Subaru Outback Forums banner

2017 Radio Bugs

2125 Views 4 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  John Doe
I seem to be the minority around here, but I've had some (albeit minor) issues out of the radio in my 2017.

The first issue was the radio changing stations and the touch buttons (home, map, info, etc.) would lock up and become unresponsive. The dealer swapped in a new radio under warranty and I haven't had that issue since. I think I saw a TSB somewhere about the radio touch buttons freezing up, so it could have been a common issue, but I don't remember now if it applied to the 18/19 radios or all gen 5.

Now, I've been having a broken record effect. When I make a phone call (through bluetooth) and hang up, the radio will usually start skipping or looping like the way an old record would behave when it wore out. I do have the cache radio feature turned on, so it is something related to that system. I can rewind the audio and replay the section that skips, so it's definitely something in the cached audio file. It occurs on all the local stations I listen to, so it doesn't seem to be related to signal strength or HD/non-HD radio.

Has anyone in the community had this problem? I've already set up an appointment for the dealer to look over it, but I wonder if there is something else at play like a shorted wire harness. I find it hard to believe that I would have 2 faulty radios in a row on a model not known for issues with the head unit.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
61 Posts
I seem to be the minority around here, but I've had some (albeit minor) issues out of the radio in my 2017.

The first issue was the radio changing stations and the touch buttons (home, map, info, etc.) would lock up and become unresponsive. The dealer swapped in a new radio under warranty and I haven't had that issue since. I think I saw a TSB somewhere about the radio touch buttons freezing up, so it could have been a common issue, but I don't remember now if it applied to the 18/19 radios or all gen 5.

Now, I've been having a broken record effect. When I make a phone call (through bluetooth) and hang up, the radio will usually start skipping or looping like the way an old record would behave when it wore out. I do have the cache radio feature turned on, so it is something related to that system. I can rewind the audio and replay the section that skips, so it's definitely something in the cached audio file. It occurs on all the local stations I listen to, so it doesn't seem to be related to signal strength or HD/non-HD radio.

Has anyone in the community had this problem? I've already set up an appointment for the dealer to look over it, but I wonder if there is something else at play like a shorted wire harness. I find it hard to believe that I would have 2 faulty radios in a row on a model not known for issues with the head unit.
I have had your first issue but not the second, ended up to be the amp under the front passenger seat for me.

· Registered
118 Posts
I have a 2017 and I have seen both of the problems you describe. When the system locks up the only fix is to restart the car (once you get somewhere you can do that.). The skipping comes from cache radio. I turned that off and have had no further problems.

· Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2017 and I have seen both of the problems you describe. When the system locks up the only fix is to restart the car (once you get somewhere you can do that.). The skipping comes from cache radio. I turned that off and have had no further problems.
I have this skipping issue as well. They want almost 2K to replace the radio without trying to find any other issue. I am hoping to troubleshoot this myself. How would I turn off cache radio like you mentioned?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts