Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5 Touring
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I've been lurking around these forums ever since I bought an outback and went through most of the threads complaining about sounds coming from the CVT but I thought I'd post to see what the more experienced think of this.

Immediately after picking up the car from the dealer, we've noticed a sound coming from the transmission/CVT only between 10 and 15km/h. The whine is more pronounced when coming quickly to a stop but also happens when accelerating although its harder to hear under the engine noise.

I can reliably make the sound happen by driving back and forth between 10 and 15km/h just by accelerating and coasting. Braking or turning does not change the sound.(Can post a video if that would help)

Given the fact that the car had nearly 0kms, we thought it might just be regular cvt noise but its becoming more noticable as we drive (not sure if its louder or we just know exactly what to listen for and at which speeds). We now have 250kms and the sound is still there.

Any one else experience just a whine ? No shudder/stalling or any effect on the driving feel, just sounds... We contacted our dealer and will see what they say in the next couple of days. Having no prior CVT experience, its also hard to know if we're hurting anything by driving it or if its actually just normal noise (although I dont remember anything like this while test driving)

Thoughts ?

Thanks !

·
Banned
6,264 Posts
Sounds like typical CVT noise. My '15 OB has it as did my wife's '14 Forester and her '17 Forester.

Sometimes more noticeable than at other times.

·
Premium Member
2015 Legacy 3.6R ES, 2014 Forester Touring ES, 2005 Jeep Liberty Limited
3,243 Posts
What he said... New car new sounds. Just relax and enjoy your Outback.
Don't Worry be Happy!

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,018 Posts
+What everybody else said. CVT's are different. If you've never had one they feel different, act different and sound different. You haven't even run through a tank of gas or burned the "new smell" off the engine yet. Relax and enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 3.6R with Eyesight
350 Posts
Just the sound of the chain in the CVT whining a bit. Nothing to worry about.

Reactions: provels

·
Registered
2014 Impreza SP CVT
385 Posts
You must first unlearn what you have learned.

CVTs drive, react and sound different. It's just the nature of the device.
When we first got our CVT, I was quite intrigued with both it's sounds and characteristics. Especially with a closed throttle no brake decel from about 20kph. Then tap the brakes and the whine would get significantly louder. Release brake, less whine. Cool!

CVTs are a breed apart. Just like the Subaru owners who drive them.

·
Registered
2020 Outback touring
107 Posts
Transfer case gear noise.
Normal at very low speed coasting AWD.
Drive more , worry less !!
Just enjoy the car it's great.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5 Touring
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, despite the unanimous answer, we decided to follow through and went to the dealer. Talked with the most experienced guy there and he pretty much repeated what everyone is saying in this thread ;) Noise when slowing down, speeding up, sound is less pronounced when accelerating quickly, etc...

He didn't even have to hop in for a ride and described exactly what we heard and said it was normal and should fade a bit with more milleage but ultimately, thats what CVTs are. He also recommended using the paddle shifters to help with an even break in (hit more wide and varied rpm ranges than the CVT).

Thanks for the answers and hopefully this will help other new paranoid CVT owners haha

1 - 9 of 9 Posts