Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, new to the forum and very appreciative of any help. I've had my 2017 about a month. It was in an accident earlier this year with a salvage title now salvage rebuilt courtesy of my dad's business, so no warranty. Last week I closed my power liftgate and heard the three beeps. I didn't think anything of it until I tried to open later, only to get the three beeps. I removed any objects nearby and the mat but still the three beeps. Now it doesn't beep and doesn't open. Not with the fob, not with the dash button, not with the button on the gate. I followed instructions in the manual to open the gate from the inside and I'm definitely doing it correctly but the gate won't unlatch and open. Are there any other tricks to try to get this to open before I have to take it in? Just not looking forward to spending the money and we're leaving for vacay soon. Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh yes. I've tried long holds, short holds, pushed all the buttons. Nothing. I'm going to see my dad tomorrow and he's going to check the fuse and then maybe change out the parts. Fingers crossed we figure it out, was just hoping someone else has had this same issue.

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
12,485 Posts
Convert to manual tail gate.

See if that fixes it. If it does I would guess that it's the load sensor in the tail gate itself.

You can over ride the hatch to release too. You will have to crawl in from the back seat to access a label on the rear hatch.

There is a tab you push highlighted in the manual. Page 9-20

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Problem solved. My dad got in there with two screwdrivers. First moving the lever described on 9-20 in the manual, and then while holding that down got in there with a second one to slide the pin at the very bottom a little further. It didn't do anything at first but we went back to the button on the gate and held it about a minute and it all of a sudden popped open. We lifted the gate all the way up and then down to reset it and now it works perfectly. ?????

·
Registered
1 Posts
Problem solved. My dad got in there with two screwdrivers. First moving the lever described on 9-20 in the manual, and then while holding that down got in there with a second one to slide the pin at the very bottom a little further. It didn't do anything at first but we went back to the button on the gate and held it about a minute and it all of a sudden popped open. We lifted the gate all the way up and then down to reset it and now it works perfectly. ?????
it works - thank YOU so much. My lift gate was stuck open, i.e. would not latch.. but this worked

·
Registered
1 Posts
My liftgate also got stuck and will not open. The battery died last night. Keeps beeping while I'm driving. When I followed the directions in the manual page 9-20 to override, I accidentally moved the tab to the left and it locked. Now I can't push the tab to the right since it seems to be locked in. I've watched several videos on this and it shows the tab moving easily to the right, but mine is now all the way to the left and won't budge to the right. Any suggestions as to what to do?

·
Registered
1 Posts
My liftgate also got stuck and will not open. The battery died last night. Keeps beeping while I'm driving.

Sounds so similar to my problem. The battery was dead and wouldn't charge. Tailgate wouldn't open. Called a tow truck and the driver was able to get it started...off to Subaru service.
The service tech told me that when there's no power, open the tailgate by continuously holding the handle on the tailgate to override the electric mechanism. Months ago I heard an electric whirring sound around the left rear, and assumed it was the tailgate motor. But the car was off and I wasn't accessing the cargo area. I'm thinking the tailgate somehow drained the battery. Service tech said the tailgate mechanism periodically 'adjusts' the mechanism when instructed by the onboard computer. Hmmmm....I'm still trying to absorb that one. Oh, and I had the ongoing beeping while I drove to Subaru, too. I think it needed to be reset after the battery issue.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts