Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever remove the belly pan?

Today I removed the plastic cover under the engine and noticed the welds on the frame had rust.
Is this normal? Wondering if this rusted more because it was originally from Rhode Island. Spent the firs 3 years up north. Now it's in Virginia.
Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Your time spent "up north" left some residual chloride in the nooks/crannies.It will continue to eat the metal every time it gets damp or humid. Once it is in there, it is nearly impossible to get it all out.

This is what I would do:
1) Using garden hose (Or squirt-it-yourself carwash) LIBERALLY rinse off EVERYTHING underneath the vehicle.
2) Allow to dry several days. Try not to drive on dirt roads.
3) Apply a protective coating which will 'creep' into the crevices.

I would suggest something like FLUID FILM (Available in cans, spray, bulk)
==>

·
Registered
414 Posts
Thats not normal rust for all outbacks, but pretty normal for an outback in the salt belt. Living outside of the salt it wont get worse too quickly, but it doesnt ever get better! If you want to clean it up you can, it wont look as bad after a good cleaning and some fluid film. If the car still goes into the winter salt you 100% should undercoat the car annually if you want it to look decent when its 5 years old.

·
Brucey
'17 3.6 Limited
10,506 Posts
You guys just reminded me I need to do an update on the fluid film I applied last fall.

I've seen it before but nothing specific to Gen 5 Outback's so figured I would do it.

Really happy with the product.

·
Registered
217 Posts
So this stuff is better than what Subaru applies to the chassis at the factory while the body is removed?

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
So this stuff is better than what Subaru applies to the chassis at the factory while the body is removed?
The chassis (sheet metal) is galvanized and well protected. The frame has a thin coat of black paint and WILL rust. My beloved 2006 Baja turbo LOOKED great.... but underneath, the frame was so rotted that it could not be welded again and was not legal for the road. 10 Vermont winters is about all one can expect from ANY vehicle.

When I bought my 2017 Impreza, it has been professionally undercoated EVERY fall. The frame, calipers, brake-lines and suspension have a sticky, oily, tarlike coating. Time will tell if that annual $250 is money well spent.

·
Brucey
'17 3.6 Limited
10,506 Posts
The chassis (sheet metal) is galvanized and well protected. The frame has a thin coat of black paint and WILL rust. My beloved 2006 Baja turbo LOOKED great.... but underneath, the frame was so rotted that it could not be welded again and was not legal for the road. 10 Vermont winters is about all one can expect from ANY vehicle.

When I bought my 2017 Impreza, it has been professionally undercoated EVERY fall. The frame, calipers, brake-lines and suspension have a sticky, oily, tarlike coating. Time will tell if that annual $250 is money well spent.
What part of the frame went?

My wifes 2006 Baja is in good shape but there is more rust than I would like.

I was thinking an annual Fluid Film would be worthwhile.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Yep...Fluid Film on a car that is a few years old and a little dirty....Amsoil Metal Protector HD heavily applied to a new or near new car. The Amsoil is some nasty stuff...but dries hard like candle wzx and does not just rinse off in six months.

·
Registered
2019 Outback 3.6 Limited
4 Posts
I've been using a Canadian product called Corrosion Free. It's oil based and has the consistency of thick hair gel. It sets up like a tacky grease yet still creeps into crevices. By the end of the week before I wash the car it has already started to creep from the insides of the fenders to the outside. It's not easy to wash off, even with soap and water. I used to take our vehicles to Rust Check (similar to Krown in Canada) but I prefer the Corrosion Free since it doesn't drip after it's been sprayed, and I can do it myself. I've got a 2003 Silverado that I've sprayed every year and it still looks brand new, including the frame. Corrosion Free claims their product is good for 18 months, but I spray our vehicles every fall anyway. The product is a bit pricey, but I consider it cheap compared to replacing rusted out vehicles every 5 years or so.

·
Registered
414 Posts
@Greenrider I cant tell you the last time I have seen rocker panels on a 1999-2007 GM truck in the salt line, those fall off before 10 years! Corrosion Free must really work wonders.

Its well worth doing something or anything to protect your vehicle if you plan to own it more than 5 years.

·
Registered
2010 Outback 3.6R 2014 Legacy 2.5i 2003 Legacy L special edition (retired to backup)
698 Posts
clean with wire brush, spray rust converter on it, clean with brush again and then spray with an etching primer and paint. tape off area you do not want paint on

after a few weeks, start to rinse the underside of the car. if you have a power washer you can buy an attachment that makes that job so much easier

·
Registered
2018 White Outback Touring 2.5i
617 Posts
Ever remove the belly pan?

Today I removed the plastic cover under the engine and noticed the welds on the frame had rust.
Is this normal? Wondering if this rusted more because it was originally from Rhode Island. Spent the firs 3 years up north. Now it's in Virginia.
Thanks.
I had rust starting beneath the rear bumper beam mounts. I spotted it when I removed the beam to put in the OEM hitch. I cleaned it up and Krylon sprayed everything before I put back together. Subaru could have done a better rust proofing job.

Attachments

·
Registered
2018 White Outback Touring 2.5i
617 Posts
Where are all those "modern cars don't rust" people and where have they gone?
They're in hiding. It seems everything rusts. Paint can only do so much I guess. You still have to maintain your stuff. Fluid film looks promising. Like that Amsoil spray I tried but hopefully less $$$.

·
Registered
2018 3.6R Limited
129 Posts
Eastwood Company has an assortment of products to combat rust. Normally I hand wash the cars and hit the underside as best I can with the wand, but in the winter I take them thru a car wash that has an underbody sprayer. I try as much as I can to flush out the salt.

·
Brucey
'17 3.6 Limited
10,506 Posts
I think they are hanging out with the folks that said subaru fixed their head gasket issue in 1999, 2003, 2005 and 2009.
That's it. As soon as I get done replacing these head gaskets I'm going to write about how I'm never going to buy another Subaru because their CVTs are unreliable.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts