Subaru Outback Forums banner

2017 outback tailgate problems

12K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  75cavetrolls 
#1 ·
Sometimes the tailgate only goes about an inch up and stops. other times it works fine. anybody else have a similar problem? solution?

#9 ·
People asking questions (even the ones that can be Googled) and others responding to them makes this forum interesting. And increases traffic to the forum that attracts advertisers who pay for the forum.

So let the questions coming and let others answer them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

#3 ·
Sometimes there are so many posts about a particular system it's hard to find the ones relevant to your problem, especially if you don't have a good handle on additional terms to search for.

Anyway... the times it only goes up an inch and stops, were you opening it using the button on the tailgate itself? What you describe happens if you depress that particular button for too long. From the button by the driver's door or the remote, you must push and hold; from the tailgate itself, just a quick push and release.

I think I know the reason they designed it this way, but it does seem to cause a great deal of consternation and gnashing of teeth.

#7 ·
Sometimes there are so many posts about a particular system it's hard to find the ones relevant to your problem, especially if you don't have a good handle on additional terms to search for.
One can also use the "Search this Forum" tool to return results only from subaruoutback.org

This issue described seems to be the same issue mentioned in the first post of this thread which was started in 2014 (and is still showing in the recent activity list).

#4 ·
It's all about the timing.
Just a quick half second press is all it takes. Anything over one second, and it goes into unlock mode.
This is where it unlocks the door and pops it up an inch or two.
Why does it do this? I have no idea, I'm not a Subaru designer... :|

#11 ·
It's dicks like you that make ppl shy away from forums and asking questions. Good job!
Dude-er, It's not that anyone here is inherently a phallus it's just that there are literally 2 Tailgate threads on the first page.

Now, there are folks that are here to share useful information but they are unable to condense information into one place with so many different folks creating new content about a new subject, it's exhausting. It's kind of a "are we there yet" faux pas. It's a form of etiquette if you have been on boards of this nature for a long enough or heaven forbid been nominated as a mod, you sort of expect. Now the folks here admirably made a list of things you should know, do, avoid in order to register. It's kinda like that episode of South Park and the apple agreement...

So please understand that when that righteous arm leans back from the front left seat or right (depending on RHD, LHD, or a designated hitter) it is the weight of their love and their responsibilities that momentarily breaks them and swiftly delivers a irresolute slap upon you. Sometimes it misses the enabler sitting next to you back there, sometimes not.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.