 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Sounds like you do a lot of your own work too. How is the Subaru to work on compared to the Jeep? I've had to do a lot of work on the Jeep (60k service, wheel bearings, driveshafts, shocks) but the Subaru is still under warranty and I haven't spun a wrench on it yet. Does it appear to be designed for service like the Jeep? Or was serviceability an afterthought like a certain Ford P.O.S. in my garage...

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I love the picture in your lead post. Had to take some planning to pull it off perfectly like that.

I have a similar garage to yours. A 2017 Outback and a 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Sounds like you do a lot of your own work too. How is the Subaru to work on compared to the Jeep? I've had to do a lot of work on the Jeep (60k service, wheel bearings, driveshafts, shocks) but the Subaru is still under warranty and I haven't spun a wrench on it yet. Does it appear to be designed for service like the Jeep? Or was serviceability an afterthought like a certain Ford P.O.S. in my garage...

Our Grand Cherokee is a 2015 with the V6 Penstar engine and it has been flawless so far with 72K miles on it. I have changed the diff fluids and spark plugs on it and I think that is it. I do have a lifter ticking that needs to see the dealer for but I have the molar 5-100K warranty so that should take care of that hopefully.

To me the Jeep Grand Cherokee is a much much nicer vehicle. It rides better, handles better has much more power V6 vs the 2.5 in the Subaru. Our Subaru is a Touring and the Jeep is an Overland so both are pretty nice but the Jeep was almost 50K sticker so I guess I expect it to be nicer. The Jeep has air suspension and the multiple 4wd options including a locking diff with 2 speed transfer case. So I kinda feel like the Jeep is likely a "real 4wd/AWD" and of course it has a real 8 speed transmission with a decent tow capacity.

Though the CVT has been flawless so far, I cant say I really like it as much as the paddle shifting Jeep tranny. Working on them is about the same. The Jeep oil filter is also on top like the Outback so with that and a Fumoto valve oil changes are a snap.

Though they are similar size the jeep is taller and more like a true SUV. I am not saying that the Outback 2.5 Touring isn't a great vehicle because it is. But if the extra 10K doesn't bother you the Jeep Grand Cherokee is in another league.

If I had a long trip to make in one of them I usually take the Subaru just because of the Eyesight which I dont have anything similar on the older Jeep. No lane assist, no adaptive cruise etc. The only thing the jeep has is the lane change warning lights in the mirrors.

·
Registered
2017 subaru outback 2.5i with eyesight
13 Posts
If I may ask, did you use the P7 run flats or the all season plus model on your outback?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If I may ask, did you use the P7 run flats or the all season plus model on your outback?

I have the all season plus tires. I hate runflats from previous use on BMWs. They ride like bricks. Plus I have a spare tire so I don't really need them on this car.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts