Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Outback 3.6R
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not, apparently, the brightest person on the block.

2017 Outback Limited, keyless remote entry.

If I want to "hide" a spare key it appears as though I have to hide it wrapped in a pound of aluminum foil as one option. Another I have migrated towards is storing the key in a magnetic key holder with the battery removed and taped to the case exterior. That way, if my normal key takes a serious bath or is lost I can retrieve the spare, install the battery and move on.

This all seems... sketchy. If I simply put the spare in the glove box (with battery installed) the touch-handle entry does not function. I don't know what else might or might not work. But others must have reviewed alternatives I have not considered. I just can envision a scenario of losing a remote and going through **** IF I didn't have a programmed key hidden. Yes, I could just use the mechanical key but that doesn't start the vehicle. I could have a spare inside (with battery) and just forget about the touch entry feature.

All of this contrived mystique leads me to believe I have simply not considered something as having a functional spare that can start a car shouldn't be too hard....

Opinions appreciate (about the key, not my intellect)

·
Premium Member
2019 2.5i Limited PZEV, EyeSight, Magnetite Gray Metallic, Black Interior
219 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Outback 3.6R
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Grumpy, thank you for the reply. It appears I will just move forward with the magnetic key holder, fob with battery taped to its exterior. It's amazing that the auto industry has not figured out that someone might actually soak their fob or lose it. Of course, then you get to visit the dealer and hand over $350. After the tow...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts