Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5i Limited w/ EyeSight - Lapis Blue Pearl
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, all!

Loving our new Outback during its first month. I wasn't sure whether to post this here or in the detailing forum, but I have a question re: the materials used in the interior. I know our Limited has leather seats, a leather-wrapped steering wheel, and leather shift knob. I am wondering, though, exactly what areas of the seats are actual leather, versus faux leather, and the same for other parts of the interior. This helps me know what types of cleaner / conditioner to use on the interior. In our previous car, it was spelled out in the manuals what was leather, but I'm not finding that level of detail for the Subaru.

Thanks in advance! These forums have been very helpful thus far.

Todd

·
Registered
'17 OB 3.6R Touring [ex-'09 OB Ltd. (2009-16); ex-'01 Audi A6 Avant (2001-2009)]; '14 Impreza Sport Premium
924 Posts
Seating surface only (center cushions) iirc

·
Registered
'17 OB Touring
106 Posts
And even the center cushions are coated with plastic. So, except to make it smell nice, you don't really need leather conditioner.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you, all.

So if I understand the responses thus far, the only actual leather in the interior is the bottom seat panel of the seats (front and rear?)? Neither the side bolsters nor upper back sections of the seats, nor head restraints are leather? None of the door panels, including arm rests are leather, nor arm rest of the center console area is leather? I am questioning this specifically, due to comparison to my previous car, a VW Passat. On that vehicle, basically any part of the interior that the body comes into direct contact with was leather. In that vehicle, all of the front sections of the seats, the head restraints, the arm rests, and even the pocket sleeves on the back of the driver's and passenger's seat were leather.

Thank you again,
Todd

·
Registered
'17 OB Touring
106 Posts
Are you sure about that? On my Passat (2014 SEL), the center sections were some kind of artificial suede. The surrounding bolsters felt like the real thing but all other surfaces felt different. If that was all leather it must have come from different breeds. (Not arguing with you, just stating what I experienced.)

·
Registered
Outback 1: 2015 2.5i Limited. Option 23, PP5, Hitch. Ice Silver. Outback 2: 2015 2.5i Limited, Option 23, PP5, Carbide Gray.
1,022 Posts
Thank you, all.

So if I understand the responses thus far, the only actual leather in the interior is the bottom seat panel of the seats (front and rear?)? Neither the side bolsters nor upper back sections of the seats, nor head restraints are leather? None of the door panels, including arm rests are leather, nor arm rest of the center console area is leather? I am questioning this specifically, due to comparison to my previous car, a VW Passat. On that vehicle, basically any part of the interior that the body comes into direct contact with was leather. In that vehicle, all of the front sections of the seats, the head restraints, the arm rests, and even the pocket sleeves on the back of the driver's and passenger's seat were leather.

Thank you again,
Todd
The perforated sections, both seat back and bottom, front and rear, are coated leather. All other seat surfaces as well as door panels and center console are "genuine faux leather."

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5i Limited, Ice Silver
433 Posts
Pretty sad how little is actually leather and they try to pass it off as an leather interior.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Limited, Ice Silver/Black
2,421 Posts
Steering wheel and shift knob...

·
Registered
433 Posts
Steering wheel and shift knob...

That makes it better....not. I get the wheel as you touch it constantly but I could care less about the shift knob. They probably just brag about that just so they have a "list" of items that they can list as leather covered but there is probably very little cost between a non leather knob and a leather shift knob but sounds impressive.

I am hearing Ricardo Montobon saying "Corinthian Leather" in the old Chrysler commercials as the way he said that made you think that it was impressive.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Are you sure about that? On my Passat (2014 SEL), the center sections were some kind of artificial suede. The surrounding bolsters felt like the real thing but all other surfaces felt different. If that was all leather it must have come from different breeds. (Not arguing with you, just stating what I experienced.)
I should add the qualifier, our Passat was a 2003 GLX, so I'm sure a lot of (cost-reducing) changes have occurred since that time.

Thank you,
Todd

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The perforated sections, both seat back and bottom, front and rear, are coated leather. All other seat surfaces as well as door panels and center console are "genuine faux leather."
Thanks for the clarification. I guess the good news is that I won't be using as much of my leather cleaner/conditioner, eh? That'll save some money, I guess. :wink2:

Todd

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
That makes it better....not. I get the wheel as you touch it constantly but I could care less about the shift knob. They probably just brag about that just so they have a "list" of items that they can list as leather covered but there is probably very little cost between a non leather knob and a leather shift knob but sounds impressive.
Agreed, they could have just used vinyl for all and not had to worry about color and texture mismatches.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah, I believe that. The German cars were a lot more car than the recent American-built cars. I never had the opportunity to have one.
Over 14 years, we got 167,000 miles out of our Passat, and it was finally the estimated bill to replace the catalytic converters that steered us back to Subaru. We were hoping to match the 242,000 miles we had gotten out of our '89 DL wagon, but we felt it was time to move on. Optimistically looking forward to at least 15 years and 200K miles from our new Outback. I really did enjoy the VW, but it feels good to be back in a Subaru. But, man, have things changed!

·
Registered
'17 OB 3.6R Touring [ex-'09 OB Ltd. (2009-16); ex-'01 Audi A6 Avant (2001-2009)]; '14 Impreza Sport Premium
924 Posts
Agreed, they could have just used vinyl for all and not had to worry about color and texture mismatches.
please, no.... the vinyl on the seats of my '09 OB was just crap. Awful. Wore through on the driver's side seat bolster twice within less than 6 years, replaced under warranty once and I had to live with the lousy, worn stuff later unless I wanted to pay for the replacement.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
please, no.... the vinyl on the seats of my '09 OB was just crap. Awful. Wore through on the driver's side seat bolster twice within less than 6 years, replaced under warranty once and I had to live with the lousy, worn stuff later unless I wanted to pay for the replacement.
But the current bolsters are still vinyl, so not really sure the point being made.

·
Registered
924 Posts
But the current bolsters are still vinyl, so not really sure the point being made.
Very simple.

The vinyl is crap. Why would I also want the seating surfaces (now leather) to be made of that crappy vinyl? :wink2:

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
I dig the smell of the leather conditioner. I recently starting using the Griot's line of detailing/cleaning things, and I have had a great experience with the 3-in-1 leather conditioner. Helped bring the lustre back to the seats too.

Now if I can only convince my two kids to stop eating/leaving french fries in the back seat I'd be all set :)

·
Registered
433 Posts
I dig the smell of the leather conditioner. I recently starting using the Griot's line of detailing/cleaning things, and I have had a great experience with the 3-in-1 leather conditioner. Helped bring the lustre back to the seats too.

Now if I can only convince my two kids to stop eating/leaving french fries in the back seat I'd be all set :)
Sounds like the "kids" are running the show in your household. Who's car is it? Theirs or yours? Who is buying the kids the french fries....I bet not the kids.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts