Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had this car since Feb of this year and if I drive over 45 min to an hour my back kills me, seat is very uncomfortable and I don't have back issues. It seems like the lumbar support is not enough even when at max. Anyone else having this problem? What did u do?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920AZ using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 OB Limited 3.6
114 Posts
None from me; 2017 3.6 Limited. I drove home, 5 hours straight, no stops, after watching the eclipse. No problems. Sold me on the comfort.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 3.6R Limited
28 Posts
Yes, the Outback's seats are... weird and some people do find them uncomfortable (including myself). Weird lumbar support position (for me it feels like it's located too low) and weird seat cushion material (for me it sometimes feels like someone inserted a wooden plank into certain area of the cushion). And I do not have an unusual body shape - I'm 6' tall and about 175 lbs.

Anyway, if you feel like there's not enough lumbar support - you can try using an aftermarket seat lumbar support pillow, there are billions of them available on Amazon and other places (eBay or whatever). Just keep buying and returning them until you'll find one that fits your specific body shape. Either that, or (if your car is not leased and you don't want to simply get rid of it) find some local custom upholstery shop which can make appropriate adjustments/additions to seat's shape/material.

·
Registered
2016 Carbide Grey 2.5 Limited Outback with Eyesight. Add-on: Geolandar GO15's on 17" WRX rims, Ecohitch
300 Posts
Yes, the Outback's seats are... weird and some people do find them uncomfortable (including myself). Weird lumbar support position (for me it feels like it's located too low) and weird seat cushion material (for me it sometimes feels like someone inserted a wooden plank into certain area of the cushion). And I do not have an unusual body shape - I'm 6' tall and about 175 lbs.

I'm about the same size as you. I too find that the location is a little low on my back. I find the maximum support position to be the most comfortable. I probably sit more upright than most drivers I see nowadays (at least a lot more upright than my wife).

·
Registered
2019 3.6R Touring Edition - Crystal White Pearl
154 Posts
When I first got my 2016 OB Limited I thought that the lumbar support was too pronounced, even at its lightest position. Now, nearly 30,000 miles later, I don't even give it a thought. The seats might not be the most comfortable ever, but even on long trips they don't bother me.

·
Registered
2016 Outback 2.5i Limited (CBS)
9 Posts
I have a 2016 limited, but it's my wife's DD. I've done a few 1k mile round-trips in it and never had comfort issues.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
MY17 2.5i Limited
37 Posts
I’m 6’-3” and 280lbs. My back was killing me in MY17 limited. I found moving the front of the seat up helped . For lack of better terms, this is the part of the seat that you butt is sitting on, closest to your knees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
205 Posts
Have you tried adjusting seat back different before long trip?

I find my back hurts a bit if I don't sit as upright as possible.

Just sitting in car and adjusting seat at first that kind of lean back mode that I see my friends use a lot feels at first comfortable.

But for hours of driving I find these two steps are key for me.

(1) Make sure I'm sitting all the way back. Pick up butt, push as far into seatback as possible.
(2) Adjust seat back to the absolute most upright, my back is straight, position possible. Then recheck step (1)

I have an Acura RL, a VW TDI, and the Subaru. Same rules hold true for all of them to avoid back pain on hours long drive.

Make sure you're seat is forward enough you're not subconciously leaning forward a bit to grab steering wheel. Also if you're legs on seat bottom aren't 90 degrees to your back but instead kind up "going up" over time you'll not notice it but it will make the bottom of your spine curve out towards front of car a little rather than staying upright.

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
12,274 Posts
I took the lumbar reinforcement plate out on mine.

It helped on long trips. Plan to do it on the passenger seat too.

·
Registered
2017 Outback Limited
136 Posts
I don't like my 2017 Limited seats either. I removed the lumbar supports in both front seats. That did not help. The problem, for me, is the part of the seat you sit on. It's weird. I put back the lumbar support with a 1/2" cushion glued to the hard white plastic. That helped a bit but not for seat comfort. While I like the '17 Outback Limited, I tell EVERYONE that asks about the poor seat design (many have ask how I like the car). I ordered, and am using, a seat cushion from Amazon on both front seats. This helps.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same issue (6'3" 200lb). Would get a slight pain in my lower back after driving for more than 30 minutes. Typically i get the same pain in long haul flights.

Anyway, my solution was to get a lumbar pillow like everyone said. I liked these - onpurple.com/seatcushions. The lumbar one has washable covers and a strap to keep things in place.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Limited, Ice Silver/Black
2,422 Posts
Maybe they meant Limited comfort.

Reactions: Jenkysubielady

·
Registered
2018 OB Limited 3.6R
201 Posts
Have you tried adjusting seat back different before long trip?

I find my back hurts a bit if I don't sit as upright as possible.

Just sitting in car and adjusting seat at first that kind of lean back mode that I see my friends use a lot feels at first comfortable.

But for hours of driving I find these two steps are key for me.

(1) Make sure I'm sitting all the way back. Pick up butt, push as far into seatback as possible.
(2) Adjust seat back to the absolute most upright, my back is straight, position possible. Then recheck step (1)

I have an Acura RL, a VW TDI, and the Subaru. Same rules hold true for all of them to avoid back pain on hours long drive.

Make sure you're seat is forward enough you're not subconciously leaning forward a bit to grab steering wheel. Also if you're legs on seat bottom aren't 90 degrees to your back but instead kind up "going up" over time you'll not notice it but it will make the bottom of your spine curve out towards front of car a little rather than staying upright.

This diagram is missing the modern headrest that shoves your head forward.

·
Registered
2018 OB Limited 3.6R
201 Posts
Seats are definitely like shoes. When we shopped for our Limited we compared against a number of vehicles; Toyota Highlander, Acura MDX, GMC Acadia, Nissan Pathfinder, Nissan Murano, Honda Pilot, Mazda CX-9, Ford Edge, Kia Sorento and Infinity QX60.

Our heights and needs are quite different (I'm 6'1", she is 5'2") but we did find agreement on at least the following... the most comfortable seats to us were in the Subaru and the Infinity. The least comfortable seats were in the Toyota, Nissan and Ford. The rest we had differing opinions.

Long duration seat comfort was our top priority and we found that successfully. Long trips in the Subaru are very comfortable without the need for pillows or constant shifting. When we narrowed the field we would go to the showroom multiple times and sit in the seats for an hour or two, foot traffic permitting, until we decided.

Everybody's needs are different which is why I suggest to take your time shopping and utilize the showroom models under comfortable climate control and just sit for as long as it takes to learn which is right for you.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm about the same size as you. I too find that the location is a little low on my back. I find the maximum support position to be the most comfortable. I probably sit more upright than most drivers I see nowadays (at least a lot more upright than my wife).
I am 5'6 and 138lbs and it seems too low also. I did not know how to describe it but that's it the lumbar is to low!!! My last car was a honda civic 05 had lumbar and was very comfy for me. Then I got a 2016 civic loaded except they didn't come with adjustable lumbar. So my back did bother me but not as much as in the outback. I feel like the seat is curved wrong it pushes me to the right and i lean twd the console!!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have the same issue (6'3" 200lb). Would get a slight pain in my lower back after driving for more than 30 minutes. Typically i get the same pain in long haul flights.

Anyway, my solution was to get a lumbar pillow like everyone said. I liked these - onpurple.com/seatcushions. The lumbar one has washable covers and a strap to keep things in place.
Thank u for the link.

·
Premium Member
2020 Outback Premium
373 Posts
2nd gen 5 Limited for us. No issues on comfort here. Our other vehicle is a 1997 Ford pickup. So it's a matter of perspective. Good luck on getting everything adjusted.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts