Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 418 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Outback 3.6 R Touring
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to start my 2017 Outback with 1800 miles and battery is dead. Nothing plugged in. Nothing left on.. :( 1.5 hours for roadside assistance to show up. Sent a guy from Oakland which is 5o minutes away from me. I have a towing company within spitting distance form my house. :( But I want going to use may triple AAA stuff for this issue. Stevens Creek Subaru has horrible customer service.

·
Registered
2016 Outback Limited 3.6
608 Posts
Yeah, I have not experienced very good dealer customer service myself. Lots of threads on bad batteries particularly on the h4 models. If I were you, I would head over to Walmart and just replace it with the EverStart Maxx battery. They are very well rated by Consumer Reports. I have used them in various cars with great success. The dealer is not going to do anything for you. The battery is our Outbacks are pieces of sh!t.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5i Limited
1,108 Posts
Went to start my 2017 Outback with 1800 miles and battery is dead. Nothing plugged in. Nothing left on.. :( 1.5 hours for roadside assistance to show up. Sent a guy from Oakland which is 5o minutes away from me. I have a towing company within spitting distance form my house. :( But I want going to use may triple AAA stuff for this issue. Stevens Creek Subaru has horrible customer service.
Wow, and to think if you carried this $60 item, you could have jump started the car yourself and been on your way in minutes... :)

https://www.amazon.com/DBPOWER-1200...5693881&sr=8-10&keywords=jump+starter+battery

I carry one of these, and I replaced the crappy OEM battery with a Optima Yellow Top battery.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 3.6 R Touring
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Totally. However that isn't the point. I had chargers in my garage and the car was parked in front of my garage. I was more concerned that the battery was dead. I have free roadside assistance via Subaru, they can handle it. Just didn't think my battery would be dead. But thanks for the link.

·
Registered
Tungsten 2017 2.5 Limited w Eyesight SOLD!
1,043 Posts
The OEM battery on my 2011 only lasted 10 months and I replaced it with a new one from Discount Auto that lasted 4 years.
I didn't bother getting a replacement from the dealer as all they had was the same crap..

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,017 Posts
SOA roadside has been very good for me. They follow up and monitor the service call. When my CVT took a dump they gave me ETA, drivers name and company. They followed up twice. Once to see if they showed on time and again after drop off to see how service was. They told me if anything is wrong during the process call them back and they will handle it. Better than any cold call tow service I've ever used.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Totally. However that isn't the point. I had chargers in my garage and the car was parked in front of my garage. I was more concerned that the battery was dead. I have free roadside assistance via Subaru, they can handle it. Just didn't think my battery would be dead. But thanks for the link.
Search under 'battery' and you find plenty of posts about the crappy OEM battery. It's a weak 356 cold cranking amps Johnson Controls battery that might be fine on a lawnmower, but not a $35K car.

·
Registered
2005 Outback XT 5EAT
232 Posts
Interesting. I'm pretty sure my first Subaru (97 Impreza) still had it's original battery when I bought the car in 2011. I ended up replacing it but it worked for a while.

I think @Brucey had a really old battery in his 2000 too.

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
11,405 Posts
Interesting. I'm pretuty sure my first Subaru (97 Impreza) still had it's original battery when I bought the car in 2011. I ended up replacing it but it worked for a while.

I think @Brucey had a really old battery in his 2000 too.
Yup. Lasted until 2011. 12 year old battery, and even then I think it had more life in it, but the terminal was bad and we misdiagnosed as battery failure. Probably was worth replacing by then.

·
Registered
2015 Outback Limited, 2.5i, 2021 Touring XT in White
347 Posts
Man , I was sure Subaru would drop this feature after the 2015 MY. It looks like you are one of the more recent members of the "dead battery club" . You should not be disappointed when you dealer tests the battery and finds it OK. If it tests ok, Subaru will, not pay for a replacement. I have personally talked to many owners that have experienced this. As suggested, you can go anywhere and buy a GP25 battery that has 50% more power. Unfortunately, the OEM battery that came with your Outback is too big to fit in your lawn tractor. :surprise:

·
Registered
2017 Outback Limited
4 Posts
Brought home a 2017 Limited last month, battery made me nervous, not with its weak CCA but its poor reserve capacity. This would be an issue as i car camp so lots of hatch opens and closes without car running. Off to Walmart for a group 34 Maxx-N as i have had good luck with them in the past. Group 34 fit perfectly with no alterations required, straight swap. But what surprised me the most, was the OEM group 25 was dated February 2015 ... ummm, that's a new car with a 19 month old battery. Lesson to be gleaned: Check your battery dates on your "New" cars ...

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Per the dealer, the two reasons the battery may die, 1-not starting the car for some time (3 weeks or more) or 2- keeping the push start keyfob closer to 15 feet to the car.
They should add 3- SOA installed a sub-standard, piss poor OEM battery. $110 should be deducted from price of car so that owner can head to Wal Mart and get a group 34 Everstart Maxx. Or for $185 from Amazon, an Optima Yellow Top.... :)

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Premium
319 Posts
They should add 3- SOA installed a sub-standard, piss poor OEM battery. $110 should be deducted from price of car so that owner can head to Wal Mart and get a group 34 Everstart Maxx. Or for $185 from Amazon, an Optima Yellow To...
Totally agree, What a hunk of junk! Glad mine left me stranded in my garage. We start it every day and we do not have push start key fobs.

The other thing is how the owner's manual says that it is not necessary to check the battery for water. B S ! They probably say that because they know it's going to go bad before it needs any.

I checked mine months before it went bad and it was already very low. I brought it up to proper level with distilled water. Maybe I got at least a little more life out of the pathetic thing.

Andy

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Brought home a 2017 Limited last month, battery made me nervous, not with its weak CCA but its poor reserve capacity. This would be an issue as i car camp so lots of hatch opens and closes without car running. Off to Walmart for a group 34 Maxx-N as i have had good luck with them in the past. Group 34 fit perfectly with no alterations required, straight swap. But what surprised me the most, was the OEM group 25 was dated February 2015 ... ummm, that's a new car with a 19 month old battery. Lesson to be gleaned: Check your battery dates on your "New" cars ...
It's very unlikely that the factory had some old batteries on the shelf and threw one into your 2017; more likely your new battery was removed at the dealer's make-ready dept. to switch out to somebody's 2015 that had a bad battery.

Yes I'm suggesting that the dealer's shop cheated in the name of customer service ("Get the customer out the door and on his/her way ASAP.") Customer with the bad battery complained too much and put the shop under time pressure and dealer was afraid customer would write them a bad evaluation so your car became donor >:).

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5 Premium
64 Posts
I noticed a lag in the start about a week after I picked up my 2017 as well and thought it was odd that it was doing that, 4600 miles currently. Couldn't see a manufacture date but I didn't pull the battery out.
No key fob, drive it every day, completely stock electronics.
I am going to be replacing the stock stereo system and will be replacing the battery with an AGM anyway but for a "brand new" battery the one in our 2014 Audi sounds way stronger, even the one in my motorcycle that sits on the charger cranks over better.

·
Registered
2017 Outback Limited
4 Posts
It's very unlikely that the factory had some old batteries on the shelf and threw one into your 2017; more likely your new battery was removed at the dealer's make-ready dept. to switch out to somebody's 2015 that had a bad battery.

Yes I'm suggesting that the dealer's shop cheated in the name of customer service ("Get the customer out the door and on his/her way ASAP.") Customer with the bad battery complained too much and put the shop under time pressure and dealer was afraid customer would write them a bad evaluation so your car became donor >:).
Hmmm, never thought of that, quite plausible. lol, da'bastards ... Just a lesson learned information for others to be aware. Feeling much better with a group 34 Everstart Maxx upgrade installed, and really, how often can you say that a Walmart product is an upgrade. Shameful!

·
Registered
2016 Outback Limited 3.6
608 Posts
I have used the Optima line in the past but I find them really overrated. They also have lousy warranties. Not sure why Consumer Reports does not include them in their ratings. Diehard Platinum series still seems to top the charts.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I have used the Optima line in the past but I find them really overrated. They also have lousy warranties. Not sure why Consumer Reports does not include them in their ratings. Diehard Platinum series still seems to top the charts.
I used to buy Optima when they were made in the good ol US of A but no longer. There's a group 34 Die Hard Plat in my OB.

1 - 20 of 418 Posts