Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 214 Posts

·
Registered
2017 subaru outback touring 3.6 lifted
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 2017 outback touring 3.6

i had a lift installed and put 245 17 bfg all terrains and new rims on..
i has a wobble at 15-20 mph n then goes away
tires were balanced an an alignment was done..
any ideas?

·
Premium Member
2013 OB 3.6R (former)
2,793 Posts
Does the kit come with driveshaft spacers? All case I have heard of so far concern kits without driveshaft spacers.

·
Premium Member
2016 Outback Limited Titanium
489 Posts
Did your tire shop do a "Road Force Balance" when you had the new tires and wheels put on? I had a similar problem with a Jeep when I installed new wheels and AT tires. I found a shop that had a Road Force Balance machine and that solved the tire vibrations problems I was having.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 OB 2.5 Lim/ 2005 STI 400 WHP
277 Posts

any ideas?
Hey.... this sounds cool... post pics.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
212 Posts
Have the same issue here. Would call it a shake rather than a wobble.

So far I've gathered that some people get it and some people don't, and the different ways to mitigate it (driveshaft spacer, ecu/tcu flash) only sometimes works.

Helpful, I know.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 OB 2.5 Lim/ 2005 STI 400 WHP
277 Posts
I bet it has to do with drive shafts or axles binding because of the higher angles.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
it feels like its coming from the back.
its not in the steering wheel.
like the axle shafts shake at the 15-20mph speed.
when i got the alignment done , could there be a toe end issue?
what does a road force balance do?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey.... this sounds cool... post pics.

click on my avatar.. i have an album on my profile.. check it out..

I'm a newbie , so i can't post pics yet

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I bet it has to do with drive shafts or axles binding because of the higher angles.

my understanding is the axles are close to factory height.. its a 2inch "body" lift

·
Registered
2017 Outback 3.6R Limited
106 Posts

any ideas?
If you had it installed, take it back to them. The shop that did mine did a great job. I'm about 10K into the lift and just solid, no wobble, no wandering, no vibration..

Attachments

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
12,263 Posts
If you had it installed, take it back to them. The shop that did mine did a great job. I'm about 10K into the lift and just solid, no wobble, no wandering, no vibration..
Can you drive up a steep (10 degree or 18 percent grade) incline and keep the gearing high (1500 rpm or less) and maintain a speed of 18 mph with no vibration?

I know that's an odd request but that is the only time mine vibrates. If all those variables are not there it will not happen. Which leads me to believe it's in all lifted Gen 5s but not noticeable for many as it requires specific circumstances.

I've considered tuning it out but worry about treating symptoms instead of causes.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 3.6R Limited
106 Posts
Can you drive up a steep (10 degree or 18 percent grade) incline and keep the gearing high (1500 rpm or less) and maintain a speed of 18 mph with no vibration?

I know that's an odd request but that is the only time mine vibrates. If all those variables are not there it well not happen. Which leads me to believe it's in all lifted Gen 5s but not noticeable for many as it requires specific circumstances.

I've considered tuning it out but worry about treating symptoms instead of causes.
That I cannot say. But, I will be up on some Jeep trails next month so I'll try and see if I can remember. Given LP is just a body lift off the sub frame I recokn the drive line angle on the rear diff would be different but, from what I've seen from LP, I would definitely reach out to them as well as they were very helpful to me. I also put in a PedalBox so my acceleration is quite a bit different too!

·
Registered
212 Posts

I know that's an odd request but that is the only time mine vibrates. If all those variables are not there it well not happen. Which leads me to believe it's in all lifted Gen 5s but not noticeable for many as it requires specific circumstances.

Here's a snippet from an email conversation I had with Patrick Anderson from ADF a couple months back.

"Ive been reading into vibration on theses outback and have seen a few guys having this on stock outbacks. One guy had taken it in to a dealer and got the ECU and TCU re flashed which fixed the issue. This issue is so hit and miss, i have a customer with almost 40k on his lift 2016OB and has not had any problems at all. This is one of my local guys which i have personally driven his car.*"

I have that rpm surge issue and am getting my ecu and tcu flashed this weekend. I'm curious to see if it helps.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
update

update: my lift gate quit working so i took it in to get repaired.. while i was there i had them do a road force balance on the tires .. it didn't make a difference..
side note. my local dealer told me that if subaru found out about my 2 in body lift they would black flag my car n void my warranty.. says it has happened before.. anyone heard of this?

1 - 20 of 214 Posts