Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a new 2017 Outback. Love the car, but the cabin has a loud wind noise when going more than 40 mph. I brought it back to Curry Subaru 4x. They replaced the window weather striping, replaced a roof rack, and added additional weather striping. Not to mention that when they replaced the roof rack, they had to take down the head liner. The workers left grease marks all over my beige interior. The problem is still not fixed. Contacted Subaru head quarters... They offered me a $3500 credit if I traded in my car. What an insult!! I have a defective car that I payed FULL PRICE for. Not one person from Subaru offered to even drive the car. I offered to drive it Cherry Hill, New Jersey to have a representative drive this lemon. Anyone else having this same issue??

·
Registered
284 Posts
Not desirable for a future owner, but you might be able to get into an 18 with that much credit and your Subaru guaranteed trade in value, at no cost. Or if the noise is better, but the headliner bothers you, then have them replace the headliner. Subaru CS is one of the best to work with, based on personal experience..... Not sure about the type of interactions you have had with the dealership or Subaru, so take this with a grain of salt; common courtesy goes a long way in the resolution of issues. Separately, I would not want to go to the dealership you used; as they obviously lack attention to detail in the work they do. Working on the interior, they should have had clean gloves on etc.

Dealerships are a hit or miss and I do not use them; when our passenger side airbag was replaced under recall in 2016 on the 08 OBS, the stereo unit was left greasy/grungy/filthy, the ambient blue lamp under the center console open storage area was not replaced and lost, few visible fasteners were omitted, the HVAC mode selector control cable was not connected. I had to make 4 trips to get basic items corrected, and I have developed a creaky dash ever since that work was performed. This is on a meticulously (self) maintained car, so I can certainly understand your frustration.....

Lastly, we have a 17 OB Premium with ~3300 miles and do not find the wind noise level bothersome at all.

·
Registered
2017 Outback Limited 2.5, Twilight Blue/Ivory, Eyesight. Also 1995 BMW 525i with 240,000 miles
2,293 Posts
I purchased a new 2017 Outback. Love the car, but the cabin has a loud wind noise when going more than 40 mph. I brought it back to Curry Subaru 4x. They replaced the window weather striping, replaced a roof rack, and added additional weather striping. Not to mention that when they replaced the roof rack, they had to take down the head liner. The workers left grease marks all over my beige interior. The problem is still not fixed. Contacted Subaru head quarters... They offered me a $3500 credit if I traded in my car. What an insult!! I have a defective car that I payed FULL PRICE for. Not one person from Subaru offered to even drive the car. I offered to drive it Cherry Hill, New Jersey to have a representative drive this lemon. Anyone else having this same issue??
There have been multiple threads on wind noise of the Gen 5 especially the 2015s. Search a bit. It is a problem for some but not all. The 2018s have some improvement.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i Limited Eyesight - Remote Start - Auto Dimming In/Outside Mirrors
245 Posts
Will the $3500 credit plus the trade in value cover the cost of a new 2018?

The 2018 models specifically addressed the wind noise issue. One of the changes was the actual shape of the outside mirrors for example.

Boy ... I was seriously considering a 2017 Touring. They would not come down on the price, so I went with a 2018 Limited. Sure glad I went with the 2018.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
2017 Outback

I purchased a brand new 2017 Outback in Dec. 2016. I have a loud wind noise in the cabin. Brought it back 4x to the dealer with no solution. Contacted Subaru of America and they offered my $3500 if I trade in the car!!! Crazy and so unfair!!!! Shame on them!!

·
On the Super Mod Squad
02 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,221 Posts
I purchased a brand new 2017 Outback in Dec. 2016. I have a loud wind noise in the cabin. Brought it back 4x to the dealer with no solution. Contacted Subaru of America and they offered my $3500 if I trade in the car!!! Crazy and so unfair!!!! Shame on them!!
that sucks

merged threads, no need to duplicate.

did you ever find out where the wind noise was coming from ? ....I mean its your car, not theirs or the dealership mechanics.

·
Read Only
453 Posts
Has there been any determination where the noise is coming from? The windshield and roof rack are two completely different things. Almost sounds like they are not sure.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts