Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Well, to be fair, the stock HID system was short-lived (3 years), particularly on 4 cylinder Outbacks (looks like 2017 was it for those). Pretty sure the LED projectors they started using in 2018, just like probably all OE LED headlights, are in fact not serviceable. But the HID housing is unique - an experienced tech should be able to visually ID that right away.

They would have realized their mistake as soon as it came time to install that LED housing - the harness connectors would not match up. So you wouldn't have been charged, just inconvenienced.
Got it. Helpful context. I appreciate it. I went straight to replacing a part that's not broken. All the best.

Thanks,
D

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Limited, 2013 Tesla Model S 85
1,270 Posts
Again, very much appreciate the help. You all saved me ~$750 and 1 additional week of driving without a headlight.
I hope you didn't pay for (4) side marker bulbs, new tires, or alignment from that place. Just on The Principle Of Cluelessness: "If you can't fix the headlight how am I to trust you to mount tires correctly?"

HID are funny things. Sometimes one burns out early, the other never. Sometimes both go within a week of each other. Whatever happens you are ready for it now!

There is a chance the new will burn out again, quickly. Then question whether you touched the glass or let it touch anything on installation? If so, buy a new bulb and try again. If not, then maybe one more try with a new bulb and if it goes too then it is time for a ballast.

Halogen bulbs are equally sensitive to dirt or finger oil on the glass.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts